Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,220

Ike1985

Headphoneus Supremus
I have not seen a Fir Audio thread yet and they are surely working on top shelf hybrid IEMs, please discuss impressions and thoughts here. I am interested in their electrostat/DD/BA hybrids. Each of these are the best at what they do, dd lows, BA mids and quick and precise estat highs. High level R&D could get them all firing in line and in sync and that would be spectacular.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 6,220
Heyo dropping a message on the thread to get it going!

Just ordered a universal M4, as I've heard consistently amazing things about their IEMs.

Furthermore FiR is doing an upgrade to my A18t (along with a reshell), and the customer experience so far has been absolutely exception, couldn't dream of better.

Will be dropping a review of the M4 soon!

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 6,220
@bogdan belonozhko hope you have been reading...

I have no idea what FiR's plan with the M4 is at the moment, but currently there are 2 versions that may turn out to be the final tuning. The first one, directly after the initial batch, is really good. Solid bass, clean treble, very nice V/U shaped tuning. Very similar to the M5 as well, probably even better. The second one, which was an update of the first tuning to closer match the tuning of the custom was far darker, and honestly kind of muddy and veiled. Not a fan. I hope FiR stick to the former tuning, because that is a fine contender in the world of hybrids at the moment. Would be a shame if they stick to the latest one I've heard.

the first re-tuning, post Singa-Can Jam, seems to be better received, at least amongst the Asian Fiers, hope this is the direction FIR would go with!

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 6,220
@bogdan belonozhko hope you have been reading...

the first re-tuning, post Singa-Can Jam, seems to be better received, at least amongst the Asian Fiers, hope this is the direction FIR would go with!
I’ve talked to Alexander and he seems pretty intent on the third iteration of the M3-M5. I’m not particularly fond of the current M4 but I can still vouch that the current M5 is worth hearing.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 6,220
Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 6,220
https://www.firaudio.com/static/img/kn/iem_technology.jpeg

FIRCON : A whole new IEM connection built from the ground up boasting up to 5000 insertions. Not sure how many insertions 2 pin and MMCX have in comparison? Actually not even sure what an insertion is in the IEM realm...
Insertion means connection of the male and female plug.

Having used the FIRCON plugs, they’re basically square shaped MMCX plugs that are slightly magnetic if I recall and also quite a bit easier to disconnect (but it doesn’t feel loose). It’s a good system but I’m only left wondering why we need yet another connector type when we already have too many. The audio world really needs to settle on an industry standard...

Jul 17, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 6,220
I actually decided to go for the M5 in the end as I got a pretty good deal on it and I can afford it atm

It is going to be the new line of universals though, they haven’t been officially announced yet I believe but Bogdan gave me a sneak peak at them

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 6,220
MvvRAZ

Are you going with their new IEM connector known as "FIRCON"? It seems promising
Sorry forgot to answer your question - I believe FiRcon is standard on their universals, so yeah, I suppose so haha. It comes with an included adapter though, so that should be fine. I generally find one cable I enjoy with a certain set of IEMs and stick to that, I don't tend to rotate cables too much

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 6,220
I actually decided to go for the M5 in the end as I got a pretty good deal on it and I can afford it atm

It is going to be the new line of universals though, they haven’t been officially announced yet I believe but Bogdan gave me a sneak peak at them

Nice!!!
I am considering the same now that 64A has re-released the Forte

From the web site it says recommended so not sure; https://www.firaudio.com/designer/info

I'll call today to find out

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #11 of 6,220
Insertion means connection of the male and female plug.

Having used the FIRCON plugs, they’re basically square shaped MMCX plugs that are slightly magnetic if I recall and also quite a bit easier to disconnect (but it doesn’t feel loose). It’s a good system but I’m only left wondering why we need yet another connector type when we already have too many. The audio world really needs to settle on an industry standard...

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I guess that is pretty obvious (now anyway) Like the time I realized Bananarama was not just an all female music groups name....

So two PIN only 2 insertions
How on earth are they fitting up to 5000 on an area so small

These look very promising !!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 6,220
Thanks for the reply!

Yes I guess that is pretty obvious (now anyway) Like the time I realized Bananarama was not just an all female music groups name....

No, it means the number of times you can connect and disconnect the plug without it wearing out.

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 6,220
Thanks for the reply!

Yup what the guy above me said haha

Depends how much you’re into cables imo - if you’re just going to find one good matching cable for them and leave it at that - 2pin should be fine. If you’re one of these lunatics with 17 different cables they swap on the daily - fircon

I’m super hyped to hear the M5 though, can’t wait

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 6,220
Just had a nice long conversation with Bogdan. I noticed he shared the same last name as the people from 64 audio and he confirmed they are the same family. These sure appear on paper to be my end game IEM ( I only get universals and they are not available yet) . Extra bass is achieved through the placement of the bass drivers (into the shell as opposed to outward) Bogdam says the bass in these is unreal. Full and impactfull with a tactile feel to them yet it won't interfere with the highs. The non elctrostat tweeter is actually a Tia driver with it's cover. He said they will soon be offering a try out tour for us head-fier's. I know of ten local members who will be all over these. Time to start selling blood.... or at least my U18t's :). Universals can not be customized with art and the placement of the Atom vent will be in the back. I sure wish I could drive somewhere to hear these TODAY as they represent a new apex in headphone technology. The fircon (name changed and I did not take good enough notes) cable connector is indeed for durability which is a big problem in the pro audio world from what I am told. Some companies using 2 pin have a two to four month use life before they break.

I am trying desperately to get a hold of one to compare with the other TOL IEM's I now have and have a shoot out....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back