Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #946 of 6,218
Today being a day 2 with my amazing collection of iems now hehi.

I have settle for m4 for today, I stopped doing tests and just have sit to enjoy music, M4 is really appealing and has the good stuff from trio and the m5. I feel like m4 is the all a rounder king. It offers really good open sound perception and has that treble sparkle that resembles the trio. M5 has different sparkle from a estat I seem to prefer m4 in that region, because of edm music...

M4 is warm and bassy, it reminds me of tia trio and cayin n8 combination in bass but something more in between. Not to slow or fast, nor to loose or tight. Really like in between somewhere there...
M4 bass is very pleasant I dont feel any discomfort, the way its tuned is fun alive wavy and really entertaining. M5 lacks on what m4 can do with bass :frowning2: but m4 lacks on what m5 can do with treble dangy lol I wish both signatures where 1.

What I really love about m4 is its really powerful and life like, it can make you feel the music with big authority and naturalness, this exactly what the tubeless are doing, they bring the sound of a open back headphone! Whats interesting is that I really dont have ear fatigue with m4, they are really well balanced in comfort and perfectly tuned to not go beyond particular frequencies limits to not get painful, they are never sharp on notes. I have to admit the gold plated silver here does help in smoothing it even more....

I'd say I could listen to m4 all day long none stop and not being uncomfortable with its sound tuning.

I find m5 to be more natural in sound presentation but I dont find it performs as good as m4 in edm, m5 dont have that bass of m4's which make thing really groovy in edm styles.. also the treble of m4 is more suited for edm to. The sparkle of m4 is more appealing for that typo of music. M5 is so natural that it doesnt have that special zing of m4 in edm. ( slightly metallic sparkly )
But when you listen to real audiophile music my goodness m5 is the best ! the estat treble is so so real life like, its unbeatable!

Vitaly

So far your description seems to align with mine. M4's are getting a lot of head time at the moment . Using M5's on the treadmill with heavy metal and for walks after work.

What are you driving these with?

You can really tell the difference with well recorded music at higher encoded levels. My DSD rock collection has been in heavy rotation on my N8. I guess its the tubeless design. Going back and fourth between a few TOL'er a few months ago and I noticed they sounded almost "distorted" particularly in the male vocal region compared to the M5. The M5 had a life like quality. It could be the tubeless or it might be the added detail of the Estats too ... IDK . The Additional power of the 4.4 gives the bass a more tactile feel.

For some reason I stopped getting update notices about this thread, so lot's to catch up on. I agree, in general, with Vitaly2017 and John2e's impressions of the M4 and M5. I had a very hard time deciding which I preferred between the M4 and Trio when I had the M4 to audition. The short version, doing justice to neither, is I generally preferred the Trio treble and generally preferred the M4 bass. With the M5, if I correctly remember my notes, treble is a bit more delicate than the M4 without attaining the sweetness (the only adjective I could find for the Trio) of the Trio Treble, but the M5 bass gave up a bit of the M4's forcefulness.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #947 of 6,218
For some reason I stopped getting update notices about this thread, so lot's to catch up on. I agree, in general, with Vitaly2017 and John2e's impressions of the M4 and M5. I had a very hard time deciding which I preferred between the M4 and Trio when I had the M4 to audition. The short version, doing justice to neither, is I generally preferred the Trio treble and generally preferred the M4 bass. With the M5, if I correctly remember my notes, treble is a bit more delicate than the M4 without attaining the sweetness (the only adjective I could find for the Trio) of the Trio Treble, but the M5 bass gave up a bit of the M4's forcefulness.
Gotta try the M5 with 3.5mm if you have it. To me, I felt the slight dip in presence and pressure of the bass with the 4.4am balanced, I mostly demo'd the M5 with 3.5mm so I wondered if it was this.. Bogdan made me another custom 3.5mm cable and since going back to that, bass response and low end has returned to its fullness and vibrational presence that I was drawn to in these IEMs. 4.4mm balanced I think draws this away a bit, maybe adding a little color but otherwise much of the sound is the same between the 2 cables. Vocals I think present themselves a little more on 3.5mm as well. Your guys' experience may have been different however

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #948 of 6,218
Gotta try the M5 with 3.5mm if you have it. To me, I felt the slight dip in presence and pressure of the bass with the 4.4am balanced, I mostly demo'd the M5 with 3.5mm so I wondered if it was this.. Bogdan made me another custom 3.5mm cable and since going back to that, bass response and low end has returned to its fullness and vibrational presence that I was drawn to in these IEMs. 4.4mm balanced I think draws this away a bit, maybe adding a little color but otherwise much of the sound is the same between the 2 cables. Vocals I think present themselves a little more on 3.5mm as well. Your guys' experience may have been different however

This is fully dependent on your source/DAP though.

What are you using?

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #950 of 6,218
This is fully dependent on your source/DAP though.

What are you using?

Not so much from what I experienced. Because when I tested these before purchasing I used many DAPs.

AK SP200 - AK SA700 - AK SR15 - AK 300
Cayin N8 - Cayin N6ii (all 3 modules)
Hint R6 Pro
Ibasso dx220
Fiio M11 and M11 Pro
Sony Wm1A - Sony Wm1z - Sony zx500
And others, just to name a few

(This is of course based on stock cable FiR provides with M5)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #951 of 6,218

Interesting. When I had the M5 I used a 4.4mm adapter, none of my sources has a 4.4mm connection. I think the adapter had a 2.5mm connector on the other end.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #952 of 6,218
Wait no more rcx?

Attachments

• IMG_20200219_231518_731.jpg
    IMG_20200219_231518_731.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #955 of 6,218
Feb 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #956 of 6,218
That looks like an mmcx no jokes!

Look closer its circular and not squarish!

Guess maybe its optional maybe?

Isn’t MMCX receded? The RCX connection inside the IEM sticks out like that, whereas most MMCX is inside the IEM and the male part is on the cable? I could be wrong though.

I know FiR stands behind their RCX quite firmly so I’d be surprised if it is MMCX.

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #957 of 6,218
Isn’t MMCX receded? The RCX connection inside the IEM sticks out like that, whereas most MMCX is inside the IEM and the male part is on the cable? I could be wrong though.

I know FiR stands behind their RCX quite firmly so I’d be surprised if it is MMCX.

What if this is an upside down concept, male on iem and female on the cable?

That can work to?

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #959 of 6,218
I highly doubt it :p

Me to I think Fir will keep rcx and technically speaking it is an mmcx coaxial connection just Firs one is square and made heavy duty.
One really good reliable concept

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back