Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jan 31, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #811 of 6,220
I've read several opinions recently that FiR is producing some pretty good IEMs, despite being relatively new.
Bogdan went from being CEO of 64audio to putting up Fir. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #812 of 6,220
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #813 of 6,220
Burn, baby. Burn...
N8+M5: the refined connoisseur version of DX228EXFE+M5....
Like dealing with an elegant lady in late 20s vs. a bumpy energetic teen...
IMG_20200201_094157.jpg

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #815 of 6,220
Burn, baby. Burn...
N8+M5: the refined connoisseur version of DX228EXFE+M5....
Like dealing with an elegant lady in late 20s vs. a bumpy energetic teen...
Yeah the N8 gives it a ton more detail and extra heft in the mids. Amazing pairing you've got there.

Feb 1, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #817 of 6,220
So which module u prefer with your DX228EX?

I’ve actually barely been using my DX228Ex since I got my DX160 (the convenience + SQ package is just too good), but I’m going through them all. The gold (17db) module to me brings up the mids a bit but makes the whole sound a bit more intimate than I prefer, listening with the 15db (silver) one now but I’m getting tired so I will report back tomorrow.

Feb 1, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #818 of 6,220
The reason we haven’t named a lot of our technologies is because we are purists in what we do and too many tech names can come off gimmicky. We’ve taken a more low key route and let people experience our version of perfection. Some have mentioned our circuit as being LID 2.0, as 64 has filed a patent for their design I wouldn’t want to spook anyone over there. The two designs are similar in result but work on different bases. LID is a zobel based design and Fir’s “Xcite” circuit is based on an excitation circuit (codeveloped with an engineer from Kazakhstan) a form of asceticism for IEM’s If you will, to not veer from their true purpose in snd sg. Xcite is a bit more integrated into the crossover than LID and actually does sound Sg filtering. This is what gives it the stability in sound signature as well. It was a necessity as my brother Roman sat in my kitchen listening to m5 prototypes in 2018 he plugged his iPhone 6 in and they sounded like a different iem. We realized how important it was for the Xcite circuit to present itself true to our design on any source.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Feb 1, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #819 of 6,220
I’ve actually barely been using my DX228Ex since I got my DX160 (the convenience + SQ package is just too good), but I’m going through them all. The gold (17db) module to me brings up the mids a bit but makes the whole sound a bit more intimate than I prefer, listening with the 15db (silver) one now but I’m getting tired so I will report back tomorrow.

Used black (-15dB) yesterday on N8 and found the sounds refined and mellow. Just now switched to gold (-17dB) for fa andshort while and found the rumble too much to my taste. Switch to black (-13dB) now and find it sounds a cleaner Sub-bass which fit my taste better.

Can't really hear much difference in the mids and highs. Probably need more play time to figure it out.

Think similar to the A18t, gold module is more suitable for SPK, or when u r using a silver / SPC cable.

Feb 1, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #820 of 6,220
I want an m5, but I can't decide between tip-rolling a universal model with wider and narrowed tips. Or using atom modules on a ciem.

Anyone experience both?

Feb 1, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #821 of 6,220
You can also take universal and make yourself custom tips :wink:

Contact me if you don't know how to do that! Universals with customs tips presents amazing performances excellent isolation and comfort.

The atom xl is great to change the intensity of the bass and for me it's definitely a plus and custom will always be more comfortable.

Feb 1, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #822 of 6,220
The thing is the custom tips won't let me attenuate the sound profile. Unless I make more than one. Going frombwider inner bores to fhinner bores.

Feb 1, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #823 of 6,220
The thing is the custom tips won't let me attenuate the sound profile. Unless I make more than one. Going frombwider inner bores to fhinner bores.
Why would you want to keep changing the sound profile tho?

Feb 1, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #824 of 6,220
Oh, I won't know until I settle on a sound. But after I probably would only be using the one I liked.

Feb 1, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #825 of 6,220

Interesting are you saying you prefer the sound signature of dx160 over dx228 ex? How do they compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back