Fiona Apple-New Album shelved by sony
May 24, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 12
crap, I hope they're not going to make her write a single, like tack it on, just to have a single...come on...the girl has fans, we'll buy regardless of a single and just be pissed of by **** like that.

my dislike for anything Sony still has not stopped growing...

mad.gif
/me is pissed-off but powerless
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 12
Well, the title track to Fiona’s new CD, Extraordinary Machine, has been leaked all over the net and I just listened to it a few moments ago. Man, What???
confused.gif

It’s no wonder Sony has shelved the album. It’s clear that the new CD will never see the light of day and that Sony will drop Fiona very quickly. If she wanted to destroy her career she did a damn good job of it!
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Please. Destroy her career? How can you really make a statement like that after hearing one song? You may not like it but I think it's pretty good stuff. It's different and I like that.

In my opinion Fiona Apple should be commended for branching out, trying new directions, and NOT giving in to the corporate music machine. Hopefully Sony *will* drop her. She'd be much better off with a smaller label that won't try to dictate what kind of music she writes.

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnett
Well, the title track to Fiona’s new CD, Extraordinary Machine, has been leaked all over the net and I just listened to it a few moments ago. Man, What???
confused.gif

It’s no wonder Sony has shelved the album. It’s clear that the new CD will never see the light of day and that Sony will drop Fiona very quickly. If she wanted to destroy her career she did a damn good job of it!
frown.gif

That's funny, I kind of liked the track. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 12
True, I haven't heard any of the other songs from the album. But if they're like the title track it's clear that she intended to 'slap Sony in the face' with the new CD. Normally, I’d really respect an artist branching out -- but only if that artist can actually pull off the new musical direction. From what I heard last night, Fiona simply can't pull of that music style (essentially, Broadway show tunes). Of course, that's just my opinion.

And yeah, maybe she would fit in better on a small label. Then again, she just may stop recording altogether. Perhaps she's sick of it all and wants out of the recording industry. I don't blame her for that . . .

Jul 10, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 12
I really like the song 'Extraordinary Machine'. I've never been a fan of Fiona's, as I've only passively heard her singles, but this song makes me want to explore her catalogue more. In fact I'll buy the album when it comes out regardless, simply after having Extraordinary Machine in my playlist for a couple weeks now.

I'm very interested in hearing 'Better Version of Me'. Off I go to find it!

Jul 10, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
In my opinion Fiona Apple should be commended for branching out, trying new directions, and NOT giving in to the corporate music machine. Hopefully Sony *will* drop her. She'd be much better off with a smaller label that won't try to dictate what kind of music she writes.

well stated. i recall that she was only 17 or 18 when her first album came out, so that means she signed with sony very young, and in her later years, she's certainly seemed to have changed her mind about the music industry.

i'd love for her to go indie, and i'm excited about a new album and new sound.

Jul 10, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 12
Well I just listened to the newly leaked song called “Better Version of Me.” Sounds much better than Extraordinary Machine. Better Version doesn’t sound like she’s completely out of her depth like the title track does. I still think the song Extraordinary Machine is terrible and should only be considered as a B-side at best. Let’s hope the leaks will force Sony to actually release the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back