Finding information is hard. K702 vs HD600
Feb 26, 2015 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sanotter

100+ Head-Fier
I am sorry if this has been asked many times, but through an hour or two of searching I have found nothing conclusive. 

I had the DT990 pro's for 3 years before I broke them - don't ask how 
redface.gif

Now that I am buying new cans, I have a tossup. I have tried K701's with my set-up and they sounded great, however I also have an opportunity to get the HD600's for around 25% extra.

I like to listen to all genres although mainly all forms of Electronic, Rock and Jazz.

The question is, is it worth it for me to get the HD600's for that extra cost, or just stick with the K702's?

Thanks,

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 4
Without a doubt HD600 is a better all around headphone for variety of genres compared to the K702 (I'm assuming you mean the original K702 here). Both headphones have areas where they tend to be a bit "peaky", the K702's in the 2k region and HD600 around 5k, but most people tend to find the latter to be more tolerable. K702's do have better upper highs IMO and since you already had the treble heavy DT900 there's a possibility that HD600 may sound a bit too relaxed for you there.

Another factor to take into account is comfort, if you are getting the older K702's with the bumps it's possible you may find that uncomfortable for extended sessions. The newer K702's made in China no longer have the bumps, thus may be a better choice there if you're getting them new. They're otherwise quite comfortable IMO. HD600 also has a comfort issue of its own with a very strong clamping force to start but you may find it more tolerable after you bend the metal part of the headband/work it in.

Both will need amplification though K702's tend to be more picky with most people in that regard, so keep that in consideration as well if you don't have an amp yet.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 4
The HD600 will shine with most amps as for the K702, not so much. It's pretty subjective on which headphone is theoretically better as they play in the same field, albeit with substantial tonal differences. The HD600 sound is a lot warmer and colored versus the K702, which has pretty flat sound reproduction aside from some some pretty bad treble.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 4
Here's a quick comparison I made a couple of years ago - might help:

Hi FULLAUDIO

Thanks for the impressions.  I am a reasonably long-time owner of all 3 headphones DT880 (mine are 600ohm), K701, and HD600.  I would encourage you (rather than quickly swapping the headphones) to actually spend a day with each - and then see if your ideas on the sound of each actually change.

You may find that after spending longer time with a headphone like the HD600, and only the HD600 - then switching to the Beyer or AKG - that you will then change your mind on which is most balanced.  Instead of the HD600 being overly warm and lacking energy - you may find that they Beyers / AKGs instead sound overly bright.  It's an interesting exercise.  Our brains adjust to what they are used to - then compare other sounds to that base.  As the base changes - so do our impressions of a particular headphone.

Anyway - it's a good idea for a thread - I'll also throw in my quick impressions of all 3.  My set-up is Foobar (PC) > optical out to an Audio-gd NFB-12, then either direct to the headphones or via my LD MKIV (the amp doesn't change the contrast, nor my impression of each).

DT880.
Quite flat  - but with elevated high-end.  Bass extends pretty well and is nicely defined.  Mids appear slightly further back in the spectrum - particularly compared to the highs.  For me - it is the most detailed (like shining a spotlight on the music).  Has the smallest sound-stage of the 3 - but still great for almost any genre.  Very, very comfortable.  Definitely brighter than 'normal' sound.

K701
Again reasonably flat response - but with more emphasis on mid-range and highs.  Bass is recessed compared to mid-range and highs - but what is there is well defined, and IMO sounds really good.  Definitely the most bass-light of the 3.  Does a beautiful job of the mid-range - particularly acoustic and stringed instruments in general.  Widest soundstage of the 3 - by quite a margin.  Imaging is OK - sometimes struggles with center stage (not sure if that is particular recordings though).  Handles fast paced music pretty well.  Appears very detailed - but IMO the Beyer shows more actual detail in comparison.  Comfort because of the bumps in the headband is not great.  Because of this, I removed the bumps, added a small layer of foam, and then finished it with a soft lamb-skin leather layer.  It is now extremely comfortable.

HD600
Whilst I wouldn't call it exactly flat - I would say it gives (to my ears) the most natural presentation of the three.  It is the most life-like and has really good resolution and timbre.  Sound stage is close to the Beyers (marginally larger), but the imaging is better than both to me.  Has a little mid-bass bump, and gives the impression of slightly forward mids.   Appears slower than both the Beyer and AKG.  Appearance of less detail is often misleading - the detail is all there  - it just doesn't have a spotlight shone on it like the others.  Comfort is pretty good - although a bit clampy at times.  Over time they have become more comfortable for me - and sit between the Beyer and my (now modified) AKG.

Of the three headphones - with a good (well recorded) live performance - all three headphones sound superb - but the HD600 is the only one (if I close my eyes) that can actually give me the feeling that I am actually sitting in the audience - their tone, timbre and imaging really is superb.

Short summary (just my view):
Bass (quantity) - HD600 > DT880 > K701
Bass (quality) - DT880 > HD600 = K701 (just different presentation between the Senn and AKG)
Mid-range - HD600 > K701 > DT880
Highs (quantity) - DT880 > K701 > HD600

Sound-stage (size) - K701 > HD600 > DT880
Imaging - HD600 > DT880 =/> K701 (tough to call depends on recording)
Naturalness - HD600 >>>> K701 > DT880
Comfort - DT880 > HD600 > K701

I love all 3 headphones, and I probably spend equal time with each - depends on my mood.  They are all stellar performers for their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back