Finally XIN SuperMacro IV shows up
Mar 22, 2007 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

MrLA

500+ Head-Fier
Took 4 months 5 days to get SM IV from Xin.

SM_1.jpg

SM_2.jpg

SM_3.jpg

SM_4.jpg

...and questions for those who know:

I did some reseach on Xin's amps b4 I placed the order, but since it is so long ago i forget how things put together.

Along with the standard SM IV, I ordered Max8620($99), and a pair of sockets(for AD797).

1. Did Xin install MAX8620 on my amp already? I couldn't see labels clearly on those chips. If he did, where are the standard op-amps that come with standard SM IV?

2. What are those switches mean? Obviously, the first one (from left to right) is an on/off switch, second one when at down position seems to turn gain to high, 3rd switch up seems to turn on bass boost feature...how about the rest?

3. Can SM IV be used while charging like a RSA Hornet? Currently I am powering it with Alkaline batteries.

4. Why it says 'made in USA'?

Comparing to a Hornet that I used to own, cosmetically Hornet wins hands down. Xin's case look and feel cheap. You have to be really careful when taking the top board(not pictured) off and putting it back together so that you won't break some pins, and a thin piece of paper separating battery compartment and ciruit board really laughable to see it there.

I am suprised that it can drive K701 cans loud 'enough' to listenable level. It has a nice smooth sound, not too detail, that promisingly can do double duties at home and on the go.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 37
Xin must be trying to catch up with the Diablo for wait time...
plainface.gif

Congrats! It is a nice and fun little amp but it does not justify the wait IMO. I ordered some opamps 1/22/07 which I expect to see hopefully before the meet in April but I like my Hornet better so far.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 37
The Gain switch has two positions as previously stated. Down is a gain of 3, up is a gain of 8. The bass boost kicks in at about 100 hz, and the impedence switch is the equivalent of the Etymotic P to S (adds a 75 ohm resistor to each channel).

The case may seem flimsy but it is very sturdy. What I do not like is the metal volume knob he installs nowdays. I much prefer the old knob as in:

SupermacrowithiPod.jpg

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xin must be trying to catch up with the Diablo for wait time...
plainface.gif

Congrats! It is a nice and fun little amp but it does not justify the wait IMO. I ordered some opamps 1/22/07 which I expect to see hopefully before the meet in April but I like my Hornet better so far.

With RSA, there's hardly a wait time!
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With RSA, there's hardly a wait time!
wink.gif

you like to rub it in whenever theres a xin thread!
smily_headphones1.gif

To OP: do you mind doing another hornet vs supermacro comparison?

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4. Why it says 'made in USA'?

Well, because it's made in the USA, isn't it? AFAIK Dr. Xin lives and works in the USA. Before he was in California, and now he's in Oregon if I'm not mistaken.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you like to rub it in whenever theres a xin thread!
smily_headphones1.gif

To OP: do you mind doing another hornet vs supermacro comparison?

I'm planning on doing a Macro IV vs. Hornet M write up once my AD8397 and jumpers come. The AD8397 has the same or very close to the same characteristic as whatever is in the Hornet so once I get them in the Macro it should be a pretty fair comparison.

Sorry OP... the floor is yours
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 37
Thanks guy for some inputs...but i'm still looking for verification,

If I have the $99 option "Maxout: AD8620 + 2x stackable buffer" installed on my amp, anybody knows from posted pix above?

Can Xin amp be used while recharging its batteries(if rechargable batteries used) like RSA Hornet?

I have yet compare this amp to other SS amps. I may get a Hornet M next month for comparision, I had blown my budget already this month for buying K1000 cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back