Finally tested some Grados SR 60-80. My reactions.
Jun 17, 2002 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
Just yesterday, i went to a store called Harmony Audio located in San Francisco. The first thing i can say is that i felt intimidated by the store,

felt like i did not belong in such a hi fidelity audio store, all the products they sell are those audiophille type, and the small size of store with man on counter.....made it so much more scary. So expensive too.

so, i went inside.....and was greeted by a guy that was fixing something. I instantly saw Grado's lined up on the shelf.

The first reaction when i hold the SR-60 was that it was extremely lightweight, the built seems a bit fragile too. And i notice that the foamies used did not have any holes in it. The black pad is quite thick too.

So next thing i did was ask for a music cd.....and put it onto my panasonic cd player. The first thing with the sound is ....it sounded very similar to the Spotas that i bought with me. I even did some swap testing. DID NOT AMaze me in anyway. They sound a little muffed too, due to the thick pad. OR maybe due to using power from cdplayer.

Next tried out SR-80, now we're talking....there was more clarity in the music, i can really hear the difference compared to Sportas.
And i noticed that the pads used are different than from the SR60s. its designed with the holes on it...and i can see the driver tape thing.

Still deciding if i should get the SR80s.

So is it really worth the $100 in getting the 80s?

confused.gif
Also im wondering why the sound difference heard from the 80s DID NOT WOW me in anyway.? Even though i did notice the better clarity. or do i really need a high amp to hear bigger difference?

it was also the same week that i saw a guy wearing a pair of Grados in downtown SF. I stand some feet away, and just stared at his phones. Weird.

smily_headphones1.gif

If im welling to spend 100 dollars, What other headphone recommendations are out there?

How about Senns or AKG?

Jun 17, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 17
What sort of music do you listen to? Where do you listen to music? If you do a lot of listening in public places perhaps a closed phone will be better suited for you.

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 17
Using Grados outside is like throwing money down the crapper.

The Grados are incredibly open phones (so much so that for example I can be listening to something at a reasonable volume, rub my fingers together about 20cm away from the phone and still hear it). This means they let EVERYTHING in. They also let EVERYTHING out - once again, someone sitting next to you will hear nearly what you're hearing.

They are strictly quiet home listening phones - and they also need a decent amp to drive them properly. Even the SR60 is underwhelmed by most portable equipment's output (with the exception of something like the iPod). The fact that they let so much background noise through - so you have to turn them up to a distortion-causing level - makes them pretty useless for this kind of application.

Don't buy if you're planning to use them with your portable - follow fiddler's advice and go for a closed - preferably circumaural - phone.

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 17
no wonder the guy kept turning down his Mission stereo down, did it 2 or 3 times while i was listening.

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 17
not sure if i entirely agree that grados are home phones. i know many people use grados portably, and i myself only use grados for portable use. whether or not you want to use them at home or on the go is a matter of taste really.

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 17
what cd player did you use with them? What music were you listening to?

I truly dont think the 60s were properly used if the sportas sounded better. Maybe you just really like koss porta-driver sound, and not grado sound. I personally like my 60's much better than my koss 50's for home.

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 17
I find that my Alessandro MS1 sounds absolutely terrible when I use them while my computer is on. All the high pitch noises goes in and interfere with my music because they are so open. So an audio store is not a good place to audtion them.

Jun 18, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 17
Hi, kenchi1983!

I tried (a year ago) Grado SR-225 and although it IS BETTER phone than my KSC35, no doubt about it, it is more cumbersome, heavier, not so portable and has much more parts that can break down.

I found them to be slightly better than Portas or KSC-35s. I didn't noticed the WOW factor too
mad.gif
They sounded to me like really good tweaked KSC-35 with more detail and better soundstage, but I'm talking about model 225! I can understand you weren't so impressed with the lower SR-80 and especially SR-60.

PS: I listened on Sony ES (XXX-don't remember) CD player in a quiet room to my favourite CD's.

Your
Moonwalker

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Hi Moonwalker, also.

i was the only costomer in the store, so i didnt really want to stay there long. I did see those wood encased grados, but its placed higher in the shelf.

hhahah, if the 225s did not WOW u....then maybe Koss do manufacture superb headphones.

i was using a old pana model sl-200. but still even if i used better higher powered portable cdplayer, i dont think that would make noticeable difference.

i was listening to some Blues music, maybe that was one reason.

and about the koss ksc50s-----on second thought the sound now feels abit distant, and now i use my sportas alot more.---the fit is tighter and my ear seems to be more enveloped into the sound. Even with same drivers---I can NOW say they are two different SOUNDING phones. I prefer the sportas.

Unfortunately, i still have the 'Want' of getting grado sr80. Owning one is so cool. It look so special too, when i saw that guy in downtown wearing it.

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 17
Hi, kenchi1983!

I perfectly understand you.

I was also very heavily tempted to buy these Grados 225 because they WERE ACTUALLY BETTER than my Portas. Many times I asked my wife and she respond it'll be just another different phone in our collection.
biggrin.gif
And not so excellent, she said.
wink.gif
So, purchasing the Grados just for HAVE IT, it doesn't seem like good idea to me now...

Anyhow, if you find them beautiful and be happy with the looks more than with the sound (for XX $!), then go buy them! Otherwise, just think how miraculous the Sportas you own are!

And stop collecting everything new and different. It costs money..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Your
Moonwalker

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
The first reaction when i hold the SR-60 was that it was extremely lightweight, the built seems a bit fragile too. And i notice that the foamies used did not have any holes in it. The black pad is quite thick too.

Next tried out SR-80, now we're talking....there was more clarity in the music, i can really hear the difference compared to Sportas.
And i noticed that the pads used are different than from the SR60s. its designed with the holes on it...and i can see the driver tape thing

You do realize that the pads alone make an enormous difference in a Grado's sound? Just swapping pads alone can turn a pair of Grados into an entirely different headphone. If you liked that clarity, try swapping the SR-80 pads over to the SR-60s. Then you can decide if the 80s are worth it over the 60s, on a more level playing field.

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

You do realize that the pads alone make an enormous difference in a Grado's sound? Just swapping pads alone can turn a pair of Grados into an entirely different headphone. If you liked that clarity, try swapping the SR-80 pads over to the SR-60s. Then you can decide if the 80s are worth it over the 60s, on a more level playing field.

They're also less itchy. But I still wouldn't recommend a Grado phone to anyone who does the bulk of their listening outside, because you're negating the Grado advantage altogether.

Jun 18, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 17
If they didn't wow you, then that confirms my own personal theory that Grados aren't so hot (for some people, like myself)

The SR125s I have had virtually no playtime... as soon as the 'new toy' hype has eluded me, they had nothing more to offer me other than to sit on my CD player... ho hum

If the Koss KSC-35s match the 60s, and nearly touch the 80s... Go (or is that... stay?) Koss!! definetly the way to go!!

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 17
Pads are everything, i have those old style bowl pads and every Grado can i throw them at sound way better than with those damned comfy pads...you guys have no clue what your missing out on.

Plus, Panasonic pcdp's suck ****.

I use my Sony Minidisc unit, MZE75, and the sound is glorious.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back