Finally talked the wife into letting me get open headphones
May 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

First off let me tell you what i have now.

Ipod(lossless) or vinyl - matrix m- stage amp- denon d5000

Now I want to get a second setup for my other room and thought about trying a good open headphone. I do have a pair of sennheiser hd555 and am very disappointed in them. The just don't sound very good to be honest.

The real problem im having is whether or not o buy hd800, t1, or getting something a little lower priced but still great sound. I have read a lot about the hd600 or hd650. Is the sound really $600-$800 better on the higher end headphones.

Could I get excellent sound out of a hd600 or 650 if i amped them properly? I could get headphones and a great amp for the price of the higher end. Or should I bite the bullet and get the "flagship" headphones? Will there be enough difference to justify the money?

I listen to mostly rok/classic rock with some jazz and blues mixed in.

May 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 13
I think, based on everything that I've read here and elsewhere, that it would be best to get a decent set of cans and a really good amp rather than just the high-dollar cans. I would suggest something like the Hifiman HE-500, Beyerdynamic T90, or the Senn HD650. I think any of those paired with a quality amp will give you the sound you're going for. It will also keep you open for the HD800 or T1 in the future since you'll have the amp to power them. If you were to get one of those cans right now, you might not get the most out of them since you won't be getting a high quality amp. I really think that the sound quality from something like the three I mentioned to the top-of-the-line cans like the T1 or HD800 is nominal at best when you consider the high price increase. This is actually the route I will be taking soon and will be probably deciding between the HE-500 and T90 (or T80 if Beyer makes them). Best of luck. 

EDIT: And I suppose the T90 and the HE-500 are both a little pricey. But I've read amazing things about the HE-400, as well, and think those would be a good choice for you. And if you wanted the Beyer sound, I know for a fact that the DT990 sound great as well as the DT880 and those are both more along the price line of the HD600/650.

May 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Heya,

I would put you on the Hifiman HE-400 without having to buy anything extra on top. Otherwise, yes, the HD600 is a good way to go, as is the DT880. I would put both on a nice tube if you feel like jazzing it up.

Very best,

I'm finally using my replaced HE-400s once again. Etta James "The Dreamer" sounds pretty good on them right now.

May 9, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 13
You really need to listen to the headphones before buying them.
Only you can truly decide whether you can live with the sound of them.
You also need to WEAR them for a while to amake sure you find them comfortable.

For example, I cannot wear HD650 for more than a few minutes.
Other people find them to be very comfortable.....YMMV.

May 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I think, based on everything that I've read here and elsewhere, that it would be best to get a decent set of cans and a really good amp rather than just the high-dollar cans. I would suggest something like the Hifiman HE-500, Beyerdynamic T90, or the Senn HD650. I think any of those paired with a quality amp will give you the sound you're going for. It will also keep you open for the HD800 or T1 in the future since you'll have the amp to power them. If you were to get one of those cans right now, you might not get the most out of them since you won't be getting a high quality amp. I really think that the sound quality from something like the three I mentioned to the top-of-the-line cans like the T1 or HD800 is nominal at best when you consider the high price increase. This is actually the route I will be taking soon and will be probably deciding between the HE-500 and T90 (or T80 if Beyer makes them). Best of luck. 

EDIT: And I suppose the T90 and the HE-500 are both a little pricey. But I've read amazing things about the HE-400, as well, and think those would be a good choice for you. And if you wanted the Beyer sound, I know for a fact that the DT990 sound great as well as the DT880 and those are both more along the price line of the HD600/650.

im using my dt990 as my main can for home use, it sounds good but will it really be an upgrade from the hd555 that the op didnt really like the sound?

May 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

im using my dt990 as my main can for home use, it sounds good but will it really be an upgrade from the hd555 that the op didnt really like the sound?

I would argue this is really a judgment call you have to make yourself after listening to both.

I really like the sound of the DT990s, bright, but not too bright, really nice and open and a really exciting sounding headphone with full bass.

May 13, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I would argue this is really a judgment call you have to make yourself after listening to both.

I really like the sound of the DT990s, bright, but not too bright, really nice and open and a really exciting sounding headphone with full bass.

the only sennheiser headphone that i ever owned was the pxc450 (supposedly uses hd595 driver or at least thats what i read) which is the noise cancelling model that i eventually gave to my dad because he needs the noise cancelling more, the pxc450 and the dt990 sound totally different, i dont really know if one is necessarily an upgrade from the other one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back