FINALLY Got the Edition 9! (formerly biting the bullet thread)
Jul 30, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #31 of 105
/drool x2

Covenant, I'll be watching this thread very closely
biggrin.gif

Let us know when them headphones arrive

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #33 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you order your Edition 9 from and how much ?

Northern Sound & Light, who I'm told are the cheapest.

With the 4ft APS V3 recable, 6ft extension (both in super nylon with Switchcraft 3.5mm termination), shipping and insurance it came to just under $1,700 USD.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #34 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Northern Sound & Light, who I'm told are the cheapest.

With the 4ft APS V3 recable, 6ft extension (both in super nylon with Switchcraft 3.5mm termination), shipping and insurance it came to just under $1,700 USD.

I wish I was working
frown.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #35 of 105
[size=xx-small]Source first[/size]

Imo, anyone using headphones on this level owe it to themselves, at some point, to dedicate some time & $$$ to choosing a really good source on par. I understand wanting to get the best output driver (ie. headphone) first. However, getting a better source will augment your audio experience exponentially. Doing so has actually saved me money in the long run. You'll find yourself not fiddling with little tweaks or incremental upgrades so much.

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #36 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DON'T LOOK BACK...

I JUST ORDERED MY FIFTH PAIR OF EDITION 9'S

Holy cow! What are you doing with 5 pairs?
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small](and that's coming from guy with four iRiver iHP140's. Backing up back-up)[/size]

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #37 of 105
So jpelg, what is your better source? The Modwright or the Panasonic (or the Zen)? And do you have a link to some useful reviews of it?

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #38 of 105
The Modwright, of course.

I do consider your Benchmark in the high-end category. It is an incredible value that competes way, way beyond its pricepoint. I've owned two. I just can't do without my hi-rez discs & prefer the naturalness of the modded Denon.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...right_3910.htm

Mine has the tube-rectified power supply too.

The Panny portable is my backup though.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #39 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my curiosity, but why do you need 5 pairs of Ed. 9's? Are you trying to rig up some type of actual surround sound system using headphones?

Well, I have one stock pair, one portable with a 4 foot cableand furutech 1/4 interconnect, one balanced pair with XLR interconnects, one standard length silver dragon cable with 1/4 inch interconnect, and one standard length with Blue Dragon cable and 1/4 inch furutech interconect.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #40 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why recabling it, even before trying it stock to see if you like it? I have been very happy with my two pairs stock, and no plans of going to recable them unless they broke or something...
I strongly suggest you to try it first stock...And if you feel there is something that needs to be changed, then find out the best way to achieve that, most of the times different amps or different sources will go first than the cable, and will do more noticeable benfits...cables are IMO is that last touch to any system, it is like a fine tunning...but to begin with them is IMO not the way to go...First things first...
tongue.gif

Look at Luminette's comments on his stock Edition 9 vs my Recabled Edition 9, and we certainly didn't agree about everything we heard, such as Predator and TTVJ Millett: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/im...ml#post4539055

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette
I had good opportunity to sit down and compare my stock Ed 9s with HeadphoneAddict's v3 recabled pair. I thought I would have to work and maybe not even be able to catch the differences with the recable, but was pleasantly surprised when being able to readily tell that the highs had been tamed just a smidgeon to move them out of potentially fatiguing range. This was the first thing I was looking for. Then the depth and weight of the bass, or maybe just the weight of the bass at lower depths? - reached out to me. I was thinking, wow, this recable delivers the exact two things I want done for my Ed 9s, even more than I would have thought. Absolutely no chance I will end up on team recables are snakeoil now

I also hear a slight veil lifted leading to increased transparency, maybe due to the additional micro-details in the low level ambience cues as well.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #41 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch, I thought that I was crazy when I purchased two pairs of Edition 9
eek.gif

2549011697_7afb4bc5db_o.jpg

I had two pairs with sequential serial numbers #439 and #440, until Kees convinced me a couple of months ago to swap the stock pair plus cash for his HE60/HEV70 baby orpheus. Now I have the best of both worlds.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #42 of 105
Hey Covenant - I did a 6 foot APS V3 with 1/8" for laptop listening, and 4 foot extension with 1/4" plug. Didn't need 4 foot for portable, but I sometimes wish I had done it the other way around like you, with a 4 foot HP cable/6 foot extension instead, because I have a 4 foot HD600 cable.

But now I am wondering if I should re-terminate my 6 footer with a 4-pin neutrik plug, and then do a 4 foot "4-pin to dual 3-pin XLR balanced" adapter, along with a "4-pin to 1/4 SE" adapter". I am dying to try them balanced from my new Single Power Square Wave. Same with my Denon D2000 and APS V2 cable.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #45 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]Source first[/size]

Imo, anyone using headphones on this level owe it to themselves, at some point, to dedicate some time & $$$ to choosing a really good source on par. I understand wanting to get the best output driver (ie. headphone) first. However, getting a better source will augment your audio experience exponentially. Doing so has actually saved me money in the long run. You'll find yourself not fiddling with little tweaks or incremental upgrades so much.

I know what you mean. Though having a great source to begin the chain costs a LOT more than having the headphones.
ph34r.gif

Not to mention the ever evolving technology plus different formats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back