FINALLY Got the Edition 9! (formerly biting the bullet thread)
Jul 28, 2008 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I caved. I can't take it any longer.

The Pro 750 sound has been the closest I've come to the "ideal" sound for me, and if comments about how the Ed9 improve over the Pro 750 are any indication, then this should be my "perfect" headphone.

I'm buying through Alex of APureSound and getting it recabled with a short 3ft APS V3 for portable/travel use, and a 6ft extension for home use.

My bank account already hates me. But I'm excited
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 105
Why recabling it, even before trying it stock to see if you like it? I have been very happy with my two pairs stock, and no plans of going to recable them unless they broke or something...
I strongly suggest you to try it first stock...And if you feel there is something that needs to be changed, then find out the best way to achieve that, most of the times different amps or different sources will go first than the cable, and will do more noticeable benfits...cables are IMO is that last touch to any system, it is like a fine tunning...but to begin with them is IMO not the way to go...First things first...
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I strongly suggest you to try it first stock...And if you feel there is something that needs to be changed, then find out the best way to achieve that, most of the times different amps or different sources will go first than the cable, and will do more noticeable benfits...cables are IMO is that last touch to any system, it is like a fine tunning...but to begin with them is IMO not the way to go...First things first...
tongue.gif

I have experience with the APS V3 and have a good idea of what they do to the sound of a headphone, and HeadphoneAddict's impressions with his APS V3-recabled Edition 9 match mine.

Also, from a purely practical perspective, I want a short cable with a mini jack termination, as well as a mini jack on the extension cord for home use, as my Pico will be my primary source/amp. As the Ed9 has a hardwired cable, there's no way to achieve this with the stock cable, other than butchering it and reterminating it - at which point I may as well get the APS V3.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm buying through Alex of APureSound and getting it recabled with a short 3ft APS V3 for portable/travel use, and a 6ft extension for home use.

if you ever feel like changing phones/rigs - and in this hobby, that happens often - a headphone recabled at 3ft (regardless of the extension) will be a hard sell.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have experience with the APS V3 and have a good idea of what they do to the sound of a headphone, and HeadphoneAddict's impressions with his APS V3-recabled Edition 9 match mine.

Also, from a purely practical perspective, I want a short cable with a mini jack termination, as well as a mini jack on the extension cord for home use, as my Pico will be my primary source/amp. As the Ed9 has a hardwired cable, there's no way to achieve this with the stock cable, other than butchering it and reterminating it - at which point I may as well get the APS V3.

Not sure if I get you straight:

-You have an idea of what a recable will do to a sound that you have never heard before?...
confused.gif

-So are you going to get the Edition for portable use? And with a portable amp?...
confused.gif

Sacrilege!!!!!!
eek.gif

Sorry my honest opinion, save that money and stick with the PL750, to use the Edition for portable use is bordering on the absurd side man, the money is yours, and you use it as you wish, but the headphone grows on along with the chain, a portable amp, any I have heard, not even the LISA, (the best I have heard till now) will do it any justice to it, trust me on that, you will not even be able to hear what it is able to give you, until you try it out of a beefy standalone amp...from any manufacturer, I suggest as usual solid state, other will suggest tubes, that's up to you, but a portable is a no no in my book for it...
confused.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you ever feel like changing phones/rigs - and in this hobby, that happens often - a headphone recabled at 3ft (regardless of the extension) will be a hard sell.

Been there, done that. With an Edition 9, and it was using the butchered stock cable :wink:. The reason is that Edition 9 is a good contender for transportable rigs because of closed nature and ease of driving.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That doesnt much bother me. These are an indulgence, and I fully intend on customising them to best suit my individual needs. If the time came where I was looking to sell them, I'm sure I'd find others whose needs ran along similar lines willing to buy.

Some Sydney Head-Fi'ers who recently bought HD600's complained when they found out they came with 3m stock cables - some of us like to be able to move around the house while listening
smily_headphones1.gif

But on further consideration, I realised that Alex likely measures his recable from the driver to the plug, rather than the bottom of the earcups to the plug, and so I changed my order to a 4ft hardwire with 6ft extension, for 10ft total. Better slightly too long than not long enough.

Quote:

Not sure if I get you straight:

-You have an idea of what a recable will do to a sound that you have never heard before?...

-So are you going to get the Edition for portable use? And with a portable amp?...

Sacrilege!!!!!!

Ever heard of the guy using Qualias on the train out of an mp3 player?
wink.gif

I have owned an APS V3, and have scruitinised what it did to the sound of my HD600. I have heard the Pro 750, which uses the same drivers as the Edition 9. And I've talked with Larry quite extensively about what he's found as a result of the APS V3 recable on his Edition 9. So yes, I "have an idea of what a recable will do to a sound I've never heard before".

As to 'Sacrilege', I never pretended to be a good Christian boy
wink.gif

I do not believe the Edition 9 will be that hard to drive. The Pro 750 certainly sounds wonderful out of my Pico, and since the Ed9 has the same driver, 30Ohm impedance, and with 250mA of current already at my disposal from the Pico (which matches many home amps)...

I appreciate what you're saying about backing the Ed9 with top-notch amplification, and I agree it would probably refine the sound even further. But I for one like the minimalistic approach, and the Pico has shown itself to be a sufficiently heavy-hitter to give me confidence that the pairing wont be entirely disproportionate.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #11 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha i wonder how your e10 will sound with this one

It will be in my review, no doubt
biggrin.gif
The E10 has never failed to impress me so far. I ordered a nice mini to mini IC cable from Alex at the same time as my Ed9, specifically for the purpose of using the E10 as a source through the Pico for driving the Ed9 on the go.

Quote:

And Covenant went to the dark(Ultrasone) side..

fSW_JointheDarkside.jpg

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 105
Sounds both sad and funny to buy $1k headphones for some lousy portable stuff, but I'm certain it sounds fine. Congratulations on your buy.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back