Dec 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheBigHead

New Head-Fier
So here is how my story goes,

After much deliberation the setup i decided on went like this,

AKG 701
Whiplash Starving Student

Using my Computer as the source

I received the 701's from amazon first, I liked them right away. To me they have a very familiar sound as my speaker setup is very linear and uncolored, and my speakers don't produce monster bass without being eq'd.

So I started burning in and listening on the 701's through a yamaha receiver i have hooked up to my computer.

A few weeks later my SS showed up from whiplash, I was very excited. So i promptly hooked it up and turned it on. I was delighted by the looks blue LED's under the tubes look great and the overall build quality was very solid.

So i plugged in my cans and prepared myself......... omg, no sound
triportsad.gif

So i double check my source, its good, check it again yup still good.

Damn defective out of the box, I bet we have all felt the feeling I had, its like Christmas morning you go to open the big present under the tree, and you are so sure its that special gift you wanted, only to find out its a sweater your grandma made, you cry a little inside.

I Contact Craig over at whiplash, great guy btw. Craig was fast to respond to all my e-mails, and was quick to offer a solution that worked out great for me. Being that I am up in Vancouver sending the amp back to whiplash would have taken forever. Luckily there was someone closer to me that i could send it to for repairs.

I boxed up the amp and sent it for repairs, just over a week later I got home from work to find a package on my doorstep. Once again i hook it up and prepare myself.....

WOOT!

That's the best way i can describe my reaction, this little guy sounds fantastic! The first thing i noticed was how "black" the background actually was.

In the headphone world i dont have alot to compare my rig with, all I can say is that to me this setup sounds fantastic, and I look forward to an upgraded source next year and get even better sound out of it.

Overall my experience with Whiplash was a great success, Craig is a pleasure to deal with, and I wouldnt hesitate to buy from him again.

oh and for all you pic monkeys...

Picture001.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Great to hear that you got it back.
Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 9
I love my millet. And the gold sticker would have looked nicer on the front
smily_headphones1.gif

Great amp though. Ill never sell mine. I got an alien dac driving it from my pc into ksc75's right now. Sounds awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back