Finally got a Linn Sondek LP12
May 31, 2004 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
Went to the Home Entertainment Show in NYC last week, and noticed a lot of companies were using vintage LP12's as their source in demos. Always wanted one, but I had heard a lot of older TT's that were good in their day, but sound dull, compared to modern technology.
This thing sounds good. I have it running into a Maestro and a pair of R-10's,
using a SME Series III tonearm and an Alchemist B cartridge. I have no idea what year it is from, but it has a walnut base and is mint.
Anyone have experience with this TT and have suggeations for upgrades or mods? I am running it through my Acoustic Sig Tango phono pre-amp, set on the MC settings, since I can't find any data on the cartridge, and all the other settings, buzz. TIA.

May 31, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 22
Ahh, a brand new "Linnie"... careful, I hear it's a religious cult of sorts...
tongue.gif

Check out the Vinyl Asylum, lots of old timers with suggestions. Last I checked you didn't even need to register there to post.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

Edit -- I see you already did!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 22
If it's made by Talisman, I actually owned one of those many years ago. However, any information I might have had is long since buried somewhere in the older cartridge section of my brain, which I seem to have misfiled.
tongue.gif

Congrats on the Linn. I've always wanted to own one of those, although it looks like it's not going to happen for me now that I've gone the VPI route. Still, I've got my Ariston, which is pretty close
tongue.gif

May 31, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 22
Congrats on your new turntable! That thing is a classic, and likely to only increase in value over the years. Were you ever able to hear one with the naim aro and special power supply? I've always been curious myself, since i've only heard the LP12 with the stock PS and the ekos arm. Was still quite nice though.

Anyways, as for immediate upgrades, the best thing you could probably do for now is make sure that whatever you put it on is perfectly rigid and level. Enjoy!

May 31, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for the replies. I actually, did post at vinyl asylum, and someone did suggest that it was a Sumiko Talisman Alchemist B. My 45 year old eyes thought the B was an 8, but I was very confused, because I had bought it through AudioGon, and the buyer stated that it came with a Goldring Eroica cartridge, and it looked nothing like the Goldrings on the internet.
This fellow was a good guy, though, as he did not want to ship it from Montreal and drove 6 1/2 hours to meet me in Newburgh, NY (I drove 1 1/2 hours to cut a little off his ride), and the price was right. I turned him on to Head-Fi (anyone who would hand deliver a TT, sounds like one of us).
I set my phono-preamp to MC/100 ohm, and that seems to suit Mikhails amp well.
Any other comments or advice would be appreciated. Does anyone know (besides trying to contact Linn), how to find the model year, by using the S/N?

I'll probably bring it to the November NYC meet, being that My Acoustic Signature is too heavy, and it would take an hour to make the adjustments, and we didn't have any vinyl at the meet.

May 31, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 22
Congrats on the new purchase! Sounds like a winner. I'm moving back to vinyl too! Look at my avatar and you'll know what my new source is!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Congrats for making it to 500 posts!

May 31, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 22
That's awesome man. There's some serious vinyl fever going on here.... I was also considering getting a turntable but it wasn't the right moment then as I had to make sure I have enough money to pay taxes
tongue.gif

That's amazing that he drove to hand it off. Well there's some serious love for the equipment and the hobby. I would be afraid to ship it also.

Jun 1, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
Congrats on the new purchase! Sounds like a winner. I'm moving back to vinyl too! Look at my avatar and you'll know what my new source is!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Congrats for making it to 500 posts!

VPI Scout....Enjoy it...gotta get the 16.5 cleaner, now.

I didn't realize I hit 500....Yipee!

You can get some good sounding vinyl from AcousticSounds.com and AmusicDirect.com, but it ain't cheap. But just like multichannel discs, the difference with heavyweight remasters is humongous.

Ian...taxes, we don' have no stinkin' taxes. You can sell your 225's for a TT
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 22
Heres a site with some info that I had bookmarked

http://www.n.mackie.btinternet.co.uk/linn/tlp12faq.html

Hope I did this right - I obviously don't post enough to be a pro at this stuff. I learn more if I just read.

Welcome to the LP12 club. I've had two or three through the years but I have never personally wrestled with the setup/suspension stuff - I've had area experts deal with it. A well setup table can sound special - a not so well setup one can have you sniffing around Regas and wondering what the big deal is. One of these days I will get into it myself - there are probably some of those special words that I haven't used in awhile.

Jun 1, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 22
http://www.n.mackie.btinternet.co.uk/linn/tlp12faq.html

This site is a huge resource and exactly what I'm looking for, Thanks. Keep 'em comin'. I'm going to carefully try to examine the serial #. The seller had the unit tuned up, and had some SME IC's hardwired last year. The powercord is horrible, even lamps would run away. I think that's the first thing I'll change, even though it's not IEC.

Zimmer, BTW...you don't have to put in the quote...as long as you have a valid address it will turn into a hyperlink.

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 22
According to your link, my serial number 045..., the build falls between '84 and '85. Still tickin'
icon10.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 22
Hi,

I used one of these with an Itok arm for many years. The Linn upgrades are Valhalla and Nirvana, can't remember which is first. They were suspension and sub-chassis changes. Dressing the cable via the clip is the most important thing to realise the full sound potential. The second most important thing is the turntable support. You need an open framed, rigid platform, preferably coupled to the floor with adjustable spikes. Mine were as sharp as needles, and would penetrate carpet if necessary, but were so fine that no carpet dammage occured. By open frame, I mean no top on the table so the unit is supported by a flange all the way around leaving the actual hardboard base of the turntable exposed when you look underneath. Sorry I can't seem to explain this any better.
You could contact Linn in the UK for advice, but they will probable direct you to an authorised dealer.

Regards,

John

PS I sold it when I was short of cash, and now regret it. Still, I kept my record collection.

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 22
Linn > Maestro > R10
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

Congrats on your new source!

Jun 2, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 22
Welcome to NIRVANA
I put my old system together again this year (the only thing that remained were my ProAc SuperTablettes). I initially purchased a new Rega P3 however I was not happy with the sound. I felt that my new Naim CD5 sounded better. I bit the bullet and purchased a NEW LP12. I am now in total HEAVEN. This table is truly the BIG KAHOUNA. It is still everybit the wonder it was in 71 when it was first introduced. I no longer listen to CD. Vinyl RULES with my Linn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back