Finally cased my PPAv2!
Mar 10, 2006 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
I finally cased my PPA - well, mostly. I haven't figured out entirely how to mount the TREAD inside the case - so right now the top is off of the case. I'm thinking about moving the TREAD to it's own small case instead of putting it inside the case - it'll also make it easier that way to test my other PPA amp instead of using a this crappy 15 volt walwart, which is probably noisy as hell.
I should also go back in and shorten up some of the wires - particularly the wires running to the headphone jack and power switch are a little long - but before I can shorten them I've gotta go get some more quick connectors.
I may move it to it's own external case - that'll require a quick run to the electronics shop on saturday! I gotta say, I love my dremel!

Sorry, I'm just kind of excited. Next thing to do is to finish casing my Millet and find some plexiglass to put on on the top.

Just gotta find the front and back panels for the Hammond case I'm using.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm still figuring out the parts list for my PPAv2. Do you want to show it off? Use clear plastic for the end panels and throw a couple of LEDs inside. Hammond only has black plastic for the 1455 series case- but a trip to the hardware store will fix that.

Now, all you need to do is mod a PC / Mac case to match.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey GeekGirl,

The clear plastic for the front and back is a great idea. I want to use clear plexi for the top of my Millet, but I don't have a saw so I have no way of being able to cut it to the length / width I'd need it. Making the front and back panels would be easier though - That I could make a rough cut out first with my dremel, put it in place and drill some mounting holes, and then just grind the edges down until they're the right shape - and then polish it up a bit.

Any suggestions on how to cut the plastic without a saw? I suppose I could use a ruler to create an edge, then cut it deeply with a utility knife - somehow clamp the ruler in place and go along its edge with a cutting wheel on the dremel..

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
I want to use clear plexi for the top of my Millet

just make sure there is no heat as plexi gets very soft very easily. Try lexan instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
Any suggestions on how to cut the plastic without a saw? I suppose I could use a ruler to create an edge, then cut it deeply with a utility knife - somehow clamp the ruler in place and go along its edge with a cutting wheel on the dremel..

Most glass shops will cut plexi/lexan to size. Last time I did it the first 2 cuts were free with additional cuts being $0.50 ... it only takes 2 cuts to make a rectangle out of a different size rectangle. The lids on these are plexi: http://www.ecp.cc/images/nigc1s.JPG

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks dsavitsk, that's an excellent idea. In that case I'll probably get them to cut the front and back panels for me too and I'll just round them off with the dremel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back