Finally, after decades of trying, I am impressed with a set of IEMs
May 6, 2022 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

haste347

New Head-Fier
So I grew up messing around with audio equipment. My dad had 70's 'budget audiophile' equipment consisting of the heaviest receiver I've ever seen, a Technics "4 channel" and speakers that had 15" woofers, 8" mids, and 3x 1" tweeters each. The cabinets were about 4x3x3' and were at least 1" particleboard veneers. The woofers had square magnets, oddly enough.

Anyway, I came across my dads collection of cans from the same era. Several had individual volume controls and sounded OK until I got a little older and decided to hook up the headphones that had the 1/4" jack cut (for whatever reason) to the high-level output from the receiver. It was at that moment my eyes were opened to the potential that headphones had with the powerful bass and depth of sound my ears delighted in.

In search of replicating this experience, I purchased a few sets of cans over the years, yes, I foolishly purchased the Bose when they came out, then quickly found a mid range Sennheisers, finally ending up with the HD650s paired to a "desktop" portable amp with my PC as a source (high end sound card). The clarity was there, but was lacking in the bass department, IMO.

Then I desired to have a more portable (and private) audio experience as my career involved more time on planes and cell phones allowed me to toss my FLAC/high-res MP3 library on an SD card to bring an increasing amount of my library with me. I tried a mid-range set of Ultimate Ears (before Logitech bought the company and the highest end was around 1-2k USD) and was not impressed. I trudged along with a few different brands in the lower end category, like 1More (which sound ok), until I decided it was time to give it another go with the discovering of how portable USB DACs had become.

I came here, read a bit, and decided that the iBasso DC04 with a set of IT01s (and corresponding 4.4 cable) met my budget well enough and the reviews of being a great bang/buck gave me hope in an improved experience. Wow! These have really impressed me and taken my experience several levels up. It's the closest I have come to that moment of hooking those old cans to excessive wattage. As I experience these gems, I find myself thinking "Ahhhh, finally" from time to time.

I could be happy for the rest of my life with these, however, this begs the question: what would be the next level up from here? I could see myself spending up to 1.5k-ish on a set of IEMs if the gains would be another several levels up.
What I would seek to improve would be removing the harshness in the upper-mid to lower-high frequencies and reducing the bit of fatigue that I experience with my current iBasso setup.

I greatly appreciate any recommendations!

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 11
ricksome, that is definitely a wise warning, thank you!

Luckily, I learned early on to "buy once" even if it costs a bit more. I also understand that technology progresses, however, I am still looking to invest ~1k on some IEMs that will give me an extremely satisfying audio experience. The ITS01s I've got are very impressive. I believe, from what I have read, that the ITS07s will most likely fit the bill nicely and, unless someone advises otherwise, will be my next purchase.

With that said, I will also purchase a DAC/Amp that is capable of adequately driving the ITS07s and possibly a set of sub $300 cables.
I currently have a DC05/4.4mm and upgraded cables with my ITS01s.

I listen to almost all types of music, except rap and tejano and very little country and present, but non-intrusive deep bass up to natural mids/highs. With me aging, my high frequencies are starting to disappear, so I will most likely prefer a brighter upper range to make up for said loss of hearing.

Can anyone recommend something else I should consider, and would the DC05 be enough for the ITS07s or do I need to upgrade in that area? I am not looking for a dedicated player as I firmly believe the DAC is responsible for the heavy lifting while converting digital sources.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 11
If you want a lot of bass, then the Topping A90 Discrete and Drop x Hifiman HE-5XX with balances cables for the HE-5xx and DC05 4.4mm to connect to the A90 Discrete will do wonders:

https://www.linsoul.com/products/topping-a90-discrete?variant=43412461486297

(Pick at least both dual 3.5mm and 4-pin-xlr connector options)
https://www.linsoul.com/products/tripowin-granvia?variant=41188495130779

https://www.amazon.com/4-4mm-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter-Silver/dp/B07WSRRN1X

https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he5xx?searchId=42b4a03e316fee6a0ec8cf6244f89f58

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 11
ricksome, that is definitely a wise warning, thank you!

Luckily, I learned early on to "buy once" even if it costs a bit more. I also understand that technology progresses, however, I am still looking to invest ~1k on some IEMs that will give me an extremely satisfying audio experience. The ITS01s I've got are very impressive. I believe, from what I have read, that the ITS07s will most likely fit the bill nicely and, unless someone advises otherwise, will be my next purchase.

With that said, I will also purchase a DAC/Amp that is capable of adequately driving the ITS07s and possibly a set of sub $300 cables.
I currently have a DC05/4.4mm and upgraded cables with my ITS01s.

I listen to almost all types of music, except rap and tejano and very little country and present, but non-intrusive deep bass up to natural mids/highs. With me aging, my high frequencies are starting to disappear, so I will most likely prefer a brighter upper range to make up for said loss of hearing.

Can anyone recommend something else I should consider, and would the DC05 be enough for the ITS07s or do I need to upgrade in that area? I am not looking for a dedicated player as I firmly believe the DAC is responsible for the heavy lifting while converting digital sources.

Thanks for any recommendations!
With that budget and with bass performance seeming to be important to you I would recommend a used Sony IER-Z1R.
I have been testing, buying and selling a lot over the years, an the Z1R is really special, and an exceptional deal in today's IEM market IMO.
It has one of the best sound stages and bass quality available in IEMs and treble is excellent as well. Midrange is a little recessed on the stage but the clarity and separation still make it crystal clear and detailed. It really reminds me of going to the movie theatre and hearing that Dolby THX intro.
Theay are also the best IEMs for movies I have ever heard. The one öoint that always comes up is fit since they are big and heavy, but while I have had my share of challenges with IEM fit the Z1R is really comfortable for me.

It does really reward source quality though, so to get the full performance you need to consider a top source in addition.
I'm personally using ith with Chord Mojo 2 and Chord Hugo 2 DAC/Amps, both very good but the Hugo is a sizeable step up in overall SQ.
Other sources typically used are the Sony NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z or the TA-ZH1ES

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 11
If you want to reach the end of the road and be satisfied for a long time, as I recommended in another thread here, you can buy a second-hand kse1500 (about $1500)
It comes with an adjusted amplifier and the sound is perfect, you can hear every detail and nuance without effort, the highs are very detailed but pleasant and not harsh and the bass is just right,
You will then only have to upgrade the source (these headphones are greatly affected by the source),
Mest is also an excellent option.

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 11
If you want to reach the end of the road and be satisfied for a long time, as I recommended in another thread here, you can buy a second-hand kse1500 (about $1500)
It comes with an adjusted amplifier and the sound is perfect, you can hear every detail and nuance without effort, the highs are very detailed but pleasant and not harsh and the bass is just right,
You will then only have to upgrade the source (these headphones are greatly affected by the source),
Mest is also an excellent option.
Interesting, I see where I can get a pair of the KSE-1500s used for ~$700 that looks to have all the accessories. Are there any issues I should worry about at that price, as in can they have a blown driver or inoperative amp?

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Interesting, I see where I can get a pair of the KSE-1500s used for ~$700 that looks to have all the accessories. Are there any issues I should worry about at that price, as in can they have a blown driver or inoperative amp?
In principle, it is well built and the amplifier is also well built,
There is one concern - the plastic that covers the driver is not the strongest there is,
But according to my understanding, it can be fixed quite easily at Shure,
I recommend you ask for close up pictures of it,
If everything is in order - it's a perfect deal,
It will be hard for you to go back to other iems after you get used to their sound,

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Oh, one more thing, you'll have to play a bit with the ear tips until you find a perfect fit for your ear, it's not difficult but it's very significant for the sound in these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back