Finally a decent music phone?
Dec 13, 2005 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ZackT

500+ Head-Fier
Apparently there are rumours that the Nokia N91 has been released.

Still no sign of it down here tho.

Does anyone have it yet?

Why I find it tempting:
1. mixer, 5-band equalizer, loudness, music DRC (Dynamic Range Compression)
2. Answer calls while listening to music and music pauses and then resumes again when the call is ended
3. Supports MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, Real, WAV, WMA, M4A, AMR-WB, True Tones, AMR-NB
4. 4 GB capacity
5. Remote control or use a high quality headphone and connect directly to the 3.5mm audio jack on the Nokia N91

Why I'm cautious:
1. Looks big (and ugly).

Here's a link but there are quite a few if you go looking....

http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.h...nside,main_n91

Dec 13, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aice
I hear that the Sony Walkman phones are pretty good.

Yeah, they're great in that they are a better size. I haven't heard how they sound from anyone. A guy in a shop told me the Sony wasn't nearly as good as ipod quality. But he was sure to have been using MP3 rather than high bitrate AAC. I think the Sony phones do support AAC (which is nice of Sony).

The Sony phones, if I'm right, take memory cards which still cost a fair wack and you'd have to carry around a stack of them to get anywhere up the the Nokia's massive (for a phone) internal 4GB capacity.

Does anyone know if the Sonys can take a standard headphone jack?

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
the sony ericsson sound is good, but with a slight background hiss. the w800i has a 3.5mm jack on its headset. memory stick pro duo goes up to 2gb now.

Really? 2Gb. So I guess the Sony is worth a look then. Have you tried it with decent headphones / high-bitrate AAC files? I'm a bit concerned about the hissing. It would be great to have one device when out and about.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Really? 2Gb. So I guess the Sony is worth a look then. Have you tried it with decent headphones / high-bitrate AAC files? I'm a bit concerned about the hissing. It would be great to have one device when out and about.

i've tried it with er6i and e4c using 320kbps mp3. the sound is good and it has a customisable EQ.

Dec 13, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i've tried it with er6i and e4c using 320kbps mp3. the sound is good and it has a customisable EQ.

Cool, pretty tempted now. I like Sony phones (I've got the SE 610) and the Nokia is way too chunky to be practical for me.

There is the new Sony Ericsson W900i Walkman in black (see link) out soon too.

http://www.expansys.co.nz/product.asp?code=127457

How do you find it as a music player? Would you listen to it out and about? It does have a good battery life (30 hrs they say).

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Cool, pretty tempted now. I like Sony phones (I've got the SE 610) and the Nokia is way too chunky to be practical for me.

There is the new Sony Ericsson W900i Walkman in black (see link) out soon too.

http://www.expansys.co.nz/product.asp?code=127457

How do you find it as a music player? Would you listen to it out and about? It does have a good battery life (30 hrs they say).

my friend has the w900i. i find it good as a replacement for a flash-based player - a good integrated phone+music device. there are on the fly-playlists and controls are pretty straight-forward, drag and drop and uses tags.

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 17
The treo 650 paired with PTunes is as good an mp3 player as you'll get. Plus you also get streaming audio and video capabilities. Without a doubt the best media phone. I guess some of the ppc phones may also be good, but they have much worse battery life. The 650 has amazing battery life.

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
The treo 650 paired with PTunes is as good an mp3 player as you'll get. Plus you also get streaming audio and video capabilities. Without a doubt the best media phone. I guess some of the ppc phones may also be good, but they have much worse battery life. The 650 has amazing battery life.

I had the Palm Tungstin T3 and did some tests. I thought it sounded harsh and tinny compared to my other players. Perhaps they've improved SQ on the 650?

I'm weiry of this phone/PDA though after reviews and quirks like these:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000100022690/

ZT

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

I had the Palm Tungstin T3 and did some tests. I thought it sounded harsh and tinny compared to my other players. Perhaps they've improved SQ on the 650?

I'm weiry of this phone/PDA though after reviews and quirks like these:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000100022690/

ZT

The sound issues on the 650 were related to the ear speaker on the phone and bluetooth headset levels. Both have been addressed with firmware updates. If people still have volume issues there's a $5 program called volume care that seems to make everyone happy.

Sound quality is not as good as my X5 or h120, but I was suprised how good it is. It drives my ue10pros pretty well. Only thing I can say is that it lacks bass by default, so you'll need to do a little EQing.

The phone is essentially a full fleged computer so it is a bit too much for most people. I've used mine mostly for multimedia and internet with great success.

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 17
BIGtrouble77 said:
The sound issues on the 650 were related to the ear speaker on the phone and bluetooth headset levels. Both have been addressed with firmware updates. If people still have volume issues there's a $5 program called volume care that seems to make everyone happy.

Sound quality is not as good as my X5 or h120, but I was suprised how good it is. It drives my ue10pros pretty well. Only thing I can say is that it lacks bass by default, so you'll need to do a little EQing.

QUOTE]
Finally someone using a 650 for audio. can I ask a few questions?
Can the 650 use 2gb or higher sd cards? Is there any hiss in the audio (my palm zire has a hiss )? Do you need an earplug adapter for standard earbuds? what kinda battery life playing audio? Hows the volume level compared to the x5(I also own the X5). sorry for asking so many questions , I would like to get this phone.

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #15 of 17
just got myself a dopod 818pro pocket pc phone. used it with TCPMP software player and the sound is excellent. better than the w800i i would say. it uses SD cards too, which is much cheaper than memory sticks. the picture quality is also superb.

an example:
image000096ao.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back