Final Upgrade - Sound card suggestion
Oct 28, 2007 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

anthonylei

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

This is my current set up

Creative Audigy NX -> optical (toslink to toslink) -> Beresford TC-7510 MK6 -> RCA -> Little Dot MKIII -> Sennheiser HD595

I like to upgrade the sound card for music purpose only
280smile.gif

Any suggestion?

My budge is around $100 but willing to pay more if necessary
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm not familiar with the Creative Audigy NX card but the qustion/comment I have is:

1. Doesn't the Audigy NX card "pass-thru" your digital music source over optical to the Beresford untouched? That is, like a line-out? If so, I don't think upgrading your soundcard is going to improve your setup or desires.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 14
It will make some difference, because of the Audigy resampling issue. Since you using only the optical out, something like AV-710 would suffice, or the card that I use, Prodigy HD2. I don't know how much it costs in UK or the availability there

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TotalDistinction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with the Creative Audigy NX card but the qustion/comment I have is:

1. Doesn't the Audigy NX card "pass-thru" your digital music source over optical to the Beresford untouched? That is, like a line-out? If so, I don't think upgrading your soundcard is going to improve your setup or desires.

I think it does.... because I can add all kinds of special effect on the optical output

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will make some difference, because of the Audigy resampling issue. Since you using only the optical out, something like AV-710 would suffice, or the card that I use, Prodigy HD2. I don't know how much it costs in UK or the availability there

Av-710 is very difficult to get in UK.... so I am thinking a second hand EMU 0404 (PCI version)

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 14
y would go with an x-fi xtreme music. great little sound card usually for aboiut $70-80 on ebay. has bit-perfect output and generally great sound

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 14
why dont you just buy AV-710 from ebay? not that hard to get.

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why dont you just buy AV-710 from ebay? not that hard to get.

yes.... from US.... the shipping cost is more than the card itself

P.S. I live in UK
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Your ideal solution is the M-Audio Transit - it's an USB sound card designed to output the SPDIF signal out, and it is supposed to be bit-transparent using its own drivers. A quick google product search shows that they are around £40 to £50
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=m...firefox-a&um=1
I would compare the coax to the optical and see which you would prefer. Sometimes the optical in on a DAC is not as well designed as the Coax in.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 14
USB sound card -> optical (toslink to toslink) -> Beresford TC-7510 MK6 -> RCA -> Little Dot MKIII -> Sennheiser HD595

Seems like far too many boxes for the easy-to-drive, forgiving, not very detailed HD595.

When I had HD595s I used them as follows:

- Laptop --> Total Bithead (via USB) --> HD595
- iPod --> HD595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back