Final JH3A revision Impressions
Mar 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #211 of 254
I have been reading this forum trying to gather information all the information that I can.  The bottom line is I love the idea of the JH-3A paired with the 16's.  I also like how the amp is left open ended so upgrades can be done.

After doing all the research trying to find the best set up, then doing the math, and then trying to anticipate how that set may or may not sound I decided to stick with JH.  And the other set ups were going to be more money.

So value for performance and the knowledge that its all tuned under one roof per say, I am happy with my decision.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #213 of 254
I got my JH 3A today:

The JH 16 fit purrrrrrrfect, so excited about this since I have heard about fit issues.  
I have just been listing for a couple hours, but so far I love the set up.  I am hearing things in the music I have never heard before. 
The sound is amazing, the power is strong, and I love being able to adjust the base.

more later

May 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #214 of 254
OK guys, based on comments I read here and there, I will go for the JH-3A/JH16 FreqPhase combo. (I hope to be able to tame JH-16's "extra" BASS with the JH-3A bass management !!) .

I hope that  this new combo will really be a step-up compared th the Westone ES3X cIEM that I have 
biggrin.gif

But...

1- I am confused about the digital input: JH-3 have booth Mini-USB & S/PDIF in, but… every one recommend S/PDIF over USB to the point that they (including JH on demonstration) use USB-SPDIF converter to feed from a MAC or a portable device !  
-->  IF S/PDIF  really the way to go for premium audio quality ?  If YES, then what portable USB->Spdif convertor do you recommend ?  

2 - when using an iPhone is the SOLO the best solution ?  This is somehow overkill since the SOLO includes a DAC that is not used at all in this configuration !   
--> Is there a smarter (& smaller) solution for "best sound from an iDevice" with the JH-3A ? 

3 - I also have an iRiver AK100 DAP with a OPTICAL out port.  Will it connect directly to the digital in of the JH-3A ? What kind of cable will I need ? 

thanks in advance

May 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #215 of 254
Quote:
OK guys, based on comments I read here and there, I will go for the JH-3A/JH16 FreqPhase combo. (I hope to be able to tame JH-16's "extra" BASS with the JH-3A bass management !!) .

I hope that  this new combo will really be a step-up compared th the Westone ES3X cIEM that I have 
biggrin.gif

But...

1- I am confused about the digital input: JH-3 have booth Mini-USB & S/PDIF in, but… every one recommend S/PDIF over USB to the point that they (including JH on demonstration) use USB-SPDIF converter to feed from a MAC or a portable device !  
-->  IF S/PDIF  really the way to go for premium audio quality ?  If YES, then what portable USB->Spdif convertor do you recommend ?  

2 - when using an iPhone is the SOLO the best solution ?  This is somehow overkill since the SOLO includes a DAC that is not used at all in this configuration !   
--> Is there a smarter (& smaller) solution for "best sound from an iDevice" with the JH-3A ? 

3 - I also have an iRiver AK100 DAP with a OPTICAL out port.  Will it connect directly to the digital in of the JH-3A ? What kind of cable will I need ? 

thanks in advance

1-S/pdif is the way to go ,I use a audiophileo 2 but there are others (halde bridge,Jkenny) with  a moon audio black dragon cable.you can also use a portable player with a coax out.

2 not sure on this
3-cannot use the optical out on the AK100 but Red wine audio can convert the optical out to coax so you can use it with the JH3a

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #220 of 254
Quote:
Without JH3A they are identical in sound to JH16.

+1

It's funny because with the bass off they sound like the JH13

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #222 of 254
Can't believe I'm still waiting for the JH3A... It's back ordered apparently. I waited 9 months two years ago, and here I am waiting nearly two more months...

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #225 of 254
Received my JH3a amp today.  The problem with the volume control having almost no range still exists.  I can turn it to approx the 9 o'clock when my ears start to bleed, the control is 0 at 7 o'clock for reference.  The other thing is the B/M emits a loud pop in your ears even with the volume off when you switch it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back