Final Fantasy VII Remake
Aug 1, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #62 of 66
I never played FFXI but have heard a lot of people enjoyed it. I do find that is true about XII, one complaint I do have is the English audio has some bad compression on everything but the nice cutscenes, its not an issue when I switch to Japanese audio. The voice acting itself is fine in English, so I do play it in English but the compression can be annoying. Problem with JRPG’s is how cheesy and poorly voice acted they can and unless the dub is good I usually play the native language.

Honestly XIV is a fantastic game though the story does have a slow start (but it gets really good later) and it needs the streamlining of the base game which will happen August 11th. I also gather the free trial will be up to lv 60 once that patch comes out meaning you can play up till the end of the first expansion and its post content free. English voice acting in the first part of the game (ARR) is terrible and stiff, I suggest playing in Japanese audio during this part then either stay with it to keep the most consistent experience or switch to English when you reach Heavensward (when they switch English va studios, so all new va’s with British accents). I love how diverse, enjoyable, and large FFXIV’s soundtrack is; most original tracks of any game ever made.

+1 ffxiv sound tracks, I dont play the game, but i have purchased most of the sound tracks and they do not reuse hardly any tracks at all. Which is more than impressive considering how long mmo's can be. Kudos for square Enix for hanging on to their talented composers.

I used to collect world of warcraft soundtracks, but everything is reused every expansion with very minimal tweaks, very bland and unoriginal.

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #63 of 66
I don't know if you guys played God of War on PS4, but it's definitely worth playing over FF7 Remake. Everything is just quality about the game. Visuals are amazing, and graphics is probably the best out of any PS4 game period. A game that the game play is good in addition to the graphics, which is rare these days. It came out in 2018, and it's in the $20 greatest hits collection now. I'd highly recommend.

I could see why Santa Monica Studio only put out few games over the years. They make sure the games are well developed. And the time they put into the development is worth the product.

FF7 Remake pulls people in for Nostalgia value, but there's plenty of flaws that can be pointed out, whereas GOW is just really well fine tuned and they paid attention to all the details.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #64 of 66
I don't know if you guys played God of War on PS4, but it's definitely worth playing over FF7 Remake. Everything is just quality about the game. Visuals are amazing, and graphics is probably the best out of any PS4 game period. A game that the game play is good in addition to the graphics, which is rare these days. It came out in 2018, and it's in the $20 greatest hits collection now. I'd highly recommend.

I could see why Santa Monica Studio only put out few games over the years. They make sure the games are well developed. And the time they put into the development is worth the product.

FF7 Remake pulls people in for Nostalgia value, but there's plenty of flaws that can be pointed out, whereas GOW is just really well fine tuned and they paid attention to all the details.

I’ve heard about FF7 Remake being for nostalgia value from a friend too. It’s not FF15 bad but by people who played all the recent FF games it seems that it’s FF14 that is the gem of the bunch which I have to agree with but it’s an mmo which means it’s a time sink and not for everyone. FF13 was also a disappointment, never played the sequels of 13. Hopefully FF16 is actually good whenever they get to that, hopefully they get 14’s writing talent on it.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the GOW on PS4 and it looks really good, if I ever get a PS4 or PS5 (since it will be backwards compatible) it’s one of the games I’m eyeing to get.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #65 of 66
Haven't purchased it yet! Thanks for the update SilverEars. That sounds frustrating.

I also find, as I get older, that I have less patience for figuring out the quirks of a game. I do wonder whether that's more on me than on the game designers.

Speaking of the 20 min per attempt, remember how there was no save at the end FFX? You needed to walk to where the last battle takes place (with random encounters on the way), then you're teleported to a place where you can gather items, and then you watch a 5-10 min cutscene before the fight. The first time fighting Jecht, it took me a dozen tries to beat him, and the lead up to the fight got really old.
I definitely understand the sentiment about not having as much time / motivation to play games. I used to be a huge gamer but since I've started working / have gotten older I've found myself wanting to play games only to play an hour or so and then forgetting about it. It's a real shame because a part of me wishes I had the time and the motivation to play games since there's alot out there.

I personally think FFVII Remake is a great game. I was able to play through it all in a week or so without really wanting to put it aside or it getting too stale. I thought the difficulty curve was well tuned and the battle systems / game mechanics had an appropriate level of depth and complexity. I think the game is ideal if you want to play it casually as the game can be quite short (depending on how you play it) and the general story is familiar. There is quite a lot of detail but from a macro level, there isn't too much that happens. If you're a fan of the original game I definitely recommend picking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back