Final decision...D7000 or Edition 9
Nov 16, 2008 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tranzaddict

Head-Fier
I have now narrowed down to 2 headphones that I would like to purchase soon (if I find a good deal), the edition 9 and the Denon D7000. I have not heard either because I did not find any place to audition them, but have read many reviews and understand there sound characteristics. There actually aren’t much reviews of the D7000 yet, but from reading current impressions, they are very similar to the D5000. Reason why I am not going for the D5000 is because I prefer the glossy piano finish of the D7000 and the letterings won’t rub off and also they are a newer model. Yes I love bling, which is why the Edition 9 is in the equation too. Appearance matters to me, and I love the look of both phones.

I’m pretty new to head-fi but would like to start off with some high end phones. I currently have a RSA SR71A portable amp and Klipsch X10 that I use for traveling, and I am now looking into full size closed cans to replace IEMs. I travel a lot so my only choice is portable amps for now, but once I settle down, I will invest in a home amp for sure.

Now the deciding factor…which one is more versatile music selection wise? I listen to a broad range of genre, from classical piano and strings, new age, female vocals, pop, to bass heavy electronic dance genre. Another factor is the bass; I love quality bass that’s both tight and deep with good impact, but of course still maintaining good detail from top to bottom. I hate bright phones, and fortunately both are not from what I read. Lastly if possible, if you heard any or both, can you rank them from 1-10 in the following categories?

Bass extension
Bass quality
Bass impact
Mids quality
Highs Quality
Soundstage
Detail

Thanks so much in advance for your inputs to help me decide, appreciate it greatly.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 23
I've heard the D5000 and the Proline 750's. The D5000's had a loose fit, and was sounding a little hollow. But the bass was powerful and clean. Now, the 750's is one of the most overrated headphones out there, imo, but I think the Edition 9 is pretty much different in every way compared.

I think I would have bought both and delivered back the one I wasn't pleased with
wink.gif
The Edition 9 is probably better for portable use.

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 23
I'll guess:
If you don't buy the Edition9, you'll spend too much time second guessing to enjoy the Denons.
Knowing this, I still have yet to buy my 1000$ "enjoyment can".
Got everything else locked.

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 23
How about like this:
you will have a much easier time transporting Edition 9 - their case is made for traveling, they are smaller, they are much sturdier than Denons. =)

Either one will be great in SQ, much more reasonable to consider the practicality at this point.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I am sure both will be outstanding phones. From what I gathered, both phones will be quite versatile with any music slection. The ED9 being smaller with a carrying case and also foldable is a big plus for travelling, while the D7000 with the lower price tag being considered too, so I'm still unsure which to get. I guess the best would be to try both is what would be suggested. I don't know, I think I will just wait and grab the one with the best deal I can find.

I was considering a Lawton Audio modded D2000 too. But the price tag wont be too far off the D7000 if you throw in the cost of the full mods too, plus I'm not ready for modded phones yet, would like to hear things stock first.

Thanks once again.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 23
I own the Ed. 9's, MD5000, D2000's & have D7000's on order. For simplicity, l'll compare the Denons as a group vs. the Ed. 9.

The Ed. 9 has a very up close presentation like you're almost on the perfoming stage, closer to the bass section.

The Denon's are in the sweet spot of the hall in the center of the audience. Highs are sweeter, more extended and detailed. Bass is more recessed.

At first listen I did not like the Ed. 9's at all (put them away and was planning to sell). After a lot of Denon listening, I began to crave a different perspective, especially with smaller chamber groups, 2 instrument sonatas etc. I found the Denons to be more indifferent, and the Ed. 9's more involving.

I now find that I really like having the two different extreme presentations on hand and couldn't give up either.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 23
Imswjm is right on the presentation difference - Denons are pretty laid back in comparison to Ed 9s, and, Imo, laid back period.

I've gotten to spend a lot of time with the D7000s already (and I own Ed 9s) because I had some on loan for review and taking to meets. They sound like the D5000s but better. Some recabled D2000s would still be my preference.

The Ed 9s are also tighter and quicker.

The D7000s, however, have the better mids - the D7000s = bass and mids. The Ed 9s have recessed mids.

But I find their bass to be a fat load of nothing - that laid back mass bass - not necessarily muddy just... does nothing for me

Now, as for not buying "mod'd" - both the Ed 9s or the D7000s can benefit for the better with the appropriate (for you) cable selection. But of course wait to hear them stock before you get to something like that.

As for portable... lol. Read my "portable hi-fi is stupid" thread linked in my signature. It should have much relevance to you as the star rig I achieved involved the SR-71A and some Ed 9s.. it was what you're after and with the most optimal source possible for portable. I don't expect that you will want to hear what that thread has to say but I beg you to give it some weight!

Also, I almost don't want to suggest my phones to you, though, because I hate the idea of someone who shops by bling (in the manner that you expressed it throughout your post) having anything to do with my beloved
frown.gif

Please stop being silly
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 23
I actually finds that the e9 have more present mids than the d7000. Did d7000 have some kind of mods?

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 23
To the OP - I know the Edition 9's only and wouldn't expect any Denon to be better. It's not true that the E9's have recessed mids. Nothing like that. So I think you should follow MaloS' suggestions. The only thing is whether the E9's match with the SR71A well but basing on some owners' opinions on both, this will work together.

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 23
Agreed
smily_headphones1.gif
most of the ultrasones that I have heard do have recessed mids but the E9 is clearly different from them here.

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 23
I guess we all have different point of view on what is recessed or not but the d7000 should have sounded like they are really lacking in mids then if to you, the e9 have recessed mids. Although the d7000 still have more mids than the pro line from ultrasone.

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 23
Nothing like recessed mids in the E9's. Blame a different part of your headphone setup. The Denon's starting from D5000's color up the sound the way you can think you have more mids but it's actually coloration. With lesser sources or amps it might be a good equivalent for the original midrange quality but the E9's are not intended for such (low) signal quality. I guess each component like transport, source or amp should present equal sound quality level as the E9's (and unfrotunately costly, too, if not DIY). Just my $0.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back