Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 24, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #241 of 4,805
I decided to send my D8000’s back for a refund. They’re just too far from neutral for my preferences. I think the technology implemented has a lot of promise, but the tuning needs some work. If you like a very warm sound signature, like the Nighthawk, but with a larger soundstage and much better treble, then these could be an endgame for you. I prefer a slightly warm signature and more forward mids. I also don’t know why any manufacturer is still producing round earpads. Ears are not round!

Anyway, I have my sights set on the Empyrean and the Sennheiser 820. I’m out!
So is your pair back on sale? :smirk:

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #243 of 4,805
I decided to send my D8000’s back for a refund. They’re just too far from neutral for my preferences. I think the technology implemented has a lot of promise, but the tuning needs some work. If you like a very warm sound signature, like the Nighthawk, but with a larger soundstage and much better treble, then these could be an endgame for you. I prefer a slightly warm signature and more forward mids. I also don’t know why any manufacturer is still producing round earpads. Ears are not round!

Anyway, I have my sights set on the Empyrean and the Sennheiser 820. I’m out!
I appreciated your perspective you shared on your journey with these, interested to hear what you think of the 820s when they come out, I am thinking about those as well.
Was it difficult getting that box put together correctly? I only joke about that because getting the headphones out was truly an unboxing experience haha.

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #244 of 4,805
I appreciated your perspective you shared on your journey with these, interested to hear what you think of the 820s when they come out, I am thinking about those as well.
Was it difficult getting that box put together correctly? I only joke about that because getting the headphones out was truly an unboxing experience haha.

Agree about the Origami box packaging! Glad I'm going to keep mine; I should have made a video of the unpacking to try to reverse the steps. I'm sure there is an unboxing video somewhere on youtube by now, though.

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #245 of 4,805

Those who have opened these know you’re not exaggerating in the slightest! It took like 10 minutes to unpack them.

I hope you continue to enjoy your D8000!

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #246 of 4,805

yes--pretty close to what I was hearing at CanJam.

I heard the bass as somewhat less warm/thick than this reviewer and at least 1 other poster to this thread. I thought the bass really rocked in that planar way I'm so fond of. Then again, the sources were rather variable (one a DAP; the other a Cayin amp of much greater power/quality than any DAP) and I wasn't taking notes, so consider that.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #247 of 4,805

I heard the bass as somewhat less warm/thick than this reviewer and at least 1 other poster to this thread. I thought the bass really rocked in that planar way I'm so fond of. Then again, the sources were rather variable (one a DAP; the other a Cayin amp of much greater power/quality than any DAP) and I wasn't taking notes, so consider that.

Based on what your preferred sound signature is, I’m surprised you haven’t gravitated to the HEX V2. That tuning, comfort, and wide soundstage seems right up your alley.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #248 of 4,805
Based on what your preferred sound signature is, I’m surprised you haven’t gravitated to the HEX V2. That tuning, comfort, and wide soundstage seems right up your alley.

Damn, you're good! That's one of 2 open-back planars I'm researching...the other is LCD-2.1 (pre-fazor).

I spend 1-2 weeks w/an aluminum LCD-2/fazor, liked it enough to want to get a pre-fazor version.

Have you heard the Edition X V2? I'm very interested in it, though I can't get a read on the bass from reviews/user comments.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #249 of 4,805
Damn, you're good! That's one of 2 open-back planars I'm researching...the other is LCD-2.1 (pre-fazor).

I spend 1-2 weeks w/an aluminum LCD-2/fazor, liked it enough to want to get a pre-fazor version.

Have you heard the Edition X V2? I'm very interested in it, though I can't get a read on the bass from reviews/user comments.

Yes it is a very good headphone. My problem was that I only got a chance to listen to it after already owning the HEK V2 for several months. And that ruined it for me and it ruined a lot of other headphones, too, because it is so amazing.

The HEX has a little less treble energy and a more substantial mid bass hump, than the HEK. It’s also light years easier to drive. As you already know, I’m not a fan of too much mid bass because it masks the details of the mids and highs, which I crave. I do like present sub bass though, which is amazing on the HEK. BUT the HEX has tighter bass and a little less quantity (which is a good thing in my opinion) than the D8000 and costs a third less. It’s also more comfortable with larger, ear-shaped earpads. You would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least audition one.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #250 of 4,805

In my setup, with the -2 at 64Hz in the Roon DSP and through the Sony TA zHSE1, the bass is tight and not bloomy at all. It will be interesting to see different folks impressions as they try different amps. I will try driving with my 1Z to test the relative effect of amplifier current headroom. @ToroFiestaSol did mention that some amplifier's current headroom may limit diaphragm control in a planar. I'd have to say I am very, very pleased with the D8000's bass response.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #251 of 4,805
Yes it is a very good headphone. My problem was that I only got a chance to listen to it after already owning the HEK V2 for several months. And that ruined it for me and it ruined a lot of other headphones, too, because it is so amazing.

The HEX has a little less treble energy and a more substantial mid bass hump, than the HEK. It’s also light years easier to drive. As you already know, I’m not a fan of too much mid bass because it masks the details of the mids and highs, which I crave. I do like present sub bass though, which is amazing on the HEK. BUT the HEX has tighter bass and a little less quantity (which is a good thing in my opinion) than the D8000 and costs a third less. It’s also more comfortable with larger, ear-shaped earpads. You would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least audition one.

Thanks for trying and sharing your impressions on this unit. If I understood correctly, D8000 sounds pretty good, not worth its about 4k price tag. It would probably be competitive around 1.5k. One last question is that which one will you pick among hd800s, hekx2, and d8000 if you are allowed to have it free, but not allowed to sale it permanently?

Mar 24, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #252 of 4,805
Thanks for trying and sharing your impressions on this unit. If I understood correctly, D8000 sounds pretty good, not worth its about 4k price tag. It would probably be competitive around 1.5k. One last question is that which one will you pick among hd800s, hekx2, and d8000 if you are allowed to have it free, but not allowed to sale it permanently?

If I could have either of those 3 choices for free, but strictly for my own listening enjoyment, I’d take the 800S. It’s the most comfortable headphone I’ve ever owned, it has that expansive soundstage that I love, it’s built well, and it sounds great.

BUT it’s not perfect, however it’s very close. The perfect 800S, in my opinion, would have slightly less peaky treble (just a few decibels), slightly less recessed mids, and about 5 db’s more sub bass with no roll off down to 20 hz. That would pretty much be my perfect headphone. I find the mid bass on the 800S perfect to my ears.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #253 of 4,805
If I could have either of those 3 choices for free, but strictly for my own listening enjoyment, I’d take the 800S. It’s the most comfortable headphone I’ve ever owned, it has that expansive soundstage that I love, it’s built well, and it sounds great.

BUT it’s not perfect, however it’s very close. The perfect 800S, in my opinion, would have slightly less peaky treble (just a few decibels), slightly less recessed mids, and about 5 db’s more sub bass with no roll off down to 20 hz. That would pretty much be my perfect headphone. I find the mid bass on the 800S perfect to my ears.

Thanks for your candid opinion. I agree that hd800s is perfectly comfortable. And I also agree with you in that if senn fixes its lean tonality in mids along with some weaknesses in treble and low bass, it would be my next purchase for sure.

Mar 24, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #254 of 4,805
Thanks for your candid opinion. I agree that hd800s is perfectly comfortable. And I also agree with you in that if senn fixes its lean tonality in mids along with some weaknesses in treble and low bass, it would be my next purchase for sure.

According to some, that’s what Sennheiser did with the 820. I’ve read that the treble sounds a little smoother and that it actually has sub bass now. And according to some, all that without losing any soundstage. Some guy on Reddit even said that he thought the 820 had a larger soundstage than the 800/800S. He demoed it at Can Jam NYC. That’s just one opinion though. Time will tell!

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #255 of 4,805
I’m very interested in the D8000. It sounds as if they would compliment my Utopias quite well. My only reservation are the new models using the same technology, specifically one version down from the D8000; will the sacrifice be purely aesthetic or is there going to be a performance hit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back