Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #3,107 of 11,642
This particular review caught my eye:
If they can bring out the vocals and fade out everything else, I might be seriously considering these.

i have the piano forte ix (stainless steel) version - it does vocals in a special aluring way.   when i first bought my piano forte -  i find the vocals sounded "dreamy"  sounding , it's like listening to someone singing within the mist..   i thought it was inaccurate representation of the vocals. I thought why in the world would i get a earphone that doesn't sound accurate and worse still it has no ioslation of any kind and hanging in my ear canal.   it defys the logic of my years of listening to dynamic / BA / MA drivers earphones.

After prolonged listening ... i discover that it gives me a closer personal feel to the vocal singer and the indeed the tone of the vocals was way more "human-like". perhaps it's the way that the mids were being presented and that's accompanied by the soft resonance of the charming treble and low subtle bass . Now i'm absolutely enjoying all my Adele / Faye wong albums as if they were my long lost love that i have missed out all these while.

now i have only 2 earphones in my collection - piano forte ix and FAD FI BA SS. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #3,108 of 11,642
I might be opting for the more affordable but discontinued 1601 over the PFIX. As I really have no way to demo them before buying, I figured I'd go for the cheapest FAD house sound. Hopefully it gets close to the signature of thePFs

Oh, and why is the PFX CC more expensive than the PFX G?

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail16187.html
http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail7008.html

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #3,109 of 11,642
I might be opting for the more affordable but discontinued 1601 over the PFIX. As I really have no way to demo them before buying, I figured I'd go for the cheapest FAD house sound. Hopefully it gets close to the signature of thePFs

Oh, and why is the PFX CC more expensive than the PFX G?

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail16187.html
http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail7008.html

if i were you , i would not go for 1601 series.  those are old design.  the 1602 piano forte went thru a revamp in the shape - non replacable tips and it's the shape housing that create the unique horn sounding resonance that marks the sound signature of the aluring mids.   If ever you wish to resell, the 1602 current model will fetch you a better price too.

see the picture for shape differences ** i link this to one of the older post posted by zilch0md **

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3,110 of 11,642
if i were you , i would not go for 1601 series.  those are old design.  the 1602 piano forte went thru a revamp in the shape - non replacable tips and it's the shape housing that create the unique horn sounding resonance that marks the sound signature of the aluring mids.   If ever you wish to resell, the 1602 current model will fetch you a better price too.

see the picture for shape differences ** i link this to one of the older post posted by zilch0md **

Too late. Already bought the 1601SS

Which model would you recommend among PF models?

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #3,112 of 11,642
I lucked out and got a pair of Final Audio Design Piano Forte VIII's on ebay for under $450, used, like new.
Looking forward to hearing them. Hopefully they will have close to the same sound as the more high end FAD's.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3,113 of 11,642
My friend Soundreaq feels the VIII is quite close to his PF IX. You can score the VIII for very little off of e-earphone/Fuijya. Maybe not $450 like Carl (amazing find man!), but $600-ish sure. The 1601 practically sounds normal next to the PF lol. Hope you like em Carl. There's nothing out there that sounds like a PF. I just wish the thing actually fit my ears without hurting, the housing is enormous

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3,114 of 11,642
Too late. Already bought the 1601s.

Which model would you recommend among PF models?

Eve, I have the 1601, the PFVIII &
the PFIX. I think if you listen more to vocals, the PF IX shades it for me. But I must say that the PF VIII is special. Anyway, if you are in Singapore, give me a shout and you can have a listen. Can't go wrong with either. :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,115 of 11,642
My friend Soundreaq feels the VIII is quite close to his PF IX. You can score the VIII for very little off of e-earphone/Fuijya. Maybe not $450 like Carl (amazing find man!), but $600-ish sure. The 1601 practically sounds normal next to the PF lol. Hope you like em Carl. There's nothing out there that sounds like a PF. I just wish the thing actually fit my ears without hurting, the housing is enormous

Pretty much yea lol.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3,116 of 11,642

Pretty much yea lol.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with both of you, gentlemen—at least as far as the 1601SS & 1602SS goes (I believe both of you are referring specifically to the 1601SB & 1602SB, but I'd imagine the same would be true for those, too). Turns out I A/B'd both phones a couple of days ago using my V200, which has two HPOs and allows me to switch phones pretty quickly. If you heard both phones that differently, it may well be due to the different fit you got with both phones.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3,117 of 11,642

Yea... it's either 50k Y for the VIII or 60k for the IX. 
Eve, I have the 1601, the PFVIII &
the PFIX. I think if you listen more to vocals, the PF IX shades it for me. But I must say that the PF VIII is special. Anyway, if you are in Singapore, give me a shout and you can have a listen. Can't go wrong with either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea, I definitely do. Sadly not in Singapore. 

I just lost an auction on a 334...(disgruntled) so kinda trigger happy :frowning2:. Which has me crazy into thinking I might actually want a PF X >.<.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/678735/mint-condition-final-audio-design-piano-forte-x-cc-one-of-best-in-world-price-drop-for-a-quick-sell

Unless someone would like to help stop my urges and buy this before I do.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,118 of 11,642
  I lucked out and got a pair of Final Audio Design Piano Forte VIII's on ebay for under $450, used, like new.
Looking forward to hearing them. Hopefully they will have close to the same sound as the more high end FAD's.

Oh right, I remember that listing. I fell asleep before I could bit XD.

Here's his second listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Final-Audio-Design-Piano-Forte-VIII-8-High-end-earphones-headphones-/171125685033?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item27d7e2bb29

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #3,119 of 11,642
Carlsan, beware of fakes. As far as I know, there are only PF VIII fakes, and EveTan's link above shows the seller is from China. Seems that seller has already sold some fake CDs (check his feedback).

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3,120 of 11,642
Carlsan, beware of fakes. As far as I know, there are only PF VIII fakes, and EveTan's link above shows the seller is from China. Seems that seller has already sold some fake CDs (check his feedback).

I just noticed the fake Nujabes CDs myself in his feedback. Was curious to see whether this guy actually sold any audio gear in the past, but nope. I was very tempted by the listing is why :l

And you may be correct about the fitment of both phones. They are just terribly awkward by my metric, and start hurting my ears after about 10 minutes. Thankfully, I do believe I've found some tips that work out for me in regards to the K3K, but I do not believe any such luck can be had for me with the PF unless they change the shape/size of the housing substantially (my left ear is quite different from my right), which would most definitely alter its unique acoustics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back