Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,896 of 11,629
I was worried about the Heavens not having enough bass, wasn't expecting anyone to say the HV has too much bass, interesting...

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,897 of 11,629
Quote:
I was worried about the Heavens not having enough bass, wasn't expecting anyone to say the HV has too much bass, interesting...

In my view, it depends entirely on how much power you put into them. With the Pico Power, the HVI arguably has too much bass but this is certainly not the case with the Classic headphone out. (Do I have to say IMHO? Take it as a given...)

(Right now I am thinking that the Quickstep is just right but truth is: Pico Power + Heaven VI is sweet, strong bass not withstanding.)

Not sure how I feel about EQ, Shane. I do it often initially with headphones but I always end up abandoning it. I prefer component synergy as a means to arrive at a desired sound signature.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #2,898 of 11,629
Quote:

Heaven IV has an amazing bass, very uncharacteristic of a BA.
It hits hard and tight.
Midrange isn't affected by it, vocals are fantastic.

The only other IEM that has equally great (although differently sounding) bass and midrange is a 340$ Nail 2, but it's impossible to purchase now unless you are visiting Moscow
confused_face.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,899 of 11,629
I personally think a part of it is that very good dynamics on the Heaven V allow the bass to be perceived as being more powerful. It has a certain quality uncharacteristic of most BAs I've heard, not quantity so much as style of delivery.

Someone needs to post up some music that is excellent with the 160X (not any of the Heaven models) before this thread derails itself. :p

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2,900 of 11,629
Quote:
Someone needs to post up some music that is excellent with the 160X (not any of the Heaven models) before this thread derails itself.
tongue.gif

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Oh+You+Pretty+Things/4glwpv?src=5

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2,901 of 11,629
Aug 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,902 of 11,629
Not sure how I feel about EQ, Shane. I do it often initially with headphones but I always end up abandoning it. I prefer component synergy as a means to arrive at a desired sound signature.

I really like the stock tuning, I just think the EQ showcases the pretty awesome vocals that can somewhat be overshadowed by the bass.

I prefer not to eq, as it limits the players I can use but with some phones, a little eq can go a long way; sometimes from meh to wow.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,905 of 11,629
Quote:
Phew! Much obliged.

Two bullets dodged and its not even midday here.

Edit:
Wow that sounded great on my laptop speakers. Maybe they are PF-like not having extension on either end.
tongue.gif

I imagine this would sound sublime on the real things rather than my reasonable facsimile.

I'm just projecting my desire to hear them.
redface.gif

Now that made me laugh!

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,908 of 11,629
Quote:
Shouldn't it be, "Posts not to be taken with a pinch of salt"?

Could this possibly mean that Joe & Currawong are retiring and music_4321 will soon become Jude's right-hand cheerful sparrow? Oh, perish the thought!

Quote:
Quote:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Oh+You+Pretty+Things/4glwpv?src=5

Wow that sounded great on my laptop speakers. Maybe they are PF-like not having extension on either end.
tongue.gif

:)

Quote:
Quote:
Now if I could just find a FAD phone that splits the difference between the SS and the Heaven V, and is made for over the ear wear...

..., preferably a limited Van Halen edition.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't forget it's a limited to one unit. Obviously people on HF have better taste in music than I ever gave them credit for as my Limited-to-One Van Halen Edition Heaven S has been up for sale for 15 months (May 2012) and there's been virtually no interest in this collectors' item. What were FAD thinking, I wonder, when they created such an "abomination"? Been wondering lately whether this unique pair would sell if I lowered the price to £5 (including express FedEx shipping anywhere in the world & PayPal fees).

Quote:

Hate to admit it again, woodcans, but that's quite a nice pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back