Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #2,386 of 11,640
Music_4321 is probably the premier KC fan. He's only recently started posting songs by artists other than them.

I reckon he is Robert Fripp's long lost love child :D

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,388 of 11,640
Quote:
Another King Crimson fan! Neat - Did you enjoy the Adrian Bellew version? (I was a fan around the release of Lark's Tongues in Aspic) Saw them in concert a few times - Met Fripp when I worked in radio - very quiet and unassuming fellow.

LTIA is my favourite KC album. I do like the Belew-era KC, (and particularly love Discipline and the very underrated, and very intense & raw-sounding TCOL), but the 1972-1974 period is a different beast.

Quote:

Music_4321 is probably the premier KC fan. He's only recently started posting songs by artists other than them.

You might want to have a look at the music links I posted in the EX1000 thread two years ago; the ones I posted in the diary thread when I used to post there (waaay before you started posting there) and the links I've posted in this thread since I started posting here (about a year ago) and see exactly just how many KC links / references you'll find.

That said, as you well know (from a KC-related discussion in the diary thread), KC is indeed my favourite band.

Quote:
I reckon he is Robert Fripp's long lost love child
biggrin.gif

There's a pretty good chance you won't be purchasing this album, but I'd recommend—for you in particular, and I do mean this—the following album: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Cannot-Bear-Robert-Fripp/dp/B000BGR312/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371166828&sr=8-1&keywords=love+cannot+bear

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,389 of 11,640
Guys, can you help me with something?

I sold out Govibe Portatube which is bundled together with the earphones, because when I used it through USB output in Fiio E17, I can hear humming and it affects my listening experience. I also plan to sell off E17 to either:

1. Get both discrete DAC and AMP set for computer audio setup. 30% of my listening session is done here.

2. Get a very good portable setup (all-in-one solution, eg. AK100, DX-100, etc. / or / IPC stack with coming soon Hifi M8, or the famous sandwich served by CLAS and other portable amps).

I love tube sounds. But I don't think there's much portable tubes around except for ian's.

So guys, which route should I invest to maximize the potential of PF IX?

Thanks for your input.

Oh ya, assume the budget is $0-1.5k.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,390 of 11,640
Hmm, Well, I am biased but I would recommend the new amp from ASP, the 06'. I have a feeling it is going to be a giant killer. It is also much smaller and longer battery life and being hybrid your getting the best of all worlds.

I can recommend the HM-801 as well. I love mine and at the moment they are selling refurbished ones. I don't know about the other DAP's so can't comment on those.
As for DAC's for your computer, I had a good listen to the Meridian explorer a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. I don't need one though as I don't listen to music when I am on the computer.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #2,391 of 11,640
Tough decisions. I'm considering the Meridian Explorer to connect to a MacBook Pro. For an iPod etc application I have a Pico Power Amp on order with a Whiplash TWag LOD. I haven't decided on a DAC for this setup, but am considering one of the Algorythm Solo DACs and am also looking at a LE Venturecraft DAC and a Fostex DAC/Amp.

I would also welcome comments/recommendations on this subject.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #2,393 of 11,640
NICE.

Gentlemen,

Tomorrow is our second listening of new music in real time on your Piano Forte, if you have them, or your other favorite Head-gear. 

We are listening to RiddleGuy's recommendation: Fauré: Requiem, released on [size=small]Deutsche Grammophon, with Kathleen Battle.[/size]

We live chat through Chatzy abut anything that comes to mind. 

I have "date night" that evening. So, any time before 5pm CST works for me. I propose 4PM, CST, this Saturday, Tomorrow. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #2,394 of 11,640
I haven't really had much time with these (the PF X) in the sense that whilst I've had them on demo for two weeks, I've been paying more attention to other things. I've been really really busy with work etc. I've had several trials with it and am finally getting the hang of getting the proper positioning of the PF X. It does take some getting used to. However, I have now had a little time with them before I return them tomorrow. 

What I will say is that its presentation is very very unique. And because of that trait, it inevitably is genre specific. In my opinion, listening to it takes me on a trip back to the past, and makes me imagine to back when TV was black and white. No, I'm not that old, but there's just that sense or that air of the "time". It all depends on what you listen to, but the PF X really takes you on a trip with it IF you listen to the RIGHT music with it. Remember black and white with the little grain in the sound etc, well think of that with the music, the very raw, "authentic" feel (not with all tracks), maybe even a gramophone. And with female vocals, the PF X is pretty sweet. It adds a sense of space, the bellowing "echo" of a hall/lounge. Simply enchanting. So that is what it is all about to me. Being in the lounge, enjoying a nice drink whilst the lady at the floor with the band entertains. The pianos have just the right timbre and weight in my opinion, the drums (ride and cymbals are a little far back) whilst the rest of the ensemble e.g. saxophone, trumpet are a little further forward. 

Very very special but it is a pair of earphones that one really needs to be able to appreciate. If you just like bellowing out bass in the form of electronic music this will never work for you (and even modern smooth jazz wouldn't work), and I always say that you'd be better off with apple ear buds, not just because they are cheaper, but because they could probably do the job better. 

I can only say that it is with regret that I will be returning these, but for the little time I've spent listening to them, I've enjoyed them, probably too late, but better late than never! 

To end this off, will I be getting them? No. Would I love to have them? Sure, but obviously not as my main pair of earphones. However, I think it would be pretty sweet to have just for pure home listening pleasure to enjoy with a nice glass of whisky, for example. If only the weather where I am wasn't so rubbish. BUT I'm far from being able to afford them and will not foresee owning them unless I struck the lottery and the chances of that happening are near to zero mainly because I don't play the lottery etc. 

If you are a fan of being presented music in a small hall/lounge and have a particular fondness for chamber or old school jazz, the PF X would be a lovely addition in my opinion. It brings the soul into the music (this assumes you listen to the right stuff with it!).

To all those who have enjoyed the PF X or the series etc, I am glad to say I've now been able to join in and at least hear what you've heard and I must admit that I do appreciate the PF X for what it is, something that none of my earphones or any other earphone I've tried has been able to reproduce, but whilst it has been absolutely stunning, it is also massively "flawed". However, maybe being good at a smaller amount of things is the way forward. 

Feel free to disagree with me by the way 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,395 of 11,640
Cravenz,
I think that is a very honest and accurate view of the PF's, I think your thoughts sum up the PF experience really well, thank you!

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2,396 of 11,640
Good comments, cravenz. I have to get the PF X someday and complete the FAD chrome copper collection. I think that working with the chrome copper metal is FAD's real genius. Now that I have the tips and fit right (straight down, no over the ears), the Heaven VI is blowing me away. Yes, Chris, I agree that it is better than the ES5 on a balance of all factors. It deserves to be much more popular than it will ever be. The 1601SC is pure grace. No doubt, the PF X is the wild child of the three but fascinating. Those syrupy mids are unique, at least in my experience.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #2,397 of 11,640
After more than a week not reading this thread i was really can i say upset - what a change in style and loss of focus one or two new posters tried to penetrate the group with.

The ability to read AND to understand what was red could have helped:

Thread to discuss the appreciation for fad headphones and iems.

Nobody here has asked them to post here, but this is a free forum, everybody here has tried to be polite, but no change to discuss on topic here.

Maybe it is the anonymous participation via nickname that some people may find usefull to get heard, to disturb every disscussion they want, in always the same typical style to negate and contradict everything, not discussing on topic instead always defending or attacking , not on facts but personal level, always having a different opinion, a relative point of view, this ... i only wanted to mention, that ... if you are honest, you must agree... , where in real life there is no chance because the people would just go away.

Hope some people (or can i say precisely one or two) here have found a new forum , maybe the turtle soup with vinegar on ice appreciation thread, to celebrate their way to share their appreciation for presenting themselve when i start posting my opinion and experience with fad pf viii and tu-05 here based on real listening experience sharing the appreciation and thus posting here.

My best wishes for this thread and all of you posting and sharing your appreciation for fad

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,398 of 11,640
I believe it was SoundFreaq who a while ago spoke of the PF's bass performance. Despite what the graph(s) may show, and there is indeed bass roll-off, there's aspects that need to be heard / experienced… yes, dare I say the rendering of low freqs on these IEMs is simply remarkable. And how very strange it is that having treble roll-off there's no hunger (for a virtually deaf sparrow) for extra treble presence.

There's a term (often) associated with he PFs: "dense" — this must never—in the case of the PFs—be confused with "muddy", as the PFs are anything but muddy. Midcentric? Oh, yes, and shamelessly so. Yet, for as midcentric as the PFs are, the midrance has a delicate nature, not throwing the mids in your face; there is an impressive clarity to this part of the spectrum. Loving the HD800, K3003 & FI-BA-SS, how can I be so pleased with the PF's treble roll-off and have absolutely no need or wish to do any EQ'ing?

I still maintain the PFs are not as genre-specific as some maintain—or not to the extent I seem to perceive from some people's comments, and I'm certainly not suggesting those who think so are wrong—but I do feel this is gradually becoming a frequent—and somewhat easy—way to describe them (I still have trouble myself describing the true nature of the PFs sonic qualities); the PFs, FWIW, still catch me off guard with quite a few tracks that are not supposed to be the PF's…er, forte. This I've now come to view as the PFs being a phone that kinda 'teaches' / shows you a different way to listen—and look—at music. For several people, it seems, when 'the penny drops', there's no going back, so to speak. To some of us the PFs seem to crete what may be termed "a frequent need for a PF fix".

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,399 of 11,640
NICE.

Gentlemen,

Tomorrow is our second listening of new music in real time on your Piano Forte, if you have them, or your other favorite Head-gear. 

We are listening to RiddleGuy's recommendation: Fauré: Requiem, released on [size=small]Deutsche Grammophon, with Kathleen Battle.[/size]

We live chat through Chatzy abut anything that comes to mind. 

I have "date night" that evening. So, any time before 5pm CST works for me. I propose 4PM, CST, this Saturday, Tomorrow. 

That works for me. That is 6pm for those on Eastern Daylight Time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back