Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 20, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #10,786 of 11,629
I checked the final’s JP website, and found this very interesting wireless IEM:
BBD29F8D-E7C3-4C68-A825-C26DD7C4B466.jpeg

is it an unreleased version, or some limited edition that I have missed?
Thank you very much!

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #10,787 of 11,629
Lucky you! I had to trash my PF-X because they couldn't repair it, ask me to buy new ones! I ended up getting the Lab 2 instead, which I cannot say for sure sounded better or even as good as the PF-X really. Oh well. Happy listening. buddy! :L3000:
The Lab 2 sounds different. The PF range were more niche or focused on producing a certain sound. The Lab 2 is more mainstream.

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #10,788 of 11,629
The Lab 2 sounds different. The PF range were more niche or focused on producing a certain sound. The Lab 2 is more mainstream.
Hmm. I had thought the Pianofortes all had the same components, design and hence, the same sound signature; well, more or less, with slight variations due to the different materials of the different iterations. And the culmination was in the Lab 2, which has its own special cable. I liked the PFs as it's a completely different experience from other IEMS and reminiscent of listening to speakers. I used to use it on flights for movies so I don’t have to remove when talking the stewardesses heh. Now, the lab 2 is sitting next to the Lab 1 in a little Kanemori Takai shrine…

Nov 21, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #10,789 of 11,629
Indeed. The learnings from the PF range formed the basis of the Lab 2. Yes, Takai-san was a good man who challenged us. That’s why I have all the PFs. :)

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #10,790 of 11,629
Has anyone opened the housing of any model Piano Forte or a Lab II? A friend gave me a pair that is many years old and one of the drivers does not produce sound. After troubleshooting I determined that it is a loose connection where the cable connects to the driver. If I apply pressure on the cable connection where it enters the housing, it produces clean sound with no distortion. The repair itself should be simple, however the cases need to be separated in order to gain access to repair the connection. Based on the attached photos from Final's website, the cases appear to be press fit together with very tight tolerances.

If I purchased this item and had the original receipt then I would contact Final for the repair, but this is not the case. I have many years experience successfully repairing headphones, iems, and a variety of other electronics and have a wide range of specialized tools, but I first wanted to see if anyone has already ventured down this path before and was able to provide some feedback.

Attachments

• Piano_Forte_X_CC.6_2000x.jpg
    Piano_Forte_X_CC.6_2000x.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • gallery_dl_lab2-05.jpg
    gallery_dl_lab2-05.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 0
  • gallery_dl_lab2-08.jpg
    gallery_dl_lab2-08.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 0
Nov 29, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #10,791 of 11,629
Has anyone opened the housing of any model Piano Forte or a Lab II? A friend gave me a pair that is many years old and one of the drivers does not produce sound. After troubleshooting I determined that it is a loose connection where the cable connects to the driver. If I apply pressure on the cable connection where it enters the housing, it produces clean sound with no distortion. The repair itself should be simple, however the cases need to be separated in order to gain access to repair the connection. Based on the attached photos from Final's website, the cases appear to be press fit together with very tight tolerances.

If I purchased this item and had the original receipt then I would contact Final for the repair, but this is not the case. I have many years experience successfully repairing headphones, iems, and a variety of other electronics and have a wide range of specialized tools, but I first wanted to see if anyone has already ventured down this path before and was able to provide some feedback.
I had a pair of PF X, which had a similar problem. I asked an agent to have it repaired but after inspection, was told that they couldn’t be repaired. I can’t be sure that this was an official reply from FAD or the agent; in the end, the PF X was retired and I got the Lab 2, on a decent deal so not going to complain.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #10,792 of 11,629

I'd try to contact Vesper Audio. I have a pair of Piano Fortes modded by them with 2-pin sockets, so they must know how to open it.
9jpx3U3.png

https://vesperaudio.com/contact

Speaking of which, this is probably a very rare combo: 2-pin modded Piano Fortes + Fostex TM2 true wireless earhooks.

SqiUyUy.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #10,793 of 11,629
I'd try to contact Vesper Audio. I have a pair of Piano Fortes modded by them with 2-pin sockets, so they must know how to open it.
9jpx3U3.png

https://vesperaudio.com/contact

Speaking of which, this is probably a very rare combo: 2-pin modded Piano Fortes + Fostex TM2 true wireless earhooks.

SqiUyUy.jpg
How do they manage to stay in your ears?

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #10,795 of 11,629
Dec 9, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #10,797 of 11,629
Oh you've never heard the Erlkonig? Man, gotta try those. They are the Susvaras of IEMs lol.

I describe the E series as warm and dark too (and the E5000 being too warm and too dark lol), but for a slightly different reason. Since almost every IEM I've described to people (and people described to me) has a treble more peaky than the E series and the Vision Ears, calling them dark is the more correct language for efficient communication, as they are indeed darker than what most perceive as neutral.

However, once I've gotten used to treble of the E series and the Vision Ears, I realize that they aren't actually missing details. The treble is there, they are just not in my face like most of everything else. And when I switch from that sound to something that I would describe to people as neutral, neutral actually sounds too bright. It's like switching from an SACD to a CD; you never realize how glaring most CDs sound until you've gotten used to SACDs.

(PS. E1000 and E2000 actually has treble peak (visibly and audibly to me), so by E series I mean everything else in the series)
The problem I'm actually having with the E500 and E5000, is that there's a resonance with every eartip (be it foam or silicone) that extends past the nozzles.

The only way the resonance can be taken away in my year long expierence of modding them, is to remove the stock filter in the nozzle, put some cotton wrapped around a thin long block of acoustic foam (I use Senn HD540 foam) and cut the nozzle of the eartip so short, that the front seal part doesn't extend past the nozzle.

This way, there's less, but tighter bass overall, less resonance and quicker transient response.

The E3000, especially my first pair, didn't have that harsh attack as bad as the E5000 (it was still there with the stock tips). My second E3000, which I have now, is worse in this regard than my first pair, but still not as bad as the E5000.

I actually modded my current E3000 to be as smooth in the attack as possible, while not muffling the vocals too much. If I would've done that mod on my first E3000, it would be even smoother in the attack than my current pair, and the overly edgy attack would most likely be completely eliminated.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #10,798 of 11,629
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #10,799 of 11,629
Dec 17, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #10,800 of 11,629
Wow. That's the real dedication.

Sound wise, I like(d) both my E3000 and E5000, but ultimately both proved to be "a money down the drain". :frowning2:

I'll see what ATA comes back with in terms of my options. If its too costly, I may just sell the cable and give/sell the right earpiece to someone.

Regards

I feel obliged to post the update on my E5000 issue. Final Audio support and Addicted To Audio (Australian distributor) teams were absolutely amazing. I sent my E5000 back for the inspection. They were defective and replaced with the brand new ones. Great customer support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back