Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 21, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #9,691 of 11,642
I wish this IEM was my first IEM some years ago, this could've saved me a lot of time and money, lol.

I hear you!

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #9,692 of 11,642
I wish this IEM was my first IEM some years ago, this could've saved me a lot of time and money, lol.

This does not happen with IEMs only tbh :wink: "That's [Moore's law] baby, [Moore's law]... there's nothing you can do about it, nothing" :D

That being said, this is not entirely accurate at least as far as my experience goes. I took me some time to understand a few key things:
  1. Even the best chi-fi tuning is made for ... eastern culture. As a classic-educated european (italian) my gut-preferences are light years apart from those of a chinese mainlander. It takes a lot of direct experience to devine how to "translate" their indications and/or reviews into my tastes, and be able to discard the vast majority of products that may be even very "well made" but simply don't sound anywhere near what I like.
  2. Chi-fi manufacturers' marketing strategy is a one-toner: only keep feeding free units to a sizeable population of self-proclaimed reviewers (a few of which are "incidentally" competent people, but this is totally incidental to the manufacturer's intent) who will build the hype for them via countless blogs, websites, FB groups you name that. Industrially wise, this allows them to just not care that much about product engineering and quality - in facts they just keep releasing semi-finished products, throw them onto a wall as crap balls, and just sit back and wait to see if something sticks.
The above is a big part of the reason why I elected final as a preferred vendor to look at, why am I looking at others like them, and why I hardly will ever again buy any chifi product above "cheap-toy cost" unless I have a close friend lending it to me for a week to assess in advance.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #9,693 of 11,642
Jun 21, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #9,697 of 11,642
Hey guys. Been skimming the thread and talked to a few members to get bearings on which IEM comes relatively close to the full size Sonorous VI or III, technically and tonally.
I now have in mind E5000, B3 and FI-BA-SS and don't mind them being new or used, unless you would advice against used for some reason. Tips or cable recs also welcome.

Question comes from an utter in-ears newbie :relieved:

Edit: to get me started I'm going to just jump in with someone's newish E5000.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #9,699 of 11,642
I’ve been really enjoying this thread after purchasing the e3000. But, reading this thread has also given me the upgrade itch... so I’m targeting the e4000 next. My question is: can the e4000 be driven well from the monolith usb dac amp with iPhone as source? I believe the monolith usb dac amp is comparable to dragonfly red

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #9,700 of 11,642
I’ve been really enjoying this thread after purchasing the e3000. But, reading this thread has also given me the upgrade itch... so I’m targeting the e4000 next. My question is: can the e4000 be driven well from the monolith usb dac amp with iPhone as source? I believe the monolith usb dac amp is comparable to dragonfly red
Should be , and you must collect them all like Pokemon

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #9,702 of 11,642
Hey guys. Been skimming the thread and talked to a few members to get bearings on which IEM comes relatively close to the full size Sonorous VI or III, technically and tonally.
I now have in mind E5000, B3 and FI-BA-SS and don't mind them being new or used, unless you would advice against used for some reason. Tips or cable recs also welcome.

Question comes from an utter in-ears newbie :relieved:

Edit: to get me started I'm going to just jump in with someone's newish E5000.

Hi, as you've already ordered the E5000, I can only suggest trying out the E-type Clear tips. They will reduce the mid-bass and improve clarity so things will be a bit closer to the Sonorous sound. Unfortunately to my ears the E5000 is polar opposite to the Sonorous III in terms of tonality. The latter is bright-neutral with a relaxed upper-midrange and nice bass punch, while the former is absolute bass response monster with a sub-bass that puts many earphones and headphones to shame. Both have cavernous soundstage but the imaging on the Sonorous is definitely miles ahead.

I'd reckon the FI-BA-SS to have the most similar signature to the Sonorous III but I wasn't a big fan of the BA bass on the FI-BA-SS (even though it was better than all of the other single-BA IEMs I've heard till date). Technicalities wise though it'll be the one to take if you want a similar level of performance to the Sonorous III.

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #9,704 of 11,642
And if I were to catch the E5000 as well, would my usb dac amp be able to evolve the E5000 to highest level?

I tried looking for a spec sheet of your thingie and I only found a non clear one but don't worry. Worst case scenario you can always get a dongle like Dosmix/Chartek TPR22 (I own one) which has very good technicalities, powerwise drives E5000 like a walk in the park, and costs like $18 on AE...

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #9,705 of 11,642
And if I were to catch the E5000 as well, would my usb dac amp be able to evolve the E5000 to highest level?
I have a mini amp ( periodic audio nickel) but I don't use it as I find my phone more then enough for all my iems . But if you like to use dongles and amps then yes I think it should make it sound excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back