Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #6,046 of 11,640
personally i dont think the synergy betweem mojo and final audio design iems is good.It will destroy the magic of fad sound signature bc u r trying to change the sound

Well, I'm not trying to change the signature, it is the dac that I have and it does warm them up for those who think they are a bit too stark. If I'm home or transportable I use the Hugo which is less warm and more revealing.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #6,047 of 11,640
Hi all….
I’m not new to the site, but i’ve been an fairly consistent consumer of the informations you guys provide around here…for the last 3-4 years i’ve been also a consistent consumer of head-fi gear.
So far i’ve been able to gather in my collection around 20 pcs varying in all spectre of sound signatures. Mostly IEM’s - Beyerdynamic dtx80, Beyerdynamic DX160,  Future Sonics Atrio M6(mg7pro) , Klipsch X10i, Sony mdr-ex650, Sony XB30ip, Havi B3Pro, Ostry KC06, Hifiman re400,
B&O H3, Beats urBeats, Dunu DN2000J, Grado GR10, FAD Heaven IV and few on/over years - Alessandro MS1, B&O H8, Philips Fidelio L2, Philips M2BT, Sony MDR-1A, and just now got the FAD Sonorous VI. 
Since this is an FAD thread, wanted to share some thoughts. 
I got my Heaven IV about a year ago, and after i first listened to them, i actually wrote a thank you message to a guy who’s review made me buy them. To note that i used their own silicon tips. next day i switched to Comply foams as i find them more comfortable, and somehow i lost the magic. I didn’t realise it at that moment, and i blamed it on the fact that i was a tad drunk the night before, and maybe i got confused. Since then, i put maybe 3-4 hours of listening time on them. Anyway, a few days ago i found them around the house and thought of giving them another try. This time i switched to some Grado GR10 silicon tips(same results with supplied silicons round, small size), medium size, and had them deep inserted in the ear canal……And the magic stroke me again…..So, to my ears, the H4 with Comply foams, and shallow insertion ( good seal) are just average….with silicons, deep insertion and good seal, these are simply fabulous….and its strength  is not in the technical abilities. Is in the portray of music, the enveloping presentation and power that surrounds you. Contrary to most of my others iems, in its sweet spot, it detaches from the reference point of where the sound is coming from…it creates a 3d stage full of sound and instruments around you. It’s simply an addictive musical experience. 
I’ve read countless reviews and comments on this site, and sometimes i feel that this community is split into a mathematical and an emotional approach to music.There is no headphone that i have, that gives me the listening pleasure and emotion of FAD. I truly believe the Grado GR10 has the best technical abilities from everything i have, including my full size cans, but it doesn’t get me involved in the music like the FADs..
That said, i do find them a little uncomfortable with deep insertion, which is the reason i ordered the Sonorous VI. I just want to wait for some burn-in time before i listen to them. so, impressions a little later.

P.S. Sorry for the long post..:)

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #6,049 of 11,640
I had a chance to listen to the Sonorous X today. Unless I go back with my own music on my PAW Gold, my impressions are necessarily compromised. Sonorous X is very easy to drive and sounded quite good from my iPhone 6 Plus. Nonetheless, listening from Jaben Hong Kong's PAW Gold, even with maximum schlock music, it was obvious how much better it is capable of performing if driven properly. 

Negatives:
Kind of heavy
Comfortable enough but not the HD800
Kind of gaudy
Outrageously expensive

Positives:
They seemed to sound bloody fantastic, but not so fantastic that Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On could transcend shaming me as a Canadian.

If I get back to Jabens with my own rig and real music, I will report further.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #6,050 of 11,640
I had a chance to listen to the Sonorous X today. Unless I go back with my own music on my PAW Gold, my impressions are necessarily compromised. Sonorous X is very easy to drive and sounded quite good from my iPhone 6 Plus. Nonetheless, listening from Jaben Hong Kong's PAW Gold, even with maximum schlock music, it was obvious how much better it is capable of performing if driven properly. 

Negatives:
Kind of heavy

Comfortable enough but not the HD800
Kind of gaudy
Outrageously expensive

Positives:
They seemed to sound bloody fantastic, but not so fantastic that Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On could transcend shaming me as a Canadian.

If I get back to Jabens with my own rig and real music, I will report further.

Cooperpwc, you have to try it with a desktop amp! If Jaben has one there. Use the line out from the PAW Gold. You will be blown away: the X really opens up. But do be careful because it is quite sensitive, I advise starting at lowest possible volume and slowly work your way up to a volume you are comfortable with. :)

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #6,051 of 11,640
is it normal for me to prefer fi-ba-ss over lab1 for vocals?
blink.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #6,052 of 11,640
is it normal for me to prefer fi-ba-ss over lab1 for vocals? :blink:

For female vocal, then yes I'm with you. Ss is pretty famous for its female vocal and the present of string instruments. Can't say much about lab1 since I only tried it for less than 30 mins but IIRC the features of lab1 is a bit similar to heaven vii, which is more balance than vocal

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #6,053 of 11,640
For female vocal, then yes I'm with you. Ss is pretty famous for its female vocal and the present of string instruments. Can't say much about lab1 since I only tried it for less than 30 mins but IIRC the features of lab1 is a bit similar to heaven vii, which is more balance than vocal

The FI-BA-SS with a deep fit (to tame treble peaks) and the Heaven VII have definitely more neutral vocals in my book than the LAB 1, which colors everything with a silky warmish hue.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #6,058 of 11,640
i can get the Standard FIBASS for £800.00 or AKR02 variant for £899.99

I think James could better answer this but iirc, AKR02 has a mellower treble and removable cables. Never heard it, just vague memory of what's been posted.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #6,060 of 11,640
I was told that it is made specifically for AK players due to the AK's sterile sound. Gives a warmer gentler sound. I was warned against it unless specifically paired with AK by a final source, I have an AK player but now exclusively pair it with mojo or Hugo so strike with normal fibass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back