Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 27, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #5,596 of 11,629
If this is legit, it gives you an idea of the margins on these things...

That's why for all my purchases I use PayPal and most importantly to use PayPal for goods of significant value e.g. Audeze LCD-3

Also A Heads Up to all Headfiers that Audeze gave out a consumer alert that "A number of LCD headphones were stolen from our facilities. We strongly advise you to verify the serial number before purchasing any product from a non-authorized reseller."

May 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,597 of 11,629
So I'm the one who started this discussion when I mentioned that I ordered the H7 from Touch of Modern for $250.

I first learned about ToMo in one of their sponsored links in Facebook a few months ago. They carry interesting stuff; anything from adult toys to a $30,000 Ducati. FAD fits right in into the kind of products they would carry.

I've ordered a few times from them without incident. My only gripes are that shipping times can be long, and shipping charges can be outrageous. I bought a small keyholder once that should cost maybe $1 to ship, but they charged $5, which I think is the minimum they charge. But I knew about these going in, so no surprises.

With regards to customer service, when I ordered my H7, I specified the matte black version by mistake. So I emailed them asking that it be changed to silver. The website said they will respond within 24 hours, which they did, even though I ordered on Memorial Day. They changed it to the color I want. No fuss.

As for whether these FADs are authentic, here's what they say (in general):

"Are the products authentic?

Yes, every product we sell is guaranteed authentic. We will not sell knock-offs, or copies of original products. We also won’t sell any misrepresented items or anything deemed counterfeit."

At least they're aware of the possibility that there are fakes of the products they carry out there. As for whether they themselves are proficient enough to catch fakes if/when they see them, I don't know. I hope so.

In summary, I'm not worried about ToMo intentionally selling fakes, I'm more worried about unscrupulous suppliers sneaking fakes past their scrutiny.

May 27, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #5,598 of 11,629
Two other things I want to mention based on what others have said here:

1. If FAD is changing their name and logo soon, could these be clearance items that they're hoping to clear stock before they roll out the new look?

2. I did use PayPal with my order. But like I alluded to, I believe Touch of Modern is legit so I'm not worried about their integrity. I'm more concerned whether their suppliers are trustworthy.

May 27, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #5,600 of 11,629
  Arrianne, we are all good.

seeteeyou, I see those as fairly typical BBB complaint results and the company does respond. Lots of satisfaction on the Internet too. Now as for the concern that the FADs might be fake, yes that has to be on our horizon. They could be fake and touchofmodern.com not even know it as I am quite sure that they are buying other's stock. Warranty will therefore be iffy too.

I am tempted nonetheless. It is also true that I was not planning to spend $1000 just now on an IEM that I do not need - even if it is a great price.

Let's see what sonickarma learns.

Email from Final Audio Design :

The site is not fake and also the products they're selling are not fake though, the price is totally wrong. There seems to be obvious mistake for the pricing and we're now complaining to them.
The price should be revised or the products should be taken down from their site soon.

Anyway, we can tell that this item is not fake and legitimate under warranty so you can buy it.

FWIW - I ordered the Forte X Chrome - as regretted selling all my Fortes before
So maybe you get a good deal or maybe it wont be shipped

May 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #5,601 of 11,629

The site is not fake and also the products they're selling are not fake though, the price is totally wrong. There seems to be obvious mistake for the pricing and we're now complaining to them.
The price should be revised or the products should be taken down from their site soon.

Anyway, we can tell that this item is not fake and legitimate under warranty so you can buy it.

FWIW - I ordered the Forte X Chrome - as regretted selling all my Fortes before
So maybe you get a good deal or maybe it wont be shipped

Oh great. Now I hope they honor my order. Guess this is what I get for sharing info here.

May 27, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #5,602 of 11,629

Well that is an interesting reply from FAD! Thanks.

May 27, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #5,603 of 11,629
I juts tried to order the X-CC. I selected Canada which was available but at the end I got a warning that they don't ship the item internationally. It still would have let me "confirm" but I think that it is a bad idea in the circumstances.

The actual price difference to me versus ordering from Price Japan is about $200 - and Price Japan would have more convenient shipping to China. I am in no rush and will hold off for another day.

May 27, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,606 of 11,629
I almost bought a pair of VII but at this point i have the fibass and the VIII is in route(here tomorrow). I also have a pair of E-Q8 and JH13(that i don't use). Crazy to get the VII too, just no time to listen to them all. Add to that four Audio-techica portables. Ed8le and SigPro and i qualify as committable already…...

May 28, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #5,609 of 11,629
Got the Heaven VIII today. They really are wonderful. In my very quick impressions comparing to the fibass I am happy to say that they will complement each other well. I find them (Heavens)to be possibly better balanced and have more bass for sure. Also they are much more forgiving than the fibass. On the other hand the fibass have a much clearer lense to the music and for some reason seem more audio file grade to me. It is easier to plop the Heavens in and immediately embrace them however the fibass take a little bit to acclimate but once you do they are way more detailed and revealing. I don't think it is a bass/mid/treble thing either, it is a driver/design thing. Very different approach to my ears, but again this is a very brief a/b. I think that they Heaven VIII will be way less fatiguing for long listens too.  

Tips- i started with the Heaven silicon tip but then moved to Comply on both pairs.

Update later in the week after listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back