Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 30, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #10,696 of 11,640
Hi all, I got an A4000 this morning so not a lot of time to listen yet but I have some questions...
I took the A4000 to test a single DD iem (until now I have only a Mangird Tea and a Penon Volt) and the Final A series House sound, how far is the A8000 from this A4000 specifically as regards transient speed, timbre, technicalities (separation and positioning of instruments) and above all note decay ?
My sources at the moment are a Chord Mojo and a Xduoo XD05 Bal.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #10,697 of 11,640
Hi all, I got an A4000 this morning so not a lot of time to listen yet but I have some questions...
I took the A4000 to test a single DD iem (until now I have only a Mangird Tea and a Penon Volt) and the Final A series House sound, how far is the A8000 from this A4000 specifically as regards transient speed, timbre, technicalities (separation and positioning of instruments) and above all note decay ?
My sources at the moment are a Chord Mojo and a Xduoo XD05 Bal.

Honestly, no comparison.
The A4000 has the A8000 signature but does not have it's class-leading transient speed, resolution, and soundstage.

As a person who owns both, the clarity of the A8000 is way beyond the A4000.

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #10,698 of 11,640
Honestly, no comparison.
The A4000 has the A8000 signature but does not have it's class-leading transient speed, resolution, and soundstage.

As a person who owns both, the clarity of the A8000 is way beyond the A4000.
Thanks for your notes.
I’ve only spent a couple of hours with the A4000 and i’m liking it. Only the timbre of some instruments (both in the bass region ad in the high) sounds a little “strange”… maybe with burn in something change.
I use Radius Deep Mount or Azla sednaear light and the signature seems less V shaped to me.
Have you noted some “strange” timbre with A8000? Or more in general how do you find the A8000 timbre?

*sorry for my terrible english*

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #10,699 of 11,640
Thanks for your notes.
I’ve only spent a couple of hours with the A4000 and i’m liking it. Only the timbre of some instruments (both in the bass region ad in the high) sounds a little “strange”… maybe with burn in something change.
I use Radius Deep Mount or Azla sednaear light and the signature seems less V shaped to me.
Have you noted some “strange” timbre with A8000? Or more in general how do you find the A8000 timbre?

*sorry for my terrible english*
No Problem.

The A8000 has a very focused tonality and is very fast sounding.

Sometimes people feel that this is strange as the resonance is a little too fast. This is also similar in the A4000.

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #10,700 of 11,640
No Problem.

The A8000 has a very focused tonality and is very fast sounding.

Sometimes people feel that this is strange as the resonance is a little too fast. This is also similar in the A4000.
The more I listen and the less I feel that strange sensation on the timbre, probably with the burn in the driver is improving and maybe my brain is getting used to it, however I like what I hear.
With the Radius Deep Mount tips everything is more balanced to my taste, these A4000 are quite undervalued in my opinion and, wrongly, little considered. They are certainly not suitable for everyone or for all genres but they have their own character.
Now I have a big monkey named A8000 that is climbing heavily on my shoulder.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #10,701 of 11,640
If I have a good fit with the A4000 it is quiet one of my favorites which I have heard till now. Wished it had a longer nozzle. I will order some Spinfit cp240, maybe this will do the trick.
Question: do some of you use a balanced cable with the A4000 and does this improve to the sound?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #10,702 of 11,640
If I have a good fit with the A4000 it is quiet one of my favorites which I have heard till now. Wished it had a longer nozzle. I will order some Spinfit cp240, maybe this will do the trick.
Question: do some of you use a balanced cable with the A4000 and does this improve to the sound?
Not everyone will be able to tell a difference in sound quality between a balanced cable and a single-ended standard one. Have you personally experienced a benefit in sound quality using one? If not, you should get one and audition it carefully. A balanced cable will usually give you more power, but your IEM may not need it. My E5000 is one of my IEMs that basically needs the increase in power, compared what to the single-ended 3.5mm jacks can offer, on my portable digital audio players.

Aug 5, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #10,703 of 11,640
Not everyone will be able to tell a difference in sound quality between a balanced cable and a single-ended standard one. Have you personally experienced a benefit in sound quality using one? If not, you should get one and audition it carefully. A balanced cable will usually give you more power, but your IEM may not need it. My E5000 is one of my IEMs that basically needs the increase in power, compared what to the single-ended 3.5mm jacks can offer, on my portable digital audio players.
I have used a balanced cable with my BTR3k and the Fiio FD5, the balanced output has more output so more headroom. I also found the sound signature tighter more dynamic balanced with that combination. Just asking hear before I purchase a $50 balanced cable which I likely have to modify to get a good fit.

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #10,705 of 11,640
There is a cable that fits the A4000 recessed 2 pin connectors without cutting here or there?
None that I know.

I ended up going back to the stock cable over my short balanced one, as the non-existent sonic improvements were not worth the hassle (the ergonomics of those so-called convenient 45cm cables are actually catastrophic). Also lets me use the tube output on my N3Pro, which I like better than the balanced out on my Qudelix.

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #10,706 of 11,640
None that I know.

I ended up going back to the stock cable over my short balanced one, as the non-existent sonic improvements were not worth the hassle (the ergonomics of those so-called convenient 45cm cables are actually catastrophic). Also lets me use the tube output on my N3Pro, which I like better than the balanced out on my Qudelix.
mmm bad to know... if someone need a replacement cable maybe not for sonic improvements but for some accidental damages to the stock cable.

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #10,707 of 11,640
mmm bad to know... if someone need a replacement cable maybe not for sonic improvements but for some accidental damages to the stock cable.
True. Well at least it’s detachable. I don’t know how warranty is handled in that case.

Aug 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #10,708 of 11,640
There is a cable that fits the A4000 recessed 2 pin connectors without cutting here or there?
All of my usual 2-pin cables fit the A3k and A4k just fine.

I’ve tried the PW Audio Xerxes and Saladin, PW Audio x Empire Ears Stormbreaker (which is basically the 1960s), Effect Audio Ares II (with ConX) and the Cleopatra, and pictured below with the DHC Complement C. All without any need of cutting… I didn’t even know that was an issue.

296F512A-563D-4B7A-8846-032C33C628AE.jpeg

Aug 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #10,709 of 11,640
All of my usual 2-pin cables fit the A3k and A4k just fine.

I’ve tried the PW Audio Xerxes and Saladin, PW Audio x Empire Ears Stormbreaker (which is basically the 1960s), Effect Audio Ares II (with ConX) and the Cleopatra, and pictured below with the DHC Complement C. All without any need of cutting… I didn’t even know that was an issue.

296F512A-563D-4B7A-8846-032C33C628AE.jpeg
Nice cable you have there :wink:
And good to know there are still cables that will fit without fiddling around.
Do you also hear differences when using a balanced cable ?

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #10,710 of 11,640
Nice cable you have there :wink:
And good to know there are still cables that will fit without fiddling around.
Do you also hear differences when using a balanced cable ?
Thanks lol

and I was actually surprised it was an issue trying to find cables to fit them. They’re pretty much the standard recessed 0.78 2-pins.

As for if I hear a difference when using a balanced cable, yes. The A3k is especially power hungry. I was surprised since it was just a small single DD driver, but I really had to push the volume quite a bit more for it. So pairing it with a balanced source with the added power benefits the A3k a lot. The A4k while it also scales well, it’s not as power hungry. It’s more efficient than the little brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back