Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 6, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,611 of 4,805
I dunno, crinnacle seems prett deaf to me going by all his Meze reviews.

I recommend checking out his reviews of headphones you know well, and then to decide if it matches with your opinion of them
his impression of abyss HP's seem kind of crazy to me

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,612 of 4,805
1659828399879.png

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #2,613 of 4,805
randomly came across Crinacle's headphone ranking- https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

He describes tonality of D8000 as "High treble-to-midrange contrast makes things sound shrill and borderline-sibilant.". Not sure if measurements back that up or not but I have not heard any sibilance so found this strange. Curious if you agree with this assessment?

The other thing is that he rates the technical performance of both D8K and D8K Pro an A which is the same rating he gives the LCD-2 Classic. At this stage, I am not convinced we are listening to the same headphone lol
Maybe his equipment wasn't a good match or he had a migraine, or his VAC was low - all those things have screwed evaluations of mine...

Of course I look at his stuff, but I disregard his ridiculous advice under 100 Hz ( average room and random listener bias towards more bass) flies in the face of accuracy and musical truth.

His placement of the original Ananda which has meh bass impact, lacks body, threadbare harmonics? Pfff..

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #2,614 of 4,805
randomly came across Crinacle's headphone ranking- https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

He describes tonality of D8000 as "High treble-to-midrange contrast makes things sound shrill and borderline-sibilant.". Not sure if measurements back that up or not but I have not heard any sibilance so found this strange. Curious if you agree with this assessment?

The other thing is that he rates the technical performance of both D8K and D8K Pro an A which is the same rating he gives the LCD-2 Classic. At this stage, I am not convinced we are listening to the same headphone lol
Just like any other reviews there is bound to be some that you'll disagree with.

In this case, I actually find it a pretty apt description of the D8k pro mids to high transition. I've heard it several times and even came close to purchasing it at one point. But there is quite a noticeable dip around the 3-4k area that just makes it sound thin around the midrange and couple that with a slightly emphasized highs, it makes it a bit too sharp for long listening. I still stand this has one of if not the best bass response I've heard in planar to date.

That's why I recommended watching Videos of headphones you know well, to see if his opinion aligns with your views.

I know that his opinion is absolutely worthless to me, doesn't mean that this holds true for others
I dunno, crinnacle seems prett deaf to me going by all his Meze reviews.

I recommend checking out his reviews of headphones you know well, and then to decide if it matches with your opinion of them
I personally view his opinions the same as every other reviewers on this site or anywhere else, which is with a pinch of salt. You are free to view his opinion worthless but I don't think it's fair to label someone as deaf by virtue of having a different experience from yours.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #2,615 of 4,805
Just like any other reviews there is bound to be some that you'll disagree with.

In this case, I actually find it a pretty apt description of the D8k pro mids to high transition. I've heard it several times and even came close to purchasing it at one point. But there is quite a noticeable dip around the 3-4k area that just makes it sound thin around the midrange and couple that with a slightly emphasized highs, it makes it a bit too sharp for long listening. I still stand this has one of if not the best bass response I've heard in planar to date.

I personally view his opinions the same as every other reviewers on this site or anywhere else, which is with a pinch of salt. You are free to view his opinion worthless but I don't think it's fair to label someone as deaf by virtue of having a different experience from yours.
Synergy is the key that’s the morale of the story. If you can eq or find a device (tube amp) for your headphone(d8000pro) you’ll be able to make any weakness of the headphone more to your liking… there is a lot more to it imo, but that’s your journey(if you treat it like a hobby).

Aug 7, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #2,616 of 4,805
I guess rating tonality is pretty subjective so can't be mad at his opinion as it is just that, an opinion. I just never heard the descibed sibilance. But even odder i find the rating of technicalities. I think D8000 and D8000 Pro have better technicalities than LCD-X or Arya, let alone LCD-2. I cannot take this seriously lol

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #2,617 of 4,805
I cannot take this seriously lol
Part of the enjoyment I get from forums like these is reading the experiences of others but I never took any of them beyond simply opinions and experiences. With the exception of one or two boutique amps where the experiences are all via word of mouth, I never based my purchases solely on reviews to blind buy any items and I'm very fortunate to be in an area where I can do so. Everyone have their own reference for tonality and technicalities and it never align with my own so I'm never bothered with any rating system.

Synergy is the key that’s the morale of the story. If you can eq or find a device (tube amp) for your headphone(d8000pro) you’ll be able to make any weakness of the headphone more to your liking… there is a lot more to it imo, but that’s your journey(if you treat it like a hobby).
I spent quite a bit of time and money on tweaking the original hd800 to match my preference. Over the years I've tampered with physical mods, EQ, amps, tube rolling etc to get it to where I feel comfortable with the sound. In the process I've even blown out a set of drivers and require replacement from Sennheiser so I do have a tiny bit of experience in tweaks and mods. As with most other headphones, the d8k pro does have some dips and unevenness with it's stock tuning and it bother me enough to not try to spend over 4 grand only to attempt to mod such an expensive headphone to turn said weakness more to my liking. Front end source rolling are all experimental and the time and money spent does add up very quickly and quite significantly especially when there are so many variables to consider and each component can play a significant part. Past a certain price point it becomes unrealistic to mod and expensive to find source synergy so it's more important to get something agreeable from the get go. Then again it's all imo and no one have to agree with this approach.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,618 of 4,805
Part of the enjoyment I get from forums like these is reading the experiences of others but I never took any of them beyond simply opinions and experiences. With the exception of one or two boutique amps where the experiences are all via word of mouth, I never based my purchases solely on reviews to blind buy any items and I'm very fortunate to be in an area where I can do so. Everyone have their own reference for tonality and technicalities and it never align with my own so I'm never bothered with any rating system.

I spent quite a bit of time and money on tweaking the original hd800 to match my preference. Over the years I've tampered with physical mods, EQ, amps, tube rolling etc to get it to where I feel comfortable with the sound. In the process I've even blown out a set of drivers and require replacement from Sennheiser so I do have a tiny bit of experience in tweaks and mods. As with most other headphones, the d8k pro does have some dips and unevenness with it's stock tuning and it bother me enough to not try to spend over 4 grand only to attempt to mod such an expensive headphone to turn said weakness more to my liking. Front end source rolling are all experimental and the time and money spent does add up very quickly and quite significantly especially when there are so many variables to consider and each component can play a significant part. Past a certain price point it becomes unrealistic to mod and expensive to find source synergy so it's more important to get something agreeable from the get go. Then again it's all imo and no one have to agree with this approach.
I never mentioned modding the headphone which I dont think you really could with the d8k It would require some outside the box thinking I would assume….

Also this is literally what everyone that is in this hobby for the long run does…(I’m not talking about modding headphones) there is no perfect headphone I believe with the right dac/amp you could turn that weakness into a positive outcome and have a totl headphone or you could just go the route of many headphones for different purposes… I mean it’s all up to the person what they feel is best, I’ve listened to plenty of totl headphones to know all of them have their shortcomings only the susvara might be totl if you don’t like bass to just devour everything around you…. Oh wait there is still the need to drive them to their absolute best and that’s a journey in of itself apparently… I just don’t know where you’re getting at with this ?

I suggested trying to find synergy make a system(source dac amp etc) out of the headphone you believe can be your totl but don’t get sucked in too deep… if the mids are too thin try to add warmth normally tubes help or a SS that leans that way.

I mean are we talking about the d8kpro lacks technicality because If you want to spend 3k-4k on A headphone that covers up the detail and lacks true totl technicality that’s the meze emp/elite imo.

The hd800s to me can’t be fixed I just don’t like it and I think it’s just the physical design of the headphone.

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,619 of 4,805
I just don’t know where you’re getting at with this ?
I mentioned modding only as a means I took to fine tune and tweak a certain headphone to my liking and I agree that there are synergy to be found between different source and driver combination. I responded to @audiocroissant comment on the sibilant and thought I share my experience with this headphone but I never brought up any issue with technicalities on the d8k pro only qualms wth it are strictly the midrange dip and, just on the pro model, sibilant highs

For reference, I did try using several amps including but not limited to the ha300, starlett, studio b, hpa4, cma12,ha6a to a mix of dacs like the bifrost 2, rme, hugo 2, tt2, matrix ess dac and rockna wavedream sig but it still sounds a tad thin and slightly grating in the treble. Most amps are matched specifically to add more bloom to the midrange but it just did not work for me. Again ymmv.

Aug 7, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #2,620 of 4,805
I mentioned modding only as a means I took to fine tune and tweak a certain headphone to my liking and I agree that there are synergy to be found between different source and driver combination. I responded to @audiocroissant comment on the sibilant and thought I share my experience with this headphone but I never brought up any issue with technicalities on the d8k pro only qualms wth it are strictly the midrange dip and, just on the pro model, sibilant highs

For reference, I did try using several amps including but not limited to the ha300, starlett, studio b, hpa4, cma12,ha6a to a mix of dacs like the bifrost 2, rme, hugo 2, tt2, matrix ess dac and rockna wavedream sig but it still sounds a tad thin and slightly grating in the treble. Most amps are matched specifically to add more bloom to the midrange but it just did not work for me. Again ymmv.
I wonder if a r2r dac or yggy could of provided that extra push did you ever try the d8000 ?

Aug 7, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2,621 of 4,805

I no longer own the d8000pro because I needed to go closed back and I actually found… probably my favorite hp of all time the kennerton rognir bass tuned version in doing so lol.

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,622 of 4,805
I wonder if a r2r dac or yggy could of provided that extra push did you ever try the d8000 ?
Rockna and Bifrost 2 are r2r.

I no longer own the d8000pro because I needed to go closed back and I actually found… probably my favorite hp of all time the kennerton rognir bass tuned version in doing so lol.
We all get things that best suit our needs and use cases. I ended up getting the Verite a couple of years back after weeks of back and forth with the d8k pro. I did went back after a few years to try various sources but unfortunately it just did not click. It's a shame as the the things that the d8k pro does well, there's nothing better in my ears. The bass is superb and if you can ignore the splashy highs, it is very well extended packing plenty of air and details. The Verite is no poster child for an even freq response but as an overall package it simply works better for me.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #2,623 of 4,805
can't be mad at his opinion as it is just that, an opinion.

Exactly. It's yet another data point one can either see as useful or not, which is all good either way. The more opinions about a product we have, the better :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 8, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #2,624 of 4,805
One thing i noticed when judging headphones, reviews, members and friends opinions.....the most important question is the playlist of music. What type of music do you listen to? What does the reviewers listen to? This is the most important part of reading reviews.

A listener that listens to classical only or opera may have the hd800/hd800s as endgame, while an EDM only listener will loathe them. Theres no way around that. A versatile headphone like the utopia, verite closed, atrium will never do classical as good as hd800s, and never do metal as good as ABYSS 1266 or fostex th900s etc. Its all about musical preference and what do you look for in your playlist.
There will be never be 1 headphone that is the best at everything and every genre.....Even the mighty he1 will never do metal better than TCs, Susvara have no slam for some genres etc. IMHO

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,625 of 4,805
So, someone - "hifiDJ" on the headphones.com forum made me consider the Finals. I started reading this thread from the beginning, got more curious, reached out to "betula" who was really active in here as long as he owned the D8k and finally after "Nostoi" put his 8K pro on offer I couldn't resist and bought it...
It was this: like new HP, serious reduction, friendly, patient, quick to answer and no pressure typ of interaction... thanks again Dylan!

Kinda risky because I haven't even heard any planar before!

I listen through a Melco streamer - X26 pro - Ferrum stack and to mainly electronic music.

The best HP I can compare it to are my Clears.
In short: more detail, deeper, wider, reveals unknown subbass, smoother/more refined and just as or almost as punchy as the Focals…
Also prettier, more beautiful, really moves me on these emotional tracks...

Now I am pretty sure it’s one of the 3 best choices I could make right now (the Finals, 1266s and the ones I haven’t come across yet…)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back