Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,786 of 4,714
Have you been using EQ with your D8k Pro? If so, what values have you been using? I've been both Resolve's and Auto EQ's. I have a slight preference for the AutoEQ ones as the Resolve's EQ is too intense on the lower frequencies for my taste. No EQ is actually pretty good too. Just wondering about other people's perspectives here.
I've been using this.

The mid bass reduction brings more clarity elsewhere without taking anything from the fantastic bass. The 3.5k adjustment is quite consistent when comparing with other totl HPs.

The rest is subjective I guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-161359_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-161359_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,787 of 4,714
Gosh I don't use any eq...with all the variance in our recorded music one eq would not be good for differing recordings...with these headphones I can tell easily the differences in the source material.

So for me eq would only make this hobby more complex than it all ready is for us.

Possibly a analog LOKIOUS from Schiit would serve this better with the ability to tweak bands on the "fly"..

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,788 of 4,714
I've been using this.

The mid bass reduction brings more clarity elsewhere without taking anything from the fantastic bass. The 3.5k adjustment is quite consistent when comparing with other totl HPs.

The rest is subjective I guess.
Thanks for sharing! I'll give it a try.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,789 of 4,714
Gosh I don't use any eq...with all the variance in our recorded music one eq would not be good for differing recordings...with these headphones I can tell easily the differences in the source material.

So for me eq would only make this hobby more complex than it all ready is for us.

Possibly a analog LOKIOUS from Schiit would serve this better with the ability to tweak bands on the "fly"..
Yeah, I'm generally not into EQ either but I thought the D8k Pro would be a good excuse to play a bit with it.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,790 of 4,714
Yeah, I'm generally not into EQ either but I thought the D8k Pro would be a good excuse to play a bit with it.

Big fan of EQ here. I EQ almost all my iems and HPs except the ThieAudio Monarch, because it's already perfect hehehe.

In my experience the D8k benefits a lot from that little mid bass reduction and I think the 3.5k helps too. Would love to hear your opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,791 of 4,714

I have a Lokius in my chain when I use the GS-X MK2 with my Dave. It's simple, effective and transparent. I love this little device. I actually EQ all of my headphones and the Lokius lets me do it with ease. Being an analog device makes it even better.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #1,793 of 4,714
If I were to use eq I would definitely go the Schiit Lokius route..
I am not a big EQ fan myself, but I can see sometimes some small EQ can be useful.
I prefer analogue EQ too and Lokius is much better than the Loki, but I would mention the ADI-2 DAC as a better alternative.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,794 of 4,714
So after selling a bunch of headphones I am now contemplating buying some new stuff...you cant take it with you!!

With the resolution of the headphones with the iFI Pro DSD dac I am hearing stuff that for sure is in the weeds....but good weeds! lol

So I am thinking of trying out a Soekris 2541 or a Holo Spring type of dac....
I also am looking at possibly another set of headphones that are less costly the ADX 5000's...yes less bass for sure but still interesting to me...

Then I am thinking if you have such a great setup why waste the time and money??

Thoughts?

Alex

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,795 of 4,714
So after selling a bunch of headphones I am now contemplating buying some new stuff...you cant take it with you!!

With the resolution of the headphones with the iFI Pro DSD dac I am hearing stuff that for sure is in the weeds....but good weeds! lol

So I am thinking of trying out a Soekris 2541 or a Holo Spring type of dac....
I also am looking at possibly another set of headphones that are less costly the ADX 5000's...yes less bass for sure but still interesting to me...

Then I am thinking if you have such a great setup why waste the time and money??

Thoughts?

Alex
Buying, selling, trying new stuff is part of the fun, isn't it?

I personally can't see why you find the ADX 5000 appealing after the recent journey you had, but we are all different.
Your DAC propositions are more interesting. If you have some spare money, go for it. I would like to try both the 2541 and some Holo Spring if my budget was not so strained.

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,797 of 4,714
I still find the Empyrean a pleasing headphone. I still enjoy them more than the Arya or LCD-X.

The D8000 however conveys more information, it is more accurate. I wish the Final had a bit more space in the upper frequencies, otherwise it is pretty much perfect for me especially for second-hand price.

IMO these Final headphones are overlooked by the community. They are much better than their current position on the market.

Philosophies aside, these are great headphones. If you like your bass and you are not scared of $2000+ prices, these are pretty much your best bet in 2021.

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,799 of 4,714
I still find the Empyrean a pleasing headphone. I still enjoy them more than the Arya or LCD-X.

The D8000 however conveys more information, it is more accurate. I wish the Final had a bit more space in the upper frequencies, otherwise it is pretty much perfect for me especially for second-hand price.

IMO these Final headphones are overlooked by the community. They are much better than their current position on the market.

Philosophies aside, these are great headphones. If you like your bass and you are not scared of $2000+ prices, these are pretty much your best bet in 2021.
Completely agree with you about these being overlooked by the community, but I'm okay with that :). The space you're looking for in the upper frequencies is there in the D8000 Pro's. I think this is why some of us prefer the pro's over the standard version of the D8000's. It's that extra bit of clarity that makes the Pro's such a nice listen.

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,800 of 4,714
Completely agree with you about these being overlooked by the community, but I'm okay with that :). The space you're looking for in the upper frequencies is there in the D8000 Pro's. I think this is why some of us prefer the pro's over the standard version of the D8000's. It's that extra bit of clarity that makes the Pro's such a nice listen.
$1000 price difference is hard to ignore though. At this point I am not sure if I could justify the 25% price difference and auditioning is pretty much impossible in my area..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back