Final at the Munich HIGH END exhibition.
Jun 20, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #31 of 95

These are the type of headphones that tend to be bought by those crazy enough (read: me!) to actually buy the aforementioned headphones too, or by those who already own them. I really hope there isn't someone out there who is going to save up and spend all the money they have just to get these. I have found that ultra-high-end headphones really are about getting a certain sound -- one that many people may not even prefer over affordable headphones.

Well I have spent $1500 twice and a grand a few times over the years and with all of those purchases I have cringed and at times even lost sleep but I do enjoy them all in the end and have sold none of them. I can't imagine spending over $2000. in any event although for a dac i have and would consider it again eventually because it boost the performance of all the headphones and my mid-fi speaker system. I understand the costs and R&D but I am not in the position to even think about either one I'm afraid.

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #32 of 95
  Well I have spent $1500 twice and a grand a few times over the years and with all of those purchases I have cringed and at times even lost sleep but I do enjoy them all in the end and have sold none of them. I can't imagine spending over $2000. in any event although for a dac i have and would consider it again eventually because it boost the performance of all the headphones and my mid-fi speaker system. I understand the costs and R&D but I am not in the position to even think about either one I'm afraid.

Personally, I couldn't care less what a headphone costs as long as it gives me the sound I want. Of course, if it costs more, it'll take longer to get my hands on it. Like I said, these headphones only make sense for those who can easily afford them. But even for those people (myself included, if I stop being so lazy), the cost may not be justified on a personal level, depending on sound preference. If they really do deliver "a clarity and vividness" and "sense of realism [...] that hasn’t been experienced in headphones until now" as claimed, the asking price seems reasonable enough to me. No guarantees on that, though.

...On that note, I just realized that probably none of us have any idea when these will be released. XD

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #33 of 95

Personally, I couldn't care less what a headphone costs as long as it gives me the sound I want. Of course, if it costs more, it'll take longer to get my hands on it. Like I said, these headphones only may ke sense for those who can easily afford them.

Problem for me has been that it moves me from an eight or nine hour work day to 12 hour workdays plus Saturday and then i am exhausted and have no time to listen to them. .

That's what happens when you pull the trigger on Hugos and shiny iem's.
redface.gif
  As for these, i'd need a clone I'm afraid.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #34 of 95
Problem for me has been that it moves me from an eight or nine hour work day to 12 hour workdays plus Saturday and then i am exhausted and have no time to listen to them. .  
That's what happens when you pull the trigger on Hugos and shiny iem's.
redface.gif
  As for these, i'd need a clone I'm afraid.

Perhaps I should have said "These headphones are not for the working class." ...which is the most elitist catch phrase I have ever seen. lol! I'm actually broke at the moment, but my situation is kinda weird. I used to make good money, and now, I barely do any work; just enough to cover my expenses for awhile and buy some audio gear, then goof off the rest of the time.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #35 of 95
I hope that the Sonorous VIII and X sound better than the they look. Can't wait to try them. Don't get me wrong, I love the overall design of the Sonorous headphones. I just don't like the gold and chrome finish.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #36 of 95
Here is the thing... Like mentioned before the price warrants a different design. I once emailed Final audio to complain about the headphones comfort and ask if there were any prospective designs for deeper pads to keep the ears from touching the drivers. Thier response was that -people say they are comfortable but that they would have new pads. Those new pads were from the lower tier IV which some say sound worse. Obviously they didnt read the head-fi thread. Imagine putting some cheapy shure 1540 pads on a 5000 product. Thier stubborness will not reward thier buyers. Also imagine placing rubber bands on the sliders because they dont hold. Even if they sound amazing, the design, while stunning in appearance, looks like it falls very short. I did think the VI sounded great even for its price so I was hoping a new model would be under 1500. That makes a lot more sense. Maybe impressions of them at Munich will make thier price seem more worth it. If I had it, I would pay 5000 for a hp that did everything I wanted but I doubt it would have that design.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #38 of 95
Here is the thing... Like mentioned before the price warrants a different design. I once emailed Final audio to complain about the headphones comfort and ask if there were any prospective designs for deeper pads to keep the ears from touching the drivers. Thier response was that -people say they are comfortable but that they would have new pads. Those new pads were from the lower tier IV which some say sound worse. Obviously they didnt read the head-fi thread. Imagine putting some cheapy shure 1540 pads on a 5000 product. Thier stubborness will not reward thier buyers. Also imagine placing rubber bands on the sliders because they dont hold. Even if they sound amazing, the design, while stunning in appearance, looks like it falls very short. I did think the VI sounded great even for its price so I was hoping a new model would be under 1500. That makes a lot more sense. Maybe impressions of them at Munich will make thier price seem more worth it. If I had it, I would pay 5000 for a hp that did everything I wanted but I doubt it would have that design.

At first, I thought you were talking about the vertical adjustment problem, because that would be the main issue for me. But if the pads are shallow on headphones as costly as these, that would be awful.

By the way, in case you didn't see from any of my posts, I figured out the issue we discussed about the MT220 lacking mids: all I had to do was move my ears to the front of the pads, which made the mids much more upfront. Stuffing gauze under the pads also helped separate my ears from the drivers, further enhancing the sound. I wonder if something like that would work for Final headphones.

Would you rather? 

These vs. Orpheus... 

Orpheus, mainly because it's so rare, but also due to its stellar reputation. But I'd like to get them both someday...

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #40 of 95
  I searched and it translated to 5135.3127 US Dollar for the X and 3097.5554 US Dollar for the VIII

ALO already has both of these listed on their site as "coming soon".  I wouldn't assume a price just yet...

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #42 of 95
The prices sound a about right :)

They should be released early July from what I have seen..

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #45 of 95
  Wow, 3,000- 5,000, and you still get the same poorly designed solid band with no click stops to hold the ear cups in place, and keep them from creeping down while they're being worn. That was the most aggravating thing when I had the Pandora Hope VI. You'd get it set where sizing was just right, then it would keep loosening up as the ear cups slid down those bands. 

Aggravating is right. They slide all over the place. Don't manufacturers/designers notice these things? Or do they nail the sound and just throw it out into the market?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back