FiiO's Crown Jewel of Portable Music Player M11 Plus LTD Is Officially Released!
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #181 of 211
Updated this week to the new Firmware 1.0.6

The OTA, that popped up, did not work (Error Message: Firmware does not match device). Then I downloaded above firmware and everything went fine :gs1000smile:
Dear friend,

Thanks for the feedback. We will also report to the engineer about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 8, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #182 of 211
Hey just a quick “maybe this is worth testing...” to those out there feeding their M11+ onto other kit (using the M11+ as a transport);

Having recently found a necessary cable/adaptor (or three) that allows using the COAX input on my DAC (fed from the M11+)- the improvement in SQ was phenominal.

Whilst many might think I am nuts for stating (/for imagining) the improvements that going to expensive USB cable and adding inline filter etc might bring, I found those steps necessary in order to make a USB cable sound anything as nice as a budget COAX cable.

Whilst I’d state ‘my order of “value for money“ regarding ables goes as such: COAX>TOSLINK>USB.
Caveat being: USB cable is also the only cable in a hifi rig that has requirements to be built ‘way better’ than the market minimum quality given/ ie ‘mission critical choke point in most setups where $20-$50 could net massive SQ improvements simply due to nature of the USB cable is the easiest cable to build wrong, from an audio requirement standpoint. (Lets not go down the rabbit hole of USB being digital and not mattering, when it is passed along the cable as a wavelength (analogue), and due to the super high res nature that Asynchronous USB forces, is generally overburdened vs what the accurate capable bandwidth of any given cable can honestly give.. (most are made for ‘printers’ that will reask for the data when a bad packet passes/has no ‘realtime’ requirement..); most USB winds up as highly ‘guessed at’ signal with a transmission that ultimately becomes an ‘interpretation’ of what is given...

Anyhow inserting the worlds worst COAX cable setup, I found that the improvement into an iFi Diablo was akin to a jump in tier of kit.
When I compared the M11+ DAP to my older unit, the M11+ wasn’t as good a transport as my older Questyle QP1R.
At the time I was using USB from the M11+ and toslink from the QP1R.
The M11+ was definately a tier (or more) below the output quality of the other unit.

Now I have a belief it was perhaps the better clock (/‘or NON USB’ cable?) in the QP1R but it was a better transport, overtly so, when passing digital to the DAC. The Diablo isn’t shabby, and the M11+ passes USB ‘well’. But the QP1R had a very big advantage.
Until last week when I started playing with COAX options from the M11+.
Instantly it was a jump up in sound qual to whatever grandiose height that the Questyle DAP was giving. Maybe better. (haven’t A/B switched yet, honestly too busy enjoying Apple Music (of all things)).

This does confirm a belief I had that AsyncUSB might be disadvantageous to DACs that the M11+ is feeding unless they are VERY EXPENSIVE (better clocks).
For any DAC south of $2k I’d encourage trying the COAX output (over the USB output) from the M11+.

As a source this puts the M11+ in a position to deliver even more greatness. (IT GETS SO MUCH RIGHT!)

It really is a case of ’your mileage may vary’ (YMMV) as some DAC designs do favour some inputs for better SQ.
I like that the FiiO DAP uses COAX as I have several times found the ratio around $50 COAX cable = $150 TOSLINK cable > $400 USB cable....
My present COAX feed is made up of two adaptors (one looking ‘fairly budget’), and a cable that was $5 at a second hand goods store.

PS if you are using USB cables for audio, and you have the option of rotating a few in place at $0 cost (eg a few lying around in drawers or rotatable with the printer etc), I suggest trying them out.. It is most likely one will sound leagues better than the rest.. The build quality on USB cables keeps going down, whilst the internal wires get rated for faster speeds, and could be built at many /varied pricepoints; as for which one passes the least mucked up audio, there isn’t any external physical property that indicates whether one is better.
I use ‘nice ones’ with a couple of adapters..
Using a nice cable with a cheap adapter still seems to work better than a mega budget cable with the right terminations. Food for thunk.
(hate speech about the math/science of digital perfection and the voodoo analogue nonsense of which I speak can be left at the intersection of realworld road and profitable engineering street.)

TL:DR if you use the M11+ as a transport (highly recommended) the COAX option is likely to be the better option for some digital playback systems (DACs) and source files.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #183 of 211
Hey just a quick “maybe this is worth testing...” to those out there feeding their M11+ onto other kit (using the M11+ as a transport);

Having recently found a necessary cable/adaptor (or three) that allows using the COAX input on my DAC (fed from the M11+)- the improvement in SQ was phenominal.

Whilst many might think I am nuts for stating (/for imagining) the improvements that going to expensive USB cable and adding inline filter etc might bring, I found those steps necessary in order to make a USB cable sound anything as nice as a budget COAX cable.

Whilst I’d state ‘my order of “value for money“ regarding ables goes as such: COAX>TOSLINK>USB.
Caveat being: USB cable is also the only cable in a hifi rig that has requirements to be built ‘way better’ than the market minimum quality given/ ie ‘mission critical choke point in most setups where $20-$50 could net massive SQ improvements simply due to nature of the USB cable is the easiest cable to build wrong, from an audio requirement standpoint. (Lets not go down the rabbit hole of USB being digital and not mattering, when it is passed along the cable as a wavelength (analogue), and due to the super high res nature that Asynchronous USB forces, is generally overburdened vs what the accurate capable bandwidth of any given cable can honestly give.. (most are made for ‘printers’ that will reask for the data when a bad packet passes/has no ‘realtime’ requirement..); most USB winds up as highly ‘guessed at’ signal with a transmission that ultimately becomes an ‘interpretation’ of what is given...

Anyhow inserting the worlds worst COAX cable setup, I found that the improvement into an iFi Diablo was akin to a jump in tier of kit.
When I compared the M11+ DAP to my older unit, the M11+ wasn’t as good a transport as my older Questyle QP1R.
At the time I was using USB from the M11+ and toslink from the QP1R.
The M11+ was definately a tier (or more) below the output quality of the other unit.

Now I have a belief it was perhaps the better clock (/‘or NON USB’ cable?) in the QP1R but it was a better transport, overtly so, when passing digital to the DAC. The Diablo isn’t shabby, and the M11+ passes USB ‘well’. But the QP1R had a very big advantage.
Until last week when I started playing with COAX options from the M11+.
Instantly it was a jump up in sound qual to whatever grandiose height that the Questyle DAP was giving. Maybe better. (haven’t A/B switched yet, honestly too busy enjoying Apple Music (of all things)).

This does confirm a belief I had that AsyncUSB might be disadvantageous to DACs that the M11+ is feeding unless they are VERY EXPENSIVE (better clocks).
For any DAC south of $2k I’d encourage trying the COAX output (over the USB output) from the M11+.

As a source this puts the M11+ in a position to deliver even more greatness. (IT GETS SO MUCH RIGHT!)

It really is a case of ’your mileage may vary’ (YMMV) as some DAC designs do favour some inputs for better SQ.
I like that the FiiO DAP uses COAX as I have several times found the ratio around $50 COAX cable = $150 TOSLINK cable > $400 USB cable....
My present COAX feed is made up of two adaptors (one looking ‘fairly budget’), and a cable that was $5 at a second hand goods store.

PS if you are using USB cables for audio, and you have the option of rotating a few in place at $0 cost (eg a few lying around in drawers or rotatable with the printer etc), I suggest trying them out.. It is most likely one will sound leagues better than the rest.. The build quality on USB cables keeps going down, whilst the internal wires get rated for faster speeds, and could be built at many /varied pricepoints; as for which one passes the least mucked up audio, there isn’t any external physical property that indicates whether one is better.
I use ‘nice ones’ with a couple of adapters..
Using a nice cable with a cheap adapter still seems to work better than a mega budget cable with the right terminations. Food for thunk.
(hate speech about the math/science of digital perfection and the voodoo analogue nonsense of which I speak can be left at the intersection of realworld road and profitable engineering street.)

TL:DR if you use the M11+ as a transport (highly recommended) the COAX option is likely to be the better option for some digital playback systems (DACs) and source files.
What about the usb cables feeding signal to the m11+ when you use it as a dac? Did that change wih cables?

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #184 of 211
Yes
What about the usb cables feeding signal to the m11+ when you use it as a dac? Did that change wih cables?
Yes.

When feeding digital audio into the M11+ via a USB cable, cable quality could affect sound.
Not really discernable, easily, with the M11+ alone, but when outputting the DAC using the 4.4mm ‘line level’ analogues, output can be inspected via high quality amplification (I used a Burson Conductor V2+).

to qualify this/‘some perspective’: Turning 20-30 sensors and ’options’ off in the phone was required to get the phone to perform even slightly decently as a ‘high end’ audio transport.
As was installing specific software and using developer mode features.
My ears are trained to discern nuances that ARE NOT STANDARD (this has been my hobby, and sometimes profession, for many decades), and ‘too many to count‘ hours of test tones on top tier kit has trained me to hear all sorts of ‘extinction points’ and ‘things completely not relevant to the process of enjoying music’ (but rather the worshiping of the playback chain audio equipment). Once all the electrical noise in the phone was sorted and all the sensors quelled and the phone could do ONE TASK AND ONE TASK WELL (phone had never been given a SIM and was stripped).
With the phone sorted, trying a few cables became ‘worth a grain of salt’.
The huge improvement in sound quality for inserting a 1meter long ‘blue’ cable, that is different to every other blue/black or red cable I have, was so obvious/overt that I tried to get access to a better USB cable straight away! (-how deep does the rabbit hole go?)
The 1metre blue cable also had to deal with a stupid little adaptor PLUG END that wasnt made out of unobtainium and infused with the remnants of fairy wings found on some arcane table deep underground... but it sounded phenominal none-the-less.
Crazily the adaptor I was using on the other end, could be swapped to an active part that also filtered/aided the USB signal timing.
This was an improvement of equal magnitude over stock ‘unloved‘ USB cables, and my only reason for considering the project of ‘some benchmarking’ to begin with..

When a person has a setup that works (and sounds great), taking anything away from it so that it is ‘less’, makes said system often without attraction or desire from the owner.
It is easy to know when we are hearing something ‘better’, and thus, when we step back, we have a point of reference to recall- that we remember nuances previously missed.
In future listening, it should be easy to imagine those bits we ‘once heard’ that we love/desire, but if we could recapture that magic with just a cable rotation then we obviously would.

That was my problem for the last couple of months as I didn’t want to keep moving my USB cable (and heavy adaptors etc) and so often found myself without it.
Any time I put it in place MUSICALITY was instantly observable. I don’t want to create arguments, so I will just suggest I had trained myself to like the feeling of that 1metre blue cable beside me more than any other. (True)

When I used small/short ‘joiner’ cables with the M11+; they had little life but were not abhorrent or ‘ghastly’.
Running from a phone, using a $400 price point USB cable, including a couple of adaptors to make it all fit; I could get the sort of sound that putting a half decent (albeit budget) cable between top end kit will do. (you wont notice as much as you get with the sound when you put the cable ‘in place’, but when you remove it (ideally after weeks/months/years etc) you will notice how flat and ‘tinny‘ or thin the sound becomes afterwards. Room size will be instantly diminished.

To improve above ‘basic’ isn’t hard with USB.. -it wouldn’t have to be expensive to gain much improvement over ‘junk built for printer’. (early printers had excellent cables, but probably better for UAC1 mode (/not ‘asynchronous’ which forces ‘hi speed’)).
The real gain is getting anything better than mass market crap.
In a typical house with eight USB cables lying around dating back to the nineties, three of them are likely to be pretty good with audio. The big problem is that looking at them isn’t going to be the ultimate judge.

Modern money would buy a person better than what I have for ‘a lot less’. (I buy my cables mostly second hand when they are in the ‘ridiculous’ price point per performance metric).

Where I do not think anyone should put money into cables until their whole setup is complete (and they have lots of media!), I do make exception for budget USB cable being of a requisite minimum quality.

I find that the price to reward ratio with digital transport cables is totally in COAXs favour, and wish more manufacturers used the method.
Using a very budget/basic COAX cable setup right now I am getting an incredible performance, it is such a jump/improvement in sound quality over the USB output that I attribute the benefits to the clock chip change.

It would be like jumping up to a ‘Nice’ Nordost cable on some $4k+ cans’, from some steel wool that had been used to wash dishes for ten days...
(its that good)
I honestly feel that it CANNOT BE THE SAME DAC.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #185 of 211
Yes

Yes.

When feeding digital audio into the M11+ via a USB cable, cable quality could affect sound.
Not really discernable, easily, with the M11+ alone, but when outputting the DAC using the 4.4mm ‘line level’ analogues, output can be inspected via high quality amplification (I used a Burson Conductor V2+).

to qualify this/‘some perspective’: Turning 20-30 sensors and ’options’ off in the phone was required to get the phone to perform even slightly decently as a ‘high end’ audio transport.
As was installing specific software and using developer mode features.
My ears are trained to discern nuances that ARE NOT STANDARD (this has been my hobby, and sometimes profession, for many decades), and ‘too many to count‘ hours of test tones on top tier kit has trained me to hear all sorts of ‘extinction points’ and ‘things completely not relevant to the process of enjoying music’ (but rather the worshiping of the playback chain audio equipment). Once all the electrical noise in the phone was sorted and all the sensors quelled and the phone could do ONE TASK AND ONE TASK WELL (phone had never been given a SIM and was stripped).
With the phone sorted, trying a few cables became ‘worth a grain of salt’.
The huge improvement in sound quality for inserting a 1meter long ‘blue’ cable, that is different to every other blue/black or red cable I have, was so obvious/overt that I tried to get access to a better USB cable straight away! (-how deep does the rabbit hole go?)
The 1metre blue cable also had to deal with a stupid little adaptor PLUG END that wasnt made out of unobtainium and infused with the remnants of fairy wings found on some arcane table deep underground... but it sounded phenominal none-the-less.
Crazily the adaptor I was using on the other end, could be swapped to an active part that also filtered/aided the USB signal timing.
This was an improvement of equal magnitude over stock ‘unloved‘ USB cables, and my only reason for considering the project of ‘some benchmarking’ to begin with..

When a person has a setup that works (and sounds great), taking anything away from it so that it is ‘less’, makes said system often without attraction or desire from the owner.
It is easy to know when we are hearing something ‘better’, and thus, when we step back, we have a point of reference to recall- that we remember nuances previously missed.
In future listening, it should be easy to imagine those bits we ‘once heard’ that we love/desire, but if we could recapture that magic with just a cable rotation then we obviously would.

That was my problem for the last couple of months as I didn’t want to keep moving my USB cable (and heavy adaptors etc) and so often found myself without it.
Any time I put it in place MUSICALITY was instantly observable. I don’t want to create arguments, so I will just suggest I had trained myself to like the feeling of that 1metre blue cable beside me more than any other. (True)

When I used small/short ‘joiner’ cables with the M11+; they had little life but were not abhorrent or ‘ghastly’.
Running from a phone, using a $400 price point USB cable, including a couple of adaptors to make it all fit; I could get the sort of sound that putting a half decent (albeit budget) cable between top end kit will do. (you wont notice as much as you get with the sound when you put the cable ‘in place’, but when you remove it (ideally after weeks/months/years etc) you will notice how flat and ‘tinny‘ or thin the sound becomes afterwards. Room size will be instantly diminished.

To improve above ‘basic’ isn’t hard with USB.. -it wouldn’t have to be expensive to gain much improvement over ‘junk built for printer’. (early printers had excellent cables, but probably better for UAC1 mode (/not ‘asynchronous’ which forces ‘hi speed’)).
The real gain is getting anything better than mass market crap.
In a typical house with eight USB cables lying around dating back to the nineties, three of them are likely to be pretty good with audio. The big problem is that looking at them isn’t going to be the ultimate judge.

Modern money would buy a person better than what I have for ‘a lot less’. (I buy my cables mostly second hand when they are in the ‘ridiculous’ price point per performance metric).

Where I do not think anyone should put money into cables until their whole setup is complete (and they have lots of media!), I do make exception for budget USB cable being of a requisite minimum quality.

I find that the price to reward ratio with digital transport cables is totally in COAXs favour, and wish more manufacturers used the method.
Using a very budget/basic COAX cable setup right now I am getting an incredible performance, it is such a jump/improvement in sound quality over the USB output that I attribute the benefits to the clock chip change.

It would be like jumping up to a ‘Nice’ Nordost cable on some $4k+ cans’, from some steel wool that had been used to wash dishes for ten days...
(its that good)
I honestly feel that it CANNOT BE THE SAME DAC.
Wait so do you prefer syncronous or asyncronous?

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #186 of 211
I find that most of my DACs/DACs I have ever used do better with COAX and TOSLINK. (some DACs USB input is the only input worth using, I understand!!)

I prefer UAC1 mode DACs (compatibility with the consoles primarily)
Asychronous mode moves the timing control (clock) to being purely inside the DAC if I understand correctly.
This could prove beneficial to devices with cheap sources/front ends... (lesser clocks)

My comment above regarding USB cables lying around the house, is that some of those older cables might be exceptional at passing data accurately on the first pass (good for audio), but may not have the faster rated cable structure capability; ie ASYNC mode, which engages at the highest speed and allocates ‘bits of the bandwidth’ to whatever frequency the user is actually pushing, will keep a cable running at MAX SPEED/‘flat out’.
For Asychronous mode USB transporting the requirements of a USB cable, regarding BASIC build quality (to meet the spec/beat the spec), would be considerably increased. (I do not feel many pundits understand that USB cables have an analogue wavelength sent down them and have a timing function that allows precise alignment of the packets ‘as eyelets’ to be interpreted as ‘peaks‘ and ‘troughs’; it is super easy for these to become missaligned, with a resultant misread that might make a transient last too long or a bass note to become compromised etc.
In Asynchronous mode, the cable will run flat out ‘fast’ even if we are only transmitting 44khz 16bit audio. I would advocate a few setups, focusing on REDBOOK AUDIO and using ‘budget/older USB cables’ to avoid ASYNC, especially if the clock chip in their transport is ‘anything to write home about’ (/or that the DACs clock isn’t ‘anything to write home about’).
Improving a cable WILL lead to noticable improvments in soundfield setup(due to sharing more accurately the data that the source actually contains), that on some setups, due to considerable investment cost in associated equipment; the idea of a $2 cable holding it all back is ‘a bit of a joke’ (that I wish wasn’t true).

Not saying ‘thousands NEED be spend on EVERYONES’ USB cable’ (actually my point is the opposite; try another digital transport ‘method’ (such as COAX)), rather than: a ‘base grade’ of USB cable will do the job very well, but that ‘baseline’ quality might be higher than ‘any random USB cable’. (educate the consumer)

Not selling anything- just encouraging pundits to spend some time checking some basic system setup principles that might be worth revisiting.
(my recent experience advocating that the change up, whether it be cable or clock, the changeup was ‘worth it’/‘worth further investigation’...)

A decision whether to use Async mode or not might not be in everyones camp who uses USB DACs; and if using a USB bus noisy environment, effort and/or testing is often needed to circumvent crazy USB ‘noise’ issues.
I have had motherboards that pass out COAX and then still used an expensive soundcard to simply output via toslink... even though I would typically prefer the use of COAX cables for digital audio (cheaper cable costs and two less stages (one on each cable end) to get in the way of accurate data transport that fibre optic brings to the table), in a PC environment getting away from that system electrical noise is an effort (and a half).

I think an iFi USB purifier comes with a couple of adaptors (iPurifier3 has two variants, one WITH and one WITHOUT the adaptors), that would allow feeding straight into the FiiO M11+ using an array of generic printer cables.. -with the filter being an optional add on, but highly recommended as in my tests using the same part on a PS5; the transient control improvement was too demonstratable that the thought of using one of these on a USB cable BY DEFAULT (out of testing laziness probably), is well warranted.

I actually bought an iPurifier3 (with the phone etc adaptors included) on my birthday a couple of years back as a gift to myself; knowing that I would always find use for it.
With the M11+ I find it removes a ‘grain’ or ‘digital veil’ from the front end, and returns a sharpness/clarity or ‘wetness’ to the music that has one ‘toe tapping‘ quickly...

I would certainly want something between my PC and my M11+, but in terms of feeding digital OUT of the M11+, I think the improvement of using COAX, which will make the downstream DAC use the superb clock aspect that the FiiO provides, is the better option. (the iFi Diablo that I have the M11+ frequently pass digital into, has a modern processor (xmos208?)) and a ’good clock’ (femtosecond) which is fast enough to do ‘all frequencies’ on one clock chip. I bought the FiiO for its’ dedicated 44khz (and multiples) and 48khz (and multiples) clockchips, BOTH being of a super precise nature. (and benefitting from FiiOs excellent PCB board evolution and power supply delivery), I find the Diablo when having access to the M11+ clock, is a much better sounding DAC for my redbook audio files.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #187 of 211
I find that most of my DACs/DACs I have ever used do better with COAX and TOSLINK. (some DACs USB input is the only input worth using, I understand!!)

I prefer UAC1 mode DACs (compatibility with the consoles primarily)
Asychronous mode moves the timing control (clock) to being purely inside the DAC if I understand correctly.
This could prove beneficial to devices with cheap sources/front ends... (lesser clocks)

My comment above regarding USB cables lying around the house, is that some of those older cables might be exceptional at passing data accurately on the first pass (good for audio), but may not have the faster rated cable structure capability; ie ASYNC mode, which engages at the highest speed and allocates ‘bits of the bandwidth’ to whatever frequency the user is actually pushing, will keep a cable running at MAX SPEED/‘flat out’.
For Asychronous mode USB transporting the requirements of a USB cable, regarding BASIC build quality (to meet the spec/beat the spec), would be considerably increased. (I do not feel many pundits understand that USB cables have an analogue wavelength sent down them and have a timing function that allows precise alignment of the packets ‘as eyelets’ to be interpreted as ‘peaks‘ and ‘troughs’; it is super easy for these to become missaligned, with a resultant misread that might make a transient last too long or a bass note end too early etc.
In Asynchronous mode, the cable will run flat out ‘fast’ even if we are only transmitting 44khz 16bit audio. I would advocate a few setups, focusing on REDBOOK AUDIO and using ‘budget/older USB cables’ to avoid ASYNC, especially if the clock chip in their transport is ‘anything to write home about’ (/or that the DACs clock isn’t ‘anything to write home about’).
Improving a cable WILL lead to noticable improvments in soundfield setup(due to sharing more accurately the data that the source actually contains), that on some setups, due to considerable investment cost in associated equipment; the idea of a $2 cable holding it all back is ‘a bit of a joke’ (that I wish wasn’t true).

Not saying ‘thousands NEED be spend on EVERYONES’ USB cable’ (actually my point is the opposite; try another digital transport ‘method’ (such as COAX)), rather than: a ‘base grade’ of USB cable will do the job very well, but that ‘baseline’ quality might be higher than ‘any random USB cable’. (educate the consumer)

Not selling anything- just encouraging pundits to spend some time checking some basic system setup principles that might be worth revisiting.
(my recent experience advocating that the change up, whether it be cable or clock, the changeup was ‘worth it’/‘worth further investigation’...)
Those were my thoughts as well as to how digital audio can be affected when the data is transferred 100% to the dac, timing. Since sound is fundamentally tied to time (Hz), a cable that causes the data to need to be re-sent, even if it takes a milisecond can cause minor noticeable changes in the sound

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #188 of 211
Those were my thoughts as well as to how digital audio can be affected when the data is transferred 100% to the dac, timing. Since sound is fundamentally tied to time (Hz), a cable that causes the data to need to be re-sent, even if it takes a milisecond can cause minor noticeable changes in the sound
yes;

except timing enforces the data, which IS NOT resent (in the case of AUDIO); error correction handles the process, and ultimately estimations take over.
The less ‘estimations’, the more ‘honest’ a system can be to the source material..
The most obvious improvements can be noted across a range of genres, whether a user is looking for ‘placement of instruments’, or maybe ‘transients’(power/speed), to ‘bass note quality/texture’ etc..
I do not have the ears (training) to consciously spot ‘the attack on the violin’ changes, the way a conductor-who has ear training of the highest calibre, will easily ‘see’.
The changes are there, and speed is 100% felt in the recording, when the transients are in the right places. This is why a better cable can translate to better musical playback in our systems; as the more accurate passing of zeros and ones (as an analogue wavelength that USB cables utilise), the interpretation of the peaks and troughs (zeros and ones), by TIMING, is crucial to digital data coming out ‘as close to perfect‘ as possible.
Close to perfect?
Thats right; I do not know of, and certainly have never seen a setup that has 1:1 in this regard. Error correction and ‘guestimation’ is the rule of the day... (good enough for our ears, certainly)..
Getting as ‘close to 1:1’ as possible is aided by a cable that passed data ‘wave’ in perfect time alignment,- as otherwise it is standard for the wavelength to wind up with mismatched eyelet reads, where zeros BECOME ones and VICE VERSA....

So the cable itself, by timing errors in the receiving circuitry, will ’create’ errors, and combined with the fact that the data itself isn’t resent, it is just ‘made up’ to make up for some of the ‘misses’ along the way..
When made up data is near a rock and roll transient peak, it will KILL it! (either extend the peak or miss it, ‘in part’). The many ways in which errors can amass in ways that alter the final sound output; is many (CD spec allowed for up to 1411 errors per frame(?edit checked this; I think I was getting my CIRC confused with CRC, but I believe I was refering to the 75 sectors per second, each being 2048bytes, where 1400 odd errors, which also had ‘loose tolerances’ as to what is required/acceptable when playing with ‘44 thousand samples per second’ would govern our sound:wink:, and ‘on the fly’ reading of zeros and ones from a round disc (requiring speed adjustment to remain linear/constant) CRC can only compensate so much; beyond that is when the logic would either stop playing (good equipment typically), or ‘be heavily altered’ (bargain brands that were happy just magically getting it to all work), and would pass it along. Ever wondered why the $3k DVD player stopped on scratched discs but the supermarket DVD player could ‘play anything’?
Those great players had a lot of effort put into them to enforce as ‘close to perfect’ sound as could be had.
Usually involving clocks.
As someone who had a Superclock 2 mod in a Denon DCD-S10 (with 18x backgate cap upgrades), I have always seen the clock chip as ‘part of the triangle’ of things that matter.
Back in the day it was ‘Transport quality’,’DAC’(circuit) and ‘Clock’. This ’triangle‘ relationship, kinda like with cameras; the triangle of ‘lens’, ‘sensor’, and ‘software’, getting any one of the pillars wrong and the others can become near worthless....

Nowadays we have TRANSPORT and DAC and AMP as our ‘typical‘ headfi ‘source’ to sort..
The M11+ is an excellent transport, a great DAC and a good(/average) amp. (i downplay the amp cause it is about right for the pricepoint, perhaps it may have been improved if FiiO had used their typical homebrew, tuned solutions :wink: ). Feeding the M11+ into an outboard amp- it scales way above what the unit alone can do. The amp section is seriously holding back its ‘best performance’ capability..

.. rave aside,;
Timing is key: and is why the worlds worst USB cable (on the basis that digital audio consists of zeros and ones), isn’t a good idea.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #190 of 211
I just git the fiio m11 plus yesterday and I find that the wifi turns off whenever I switch back to android mode from Bluetooth receiving mode. Whenever this happens I meed to go to settings and manually turn it back on, it’s somewhat of a inconvenience is there any way to fix this?

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #191 of 211
I just git the fiio m11 plus yesterday and I find that the wifi turns off whenever I switch back to android mode from Bluetooth receiving mode. Whenever this happens I meed to go to settings and manually turn it back on, it’s somewhat of a inconvenience is there any way to fix this?
Dear friend,

Thanks for your feedback. In order to save the battery and reduce the interference, the Wifi will be turned off when in BT receiving mode automatically. But we will report to the engineer to check whether it could be turned on again automatically after returning to Android mode via firmware update.

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 6, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #193 of 211
I need help with my m11 plus Ltd. Anytime I play a song that starts immediately, there is a delay of sound and I miss the first 200-300 milliseconds. This only happens when I am using actual headphone output. If I use external dac with spdif then it isn’t a problem. It happens using fiio player from sd card flac, qobuz, and Apple Music. I have messed with every crossfade, gapless, or other in app options. I have even turned off battery saving options deep in the settings of device (deep in app settings something about optimize app for battery life or something). Didn’t help. Firmware up to date. Apps up to date. It’s almost like the headphone amp has to wake up. The only way to hear the downbeat of a song is to put it repeat 1 and go to near end of the song and let it loop around.

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #194 of 211
I need help with my m11 plus Ltd. Anytime I play a song that starts immediately, there is a delay of sound and I miss the first 200-300 milliseconds. This only happens when I am using actual headphone output. If I use external dac with spdif then it isn’t a problem. It happens using fiio player from sd card flac, qobuz, and Apple Music. I have messed with every crossfade, gapless, or other in app options. I have even turned off battery saving options deep in the settings of device (deep in app settings something about optimize app for battery life or something). Didn’t help. Firmware up to date. Apps up to date. It’s almost like the headphone amp has to wake up. The only way to hear the downbeat of a song is to put it repeat 1 and go to near end of the song and let it loop around.
Dear friend,

Would you mind trying a factory restore to see whether it helps?

Best regards

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #195 of 211
Thanks for response fiio. I just tried that, but still misses first beat of song, no matter if streaming, downloaded, or saved flac on drive. It does not do this when using external dac… only with power headphone output (any of them 3.5 2.5 and 4.4)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back