FiiO X7 preview world tour--tour impressions rolling in
Nov 20, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #616 of 732
just came back from a headphone store. Glad I took an amp with my X7 but my X7 was able to power both the HD650 and HD700 
eek.gif

Sounded a bit better with an amp but honestly the X7 amp is a beast. Q701, HD650 and HD700 sounded so good on it

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #617 of 732
That's an extremely tough question.

The X7 has an almost holographic presentation but doesn't quite cross the line in my opinion and is quite addictive. The Mojo sounds extremely natural to me. The Mojo is very good for powering pretty much anything out there silently from sensitive IEMs and high impedance headphones like the hd800 (HE6, Abyss, and AKG1000 and the like excluded) in one package, but you have to stack it. Using the JH Angie IEM as the only fair comparison the X7 seems to highlight every note/frequency which makes things slightly exaggerated/expanded to me, while the Mojo sounds more naturally cohesive (again, to my ears) but extremely well layered. Both are great (when using IEM) and I suspect the different amp modules will only expand the X7 functionality. I'd give the edge to the Mojo for my personal taste based on SQ alone.

6 days in to review, Have to agree with Relic. I feel like all our reviews are going to be exactly the same XD. Using my 425's It seems like each sound is separated and brought out of its shell. I was listening to some Young Dubliners and the fiddle stood out where it doesn't usually stand out. Loved it, that being said. There have been some songs that don't benefit from this. I'll have to give an example later.

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #618 of 732
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/lRqWCzAkVGU[/VIDEO]

I made a clumsy video about translating the X7 FiiO Music's help screen, which is still in Chinese :xf_eek:

And FiiO HQ will apparently be making an operational video of the X7 subtitled in English.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 21, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #619 of 732
Thanks for sharing the translation Joe! :)

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #620 of 732
I'm sure I missed it in one of the reviews somewhere, but can all the dedicated buttons be used - stop, play, ff, rev, skip, prev, vol up/down - with the screen off?

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #621 of 732
Yep - not sure about ff and rew, but play/pause, next/previous, and vol +/- all work. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #622 of 732
  Yep - not sure about ff and rew, but play/pause, next/previous, and vol +/- all work. 

That's really good news, it is amazing how rare that is.

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #624 of 732
+2 for holographic presentation. Listening to it now with the Havi (IT CAN POWER THE HAVI???!) and maaan I can actually heard where the instruments are. Holographic DAP + holographic iem with massive soundstage = bliss. Does anyone else feel that the original FW was smoother though? Not that I'm complaining, it sounds a little more dynamic now.

+3

I am enjoying the sound of Havi B3P1 intensely through the X7 :)

Due to X7's separation capabilities of channels*, left and right separation of sounds becomes apparent which ensures a great listening experience with the Havi. Almost 3 D soundstage of the X7 matches great with this iem. Imaging is also excellent with the combo... B3P1 scaled very well with it :wink:

So far I am in love with the sound of X7. It will be hard to pass it to the next reviewer :frowning2:

* ESS9018 X 1, ESS9018 already includes 8 channels DAC so it does not need 2 DAC chips. L/R both are quad DAC.

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #625 of 732
I think there is a quandary here because Fiio in essence created two different X7 units in the same case...

The boot mode - Fiio Music Mode and the Launcher3 Mode...

There are separate issues with either boot mode...  none of which stops the X7 from being a great player... but Fiio knows they have a pretty large project on their hands with the UI and Fiio Player development...   

The reviewers only have the X7 for 10 days and so I don't think all issues will be identified with the review units by themselves...   I think feedback will go back to Fiio and they will begin the updates as fast as they can...  but I suspect the public will be the biggest driver of changes once the X7 gets into every ones hands...  its just that the X7 has so much capability/options it would be impossible to ask the reviewers to pick up and document all of the wishes/issues...

as an example...   the Neutron app is on the apps whitelisted page...  you load it and it seems to be a very good solution for what some have mentioned they'd like to see on the X7 ..  like a volume slider, it is there on Neutron and it works..   but using Neutron I found that the volume buttons on the side only work with the volume going up... the down button does not work...  but if you use the volume slider in Neutron then you can just slide your finger up/down ...  
so is that a Fiio issue... or a Neutron issue ??   The side bottons work fine in the Fiio Music app...  

And we also have scenarios where a " Wish list " needs to be started and developed to address possible enhancements in the software..  again I'll use Neutron as an example with a couple of wishes...

the Fiio Music App does not support screen rotate...  where the Neutron does.... ( I like that portrait mode, spreads out the data on screen )
the Fiio Music App does not support song to song volume leveling...  where the Neutron does...  very nice not having to constantly adjust the volume level from song to song
Wish list - I'd like to see while in song to song mode when the next song is queued up the screen flashes the Album cover for a couple seconds...  there are many songs on my cards I have never listened to and when they start to play I'm having to turn the screen on to see the details...

This is a pretty phenomenal player.. its only going to get better and better... 

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #626 of 732
Can anyone give me some detailed specs about the equalizer on the X7?

+/- how many maximum dB? +/- 6dB? +/- 12dB? +/- 24dB?

How many minimum dB increments can you choose to set each band? 0.1dB? 0.2dB? 0.5dB?

How many frequency bands are there that you can adjust? Which ones?

Can you set a volume precut for the EQ?

How many personalized EQ presets can you save on this player? One? Ten? An infinite number?

Can your personalized EQ presets include the volume precut, along with the frequency band gains?

Can you also create separate, simple personalized EQ presets that only change the volume precut -- while leaving everything else in place?

Is it easy to change your personalized EQ presets quickly -- on the fly -- while enjoying a song, adjusting the volume, changing the track, etc.?

Can you quickly toggle back and forth between your EQ preset list(s) and the track listing of the album that's currently playing?

Is it fairly easy to navigate from your EQ preset list(s) to your music collection list, and back?

And finally,...instead of just manually creating a personalized EQ preset while using the music player, can you use a simple text editor on your PC (such as Notepad) -- using a particular code -- to create a .cfg configuration file for an EQ preset? Can you drag and drop this file onto the root directory of the music player? And can you organize these .cfg text files into your own personalized sub-directories, and sub-sub-directories, if you choose?

----------------
The text of that .cfg file might look something like this:

eq enabled: on
eq precut: 0
eq low shelf filter: 32, 7, 240
eq peak filter 1: 64, 10, -15
eq peak filter 2: 125, 10, -115
eq peak filter 3: 250, 10, -105
eq peak filter 4: 500, 10, -83
eq peak filter 5: 1000, 10, -65
eq peak filter 6: 2000, 10, -65
eq peak filter 7: 4000, 10, -105
eq peak filter 8: 8000, 10, -135
eq high shelf filter: 16000, 7, -165
-----------------

Any answers to these technical questions about the EQ on the FiiO X7 player would be greatly appreciated!  
wink_face.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #628 of 732
  Can anyone give me some detailed specs about the equalizer on the X7?

Any answers to these technical questions about the EQ on the FiiO X7 player would be greatly appreciated!  
wink_face.gif

Answers in Bold to the best of my abilities Disco!

+/- how many maximum dB? +/- 6dB? +/- 12dB? +/- 24dB? +/- 12 dB

How many minimum dB increments can you choose to set each band? 0.1dB? 0.2dB? 0.5dB? EQ Uses slider bar = No specific number of steps. But I would say alot. likely 0.2dB (DO NOT QUOTE ME HERE). Maybe @Joe Bloggs can shed some light

How many frequency bands are there that you can adjust? Which ones? As listed: 32, 61, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k

Can you set a volume precut for the EQ? Not in any options I could find

How many personalized EQ presets can you save on this player? One? Ten? An infinite number? Technically, there is only one user defined EQ. However, the Pop and Rock EQ options can be customized and will maintain settings. So in reality, 3 options.

Can your personalized EQ presets include the volume precut, along with the frequency band gains? No volume precut found

Can you also create separate, simple personalized EQ presets that only change the volume precut -- while leaving everything else in place? See above

Is it easy to change your personalized EQ presets quickly -- on the fly -- while enjoying a song, adjusting the volume, changing the track, etc.? If on Fiio music now playing screen, Only two clicks to change to desired preset

Can you quickly toggle back and forth between your EQ preset list(s) and the track listing of the album that's currently playing? Yes, from the EQ the back button takes you to now playing

Is it fairly easy to navigate from your EQ preset list(s) to your music collection list, and back? Subjective, but I feel yes. Three buttons between library and EQ options

And finally,...instead of just manually creating a personalized EQ preset while using the music player, can you use a simple text editor on your PC (such as Notepad) -- using a particular code -- to create a .cfg configuration file for an EQ preset? Can you drag and drop this file onto the root directory of the music player? And can you organize these .cfg text files into your own personalized sub-directories, and sub-sub-directories, if you choose? Sadly, over my head... I don't see an import option, however there may be a config file in the app settings if you find it on the device. This would be a question better suited for @Joe Bloggs!

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #629 of 732
  Answers in Bold to the best of my abilities Disco!

I appreciate the answers, Vividcard! I'm just comparing the EQ features on the X7 to the features on Rockbox firmware (for the iPod Classic, etc.)

It'd sure be nice if the developers at Rockbox could eventually come out with firmware for the FiiO X5 at some point in the future. (I prefer a clickwheel over a touchscreen.) I'm sure the X5 (and obviously the flagship X7) have superior sound hardware over the iPod Classic; it's just that Rockbox firmware is the freakin' greatest thing since sliced bread, in my opinion, and without it, the DAP just ain't gonna cut it for me. Oh well....

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #630 of 732

I appreciate the answers, Vividcard! I'm just comparing the EQ features on the X7 to the features on Rockbox firmware (for the iPod Classic, etc.)

It'd sure be nice if the developers at Rockbox could eventually come out with firmware for the FiiO X5 at some point in the future. (I prefer a clickwheel over a touchscreen.) I'm sure the X5 (and obviously the flagship X7) have superior sound hardware over the iPod Classic; it's just that Rockbox firmware is the freakin' greatest thing since sliced bread, in my opinion, and without it, the DAP just ain't gonna cut for me. Oh well....

Not a problem. In my opinion, if you can come up with a reason not to upgrade the you can save yourself some cash. Most people here try to come up with convincing reasons to buy a new device so they wont get in trouble with their significant other XD. 

As a side note, the quality of the device is great and in my opinion will be worth the cost when it gets primetime with a few updates on its shoulders XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back