FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Nov 29, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #5,957 of 6,207
Great choice imo :wink:

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #5,958 of 6,207
Hello, I would like to buy a Fiio x7 gen 2. Recently I bought a Fiio M11 Pro which I returned, not satisfied with the sound. Not to be misunderstood, the M11 Pro is a good dapper, except I'm not a fan of the warm sound. What I didn't like, the environments too warm and the sound too in front. So I'm heading to X7 mk. 2, which I listened to and liked, the sound is more '' crisp ''. I would like to ask you what kind of amplification to buy am3d or am5 (I see many say I have 5 sounds great)? I only use the 3.5 mm output and the headphones are akg k500, Fiio ex1 and dunu dn 2000j. Is THX from 3d worth the difference?

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #5,961 of 6,207
Hello, I would like to buy a Fiio x7 gen 2. Recently I bought a Fiio M11 Pro which I returned, not satisfied with the sound. Not to be misunderstood, the M11 Pro is a good dapper, except I'm not a fan of the warm sound. What I didn't like, the environments too warm and the sound too in front. So I'm heading to X7 mk. 2, which I listened to and liked, the sound is more '' crisp ''. I would like to ask you what kind of amplification to buy am3d or am5 (I see many say I have 5 sounds great)? I only use the 3.5 mm output and the headphones are akg k500, Fiio ex1 and dunu dn 2000j. Is THX from 3d worth the difference?
I have both the M11 and X7ii and nearly ditched the X7ii after hearing the X7ii until I got the AM5 module. Now It's my go-to player even over the M11.

Reading what you wrote... except I'm not a fan of the warm sound. What I didn't like, the environments too warm and the sound too in front. So I'm heading to X7 mk. 2, which I listened to and liked, the sound is more '' crisp ''.... It's absolutely spot on ESPECIALLY with the AM5, which gives the etched sound and irons out the slightly brittle I was getting with my FH7's with the base X7ii + AM3.

I like the M11 and won't sell it. It's a beguiling player still. Howver, the X7ii+AM5 is noticeable more "present", visceral, and dynamic. It's got a vice like grip over proceedings!

I've not tried the AM3D but was reading that differences are subtle over stock AM3.

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #5,962 of 6,207
Ok, thank you for the answer. I think I'll wait with the module, I'll take the device and see how it fits with the headset. Then I will order an additional module. From what I read here, the X7 has all sorts of UI issues, I will buy a new device and use it with original firmware. At least until they get to a new stable firmware. I see that they are complaining enough about the latest version.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #5,963 of 6,207
Ok, thank you for the answer. I think I'll wait with the module, I'll take the device and see how it fits with the headset. Then I will order an additional module. From what I read here, the X7 has all sorts of UI issues, I will buy a new device and use it with original firmware. At least until they get to a new stable firmware. I see that they are complaining enough about the latest version.
Never had any issues with UI. And you can load UAPP on it which is great.. I should add to my post, I almost ditched my X7II, when I got my FH7 iems.

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #5,964 of 6,207
I've not tried the AM3D but was reading that differences are subtle over stock AM3.

I don't know where you've read that, but that is absolutely not the case. When I got my AM3D I compared it to my AM3A and was surprised that I didn't feel like listening to it anymore at all. I haven't used it since. First thing I noticed about the AM3D is the much improved sub-bass, then the detail, clarity, instrument separation and the improved, more 3D sound stage. The AM3A sounded surprisingly unclear when I compared it. This is all using the balanced output.
Yesterday I was comparing it to iBasso DC01, not a fair comparison considering the massive price difference, but I really noticed how natural and smooth the X7 II + AM3D sounds, apart from its properties that I just mentioned.

I haven't tried the AM5, it seems to get a lot of love here, especially with headphones that are harder to drive. I don't have any high impedance headphones, so I can't test that with my AM3D.

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #5,965 of 6,207
I don't know where you've read that, but that is absolutely not the case. When I got my AM3D I compared it to my AM3A and was surprised that I didn't feel like listening to it anymore at all. I haven't used it since. First thing I noticed about the AM3D is the much improved sub-bass, then the detail, clarity, instrument separation and the improved, more 3D sound stage. The AM3A sounded surprisingly unclear when I compared it. This is all using the balanced output.
Yesterday I was comparing it to iBasso DC01, not a fair comparison considering the massive price difference, but I really noticed how natural and smooth the X7 II + AM3D sounds, apart from its properties that I just mentioned.

I haven't tried the AM5, it seems to get a lot of love here, especially with headphones that are harder to drive. I don't have any high impedance headphones, so I can't test that with my AM3D.

Oops I checked again, it was over on the AM3D thread on headfi. Actually the guys we comparing the AM3D to the AM5 and not the stock AM3. I must admit I am tempted still to try and AM3D :)

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #5,966 of 6,207
Oops I checked again, it was over on the AM3D thread on headfi. Actually the guys we comparing the AM3D to the AM5 and not the stock AM3. I must admit I am tempted still to try and AM3D :)

Haha, well that explains it then. I guess FiiO did a really good job with the AM5.

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #5,968 of 6,207
hi all. thanks for all the reviews on the AM variants . appreciated it.:bow:
is there a list to the following variants? as it get kinda confused :blush:.

• AM3
  • AM5
  • AM5D?
  • AM3A?
There is no AM5D, AM3A is the stock amp that comes with X7II.
These are all the AMPs available for X7, X7ii, Q5 and Q5s:
AM1 - Stock AMP with X7
AM2
AM2A
AM3
AM3A - Stock AMP with X7II
AM3B
AM3D
AM3E - Stock AMP with Q5s
AM5

For more information on each module check the link: https://www.fiio.com/accessory

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #5,970 of 6,207
If someone from Fiio reads this:

is there any chance Fiio will include Tidal support in the Fiio music app?
So I can stream Tidal via fiio link from mobile phone to Fiio X7ii. Like in the AK connect app?
Dear friend,

We will report to the engineer for accessing about that first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back