FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #5,131 of 6,207
Yesterday I received an update from FiiO Music app direct from Google Play. I not used the X7II much after de update, but I think the crashes decreased but the app is not much responsive and fast at all.

yes it’s awfully slow, i get less crashes by using only one microsd slot, but it still crashes every few songs, and all the time when playing in shuffle mode.
I hope they won’t release it.

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #5,132 of 6,207
yes it’s awfully slow, i get less crashes by using only one microsd slot, but it still crashes every few songs, and all the time when playing in shuffle mode.
I hope they won’t release it.
It's a shame that a device that was release 1 1/2 years ago still does not have a stable firmware. Come on FiiO it is your flagship device after all.

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #5,133 of 6,207
going for a Rockchip CPU was a mistake, these chips are crap, with not much support, can't run above Android 5, so Fiio seems to be stuck with the bad hardware choice and the difficulty to do anything good with it now. Just speculation from my side, but i can't understand another reason why the X7 and the X5 III have such a poor software while other Fiio more recent products like M7 or M9 don't have such issues.

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #5,134 of 6,207
New firmware uses Samsung Exynos SOC and those has a lot of limitations as well. They do not run full android due to memory issues and all third party apps usable are added at fiio’s discretion, either preloaded or a link is added to a list of approved apk.

The crashes in the beta app is quite frequent and I suppose they are still ironing out the kinks hence why not releasing it still. I am using neutron on the beta firmware and it runs the same with no problem.

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #5,135 of 6,207
going for a Rockchip CPU was a mistake, these chips are crap, with not much support, can't run above Android 5, so Fiio seems to be stuck with the bad hardware choice and the difficulty to do anything good with it now. Just speculation from my side, but i can't understand another reason why the X7 and the X5 III have such a poor software while other Fiio more recent products like M7 or M9 don't have such issues.

But the iBasso uses The same rockit chip and some weeks ago made an update for The Android 8.1 Oreo. But I agree that the future for DAP software is a closed one. Android in background but an structure that is closed like some iBasso, Sony and the new M FiiO line. The problems are more easy to solve and the optimizations are much better. @FiiO @FiiO USA, is not possible to bring a software like the New M line for the X7-II??

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #5,136 of 6,207
But the iBasso uses The same rockit chip and some weeks ago made an update for The Android 8.1 Oreo. But I agree that the future for DAP software is a closed one. Android in background but an structure that is closed like some iBasso, Sony and the new M FiiO line. The problems are more easy to solve and the optimizations are much better. @FiiO @FiiO USA, is not possible to bring a software like the New M line for the X7-II??
No, iBasso uses a better rockship RK3368.

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #5,139 of 6,207
I hope Fiio will fix this app one day, that's nice to change it, add nice features, but it's unacceptable to have such an unstable app that can't handle both SD card slots properly (it's more stable when only the slot 1 is used) and won't handle big libraries (i have 12000 Flacs and it makes it slow and crashy, when i go down to 5000 tunes it's better).

It's interesting that you mentioned that about the 2 card instability. I just got an X7II last week and actually set up a return to Amazon for it and ordered an AK SR-15 because the X7II was extremely unstable (locking up, audio dropping during songs). I was a bit disappointed because I thought it sounded really good.

To get ready for the single slot SR-15 I went out and got a 400 gig card and transferred all my music from the other two cards (Sandisk 128 and 200)

I'd used this pair of cards in an iBasso DX80 and then more recently in an Onkyo DP-X1 and never had any problems with them.

I figured I'd just give the X7II another shot with just the one card and it ran perfectly. When the SR-15 arrived the following day I compared the two, and although the AK did sound VERY good, I liked the signature of the Fiio better, especially when using Neutron.

I ended up sending the AK back and kept the Fiio. I'm going to stay away from the new firmware, at least until it's actually released. I don't use the Fiio player really and The thing is actually running ok for me right now.

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #5,140 of 6,207
tI strongly advise you do not install this beta. I did last night and it's totally unusable. Previous Fiio Music would crash every ten songs or so, this one crashes all the time, after skipping the first song i'm playing, or randomly but i can't use it for more than 5/10 mins before it crashes. When it's crashed it will restart but won't play anymore songs until i reboot the X7. Unusable. (and yes i did a full wipe before installing it)
Too bad as i really like the new Fiio music app, it looks amazing.

I hope Fiio will fix this app one day, that's nice to change it, add nice features, but it's unacceptable to have such an unstable app that can't handle both SD card slots properly (it's more stable when only the slot 1 is used) and won't handle big libraries (i have 12000 Flacs and it makes it slow and crashy, when i go down to 5000 tunes it's better).

That's the reason why i use Neutron who never crashes and handle huge libraries, even when i blend the X7 library with my NAS library, no problem with 60000 songs, rock solid. If Neutron can do it why not Fiio Music ? Fiio engineers should be sent for coding courses to the Neutron developper ?

I'd love to get the X7 out from my drawer more often and use it, but for now i'll return to my Sony WMA1 and A&K SR15, these are stable and a joy to use (but i prefer the X7 sound).

Fiio, PLEASE, fix it !
Dear friend,

Thanks for your kind feedback.
Please try to do a factory restore first.
Please try to add the music files using the card reader instead of using the X7MKII.
If the issue remains same, please contact support@fiio.com about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #5,141 of 6,207
Dear friend,

Thanks for your kind feedback.
Please try to do a factory restore first.
Please try to add the music files using the card reader instead of using the X7MKII.

Best regards

Kind feedback ? no this is not a kind feedback anymore, this is exasperation. I did a factory reset twice and it doesn't change anything, when you get past 5000 files Fiio Music gets slow as hell and crashes all the time. I suceeded once in playing 10 tracks without crashing, should i consider this a success ?

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #5,142 of 6,207
Kind feedback ? no this is not a kind feedback anymore, this is exasperation. I did a factory reset twice and it doesn't change anything, when you get past 5000 files Fiio Music gets slow as hell and crashes all the time. I suceeded once in playing 10 tracks without crashing, should i consider this a success ?
Dear friend,

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #5,143 of 6,207
SoundSquare, I have 16,000+ FLAC on mine and Fiio music runs pretty well. I have issues with Neutron crashing in android mode. Everything was loaded via a card reader. Just an FYI. The second micro SD (2 @ 400gb) takes a little longer to load, but once it is up and running, Fiio music is fine. I prefer Neutron, and that is my concern with this unit. I hope they get this new FW out and it has the bugs worked out. This has me questioning Fiio's capability to put out top line equipment that is stable and is supported.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #5,144 of 6,207
2 SanDisk Ultra 400gb in my X7ii flac, mp3 and DSD all loaded with the cards in the x7ii. The Fiio app and Neutron work without any problems. I occassionally plug a Samsing SSD with DSD in as well no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back