FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Dec 10, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #5,071 of 6,207
What is this? Some kind of attempt to downplay the NEED for a newer firmware than the 1.06? I'm not buying it, as this device needs a NEW firmware, not a regressive attempt to go backwards. To now be talking about a couple folks who think that they are content going backwards doesn't avoid the fact that the cognizant purchasers of this device are asking to get the problems with the 1.06 FIXED, not just content on going backwards. This device needs new firmware. 1.04 is not acceptable to anyone here, except perhaps one or two people.

With the introduction of new devices, it seems that the ball was dropped on the X7 Mk II to allow the engineering resources at FIIO to be concentrated on making these newer devices marketable. Let's just say that we haven't all decided to allow a couple of posters to get the engineers off the hook here. We must have some new firmware to fix a host of problems with the X7 Mk II. I don't even attempt to run this device from a cold boot, as I know it needs to be rebooted again to work at all. My device locks up and won't play anything until I reboot it if it hasn't been on in a day or more. That needs to be fixed with a firmware update.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #5,072 of 6,207
Agreed! We definitely need a new firmware.

There are two issues that are keeping me from regularly using the X7 MKII.
  1. Playback in Tidal is not reliable, with songs randomly skipping. Happen with music on both the local and SD storage.
  2. Bluetooth headphone connectivity is terrible. Many audio drops. Using Sony MX1000, which work perfectly on all other audio devices.
Been hoping these would be solved for way too long now. I'm close to selling this unit and buying something else.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #5,074 of 6,207
With the introduction of new devices, it seems that the ball was dropped on the X7 Mk II to allow the engineering resources at FIIO to be concentrated on making these newer devices marketable. Let's just say that we haven't all decided to allow a couple of posters to get the engineers off the hook here. We must have some new firmware to fix a host of problems with the X7 Mk II. I don't even attempt to run this device from a cold boot, as I know it needs to be rebooted again to work at all. My device locks up and won't play anything until I reboot it if it hasn't been on in a day or more. That needs to be fixed with a firmware update.
I totally agree that device should have latest firmware. I have similar problem: sometimes (quite often) when I turning on device it is going in a continuous unstopable reboot cycle. I could only turn on device from boot loader menu. I totally dislike this situation. It was present in both 1.0.4 and 1.0.6 firmwares... :frowning2: And I hope it will be fixed in next firmware - that is why I'm waiting for it (and waiting for the fix of this issue) and do not want to go back to 1.0.4.

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #5,075 of 6,207
The bass on the X7ii sounds thick but loose to me. I prefer tighter bass. Especially when listening to jazz sounds on the contrabass comes loose.
Thanks for quick reply.
I like that there is a lot of bass for me (I do not know how to describe it properly. What means "thick"/"loose"?) It was just good and I had a lot of it.
Just have subjective feeling that with time (at the day that I did an upgrade in firmware) there is less bass. And I liked previous sound with a lot of bass.

It is interesting - someone else have this feeling that sound signature is changed or not?

Dec 10, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #5,076 of 6,207
Going backwards is not an option. This device is in need of some tweaks with it's drastic failures. I don't see any change in sound signature entering into it. My problem is with catastrophic cold boots and the inability to play anything until it gets rebooted from a cold boot. I find that unacceptable. I know I sound a bit harsh, but this has been unaddressed for a long time now. I don't want to sound like I don't believe that the engineers at FIIO aren't capable of fixing these issues, as I am confident that they can do it. I feel they are working on it, but it would be nice to do what someone else suggested and release some firmware in open source so that some astute members of this forum can be of some help in this matter.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #5,077 of 6,207
Going backwards is not an option. This device is in need of some tweaks with it's drastic failures. I don't see any change in sound signature entering into it. My problem is with catastrophic cold boots and the inability to play anything until it gets rebooted from a cold boot. I find that unacceptable.
I totally agree! Lets hope that engineers are fixing this and similar errors now. And that they will release new firmware update with no crashes or bugs!

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #5,078 of 6,207
Hi.

I have upgraded my Fiio X7 mark 2 from firmware 1.0.4 to 1.0.6.
To me it is seems like sound signature of the player changed. It is brighter now.

And I totally dislike this change of signature. I like more dark/warm sound.

So, maybe someone experienced something similar?
Could someone confirm or deny similar change of signature after firmware upgrade?
It is very strange to see change of signature after software change. It should not happen, as I picked this player in shop after auditioning and picking specific sound signature among others.
And now it is different from signature that I purchased...

What you described here is not entirely impossible. Back when X5III went from 1.0.6 to higher revisions, the kernel changed the sound noticeably. At the time, the engineer explained that in order to upgrade the system and tweak the kernel, sometimes the sound quality will change depending due to coding and system priorities and etc. So to put simply, new version = improvements = possibly new sound.

If you like the old sound, you should it at 1.0.4, but don't expect the next version will revert back to a sound you like.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #5,079 of 6,207
Was wondering about getting one of these for work. I have ak se100 and Sony wm1a for home. However, I'm reading a lot of negativity. Would I be better off with Cayin n5iis or a lotoo paw 5000 mk2?

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #5,080 of 6,207
Just to clarify streaming not important

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #5,081 of 6,207
Was wondering about getting one of these for work. I have ak se100 and Sony wm1a for home. However, I'm reading a lot of negativity. Would I be better off with Cayin n5iis or a lotoo paw 5000 mk2?
I'm listening only local musical files. I have this player for 4 months now. Bought it for $700 and have not listened other players in this range much...
I have only those 2 mentioned major issues with it. I have quite advanced headphones LCD2c ($800) and quite like sound quality form X7II. But just want to have those issues to be fixed.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #5,082 of 6,207
Agreed! We definitely need a new firmware.

There are two issues that are keeping me from regularly using the X7 MKII.
  1. Playback in Tidal is not reliable, with songs randomly skipping. Happen with music on both the local and SD storage.
  2. Bluetooth headphone connectivity is terrible. Many audio drops. Using Sony MX1000, which work perfectly on all other audio devices.
Been hoping these would be solved for way too long now. I'm close to selling this unit and buying something else.
Dear friend,

1. Are you using the latest version Tidal or the version in FiiO Market? Some users mentioned that the playback problem with Tidal can be solved by enabling crossfade in Tidal settings and setting it to one second.
2. Bluetooth transmission is affected by many factors. You could try to turn off the Wifi and do not put the X7MKII to far away from the Bluetooth headphone to see if it helps.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #5,083 of 6,207
Going backwards is not an option. This device is in need of some tweaks with it's drastic failures. I don't see any change in sound signature entering into it. My problem is with catastrophic cold boots and the inability to play anything until it gets rebooted from a cold boot. I find that unacceptable. I know I sound a bit harsh, but this has been unaddressed for a long time now. I don't want to sound like I don't believe that the engineers at FIIO aren't capable of fixing these issues, as I am confident that they can do it. I feel they are working on it, but it would be nice to do what someone else suggested and release some firmware in open source so that some astute members of this forum can be of some help in this matter.
Dear friend,

The cold boot you means is related to the weather? Or the X7MKII failed to work after rebooting? You could send email to support@fiio.com with more information.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 11, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #5,084 of 6,207
Dear friend,

The cold boot you means is related to the weather? Or the X7MKII failed to work after rebooting? You could send email to support@fiio.com with more information.

Best regards
I'm sorry for the confusion in my post. What I meant by cold boot is that when I first use the device after shutting it down. If I have just used the device the same day, I usually don't have any problems, but if I allow it to sit for a day or more, and then try to use it, the device will not allow me to get to play any music until I reboot the device, at least once. I seem to have no weather specific problems with the X7 Mk II. Thanks for the response.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #5,085 of 6,207
Dear friend,

1. Are you using the latest version Tidal or the version in FiiO Market? Some users mentioned that the playback problem with Tidal can be solved by enabling crossfade in Tidal settings and setting it to one second.
2. Bluetooth transmission is affected by many factors. You could try to turn off the Wifi and do not put the X7MKII to far away from the Bluetooth headphone to see if it helps.

Best regards

1 - I'm using the latest version of Tidal from the Play Store. They removed the crossfade option a while ago, but that didn't fix anything for me.
2 - I keep the X7 in my jacket, in a pocket at chest level. It's not going to get any closer to the headphones. Turning off wifi doesn't improve BT performance. I don't have this issue with any other BT audio playback devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back