FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #3,271 of 6,207
Haven't hearxd XDP-300, but I love my meze 99 Classics paired with X7mkii. It really makes them sing!

You might love DX200 with AMP2 or AMP5, if you're using single ended connection, or AMP3 if you're using Balanced connection!

I wanted to love dx200, but it feels so beta to me. So many bugs here and there. Skipping sound, noise clicking when starting some songs, random pause and the UI is so bland compared to x7ii. But good sound though, need to choose between them in one week.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #3,273 of 6,207
I wanted to love dx200, but it feels so beta to me. So many bugs here and there. Skipping sound, noise clicking when starting some songs, random pause and the UI is so bland compared to x7ii. But good sound though, need to choose between them in one week.

Woah

I haven't had a single bug with DX200 actually... Strange thing to happen to someone.

Re: Burn-in - iBasso DX200 comes with a burn-in cable which is Balanced. Just for the peace of mind, I run all devices through it. No idea if it is real or not, but better just go ahead with it than arguing. I don't know whether I really heard burn-in on a DAP before, but I do this just to be sure.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,274 of 6,207
OK tried the new X7 II, sounds great, but in single ended. Balanced had way too much bass, and nothing special. Dont know why.

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #3,275 of 6,207
Question about the balanced out. I noticed there are quite a few 2.5mm male to 3.5 mm female adapters out there. Will these allow using a single ended 3.5 mm connection with the balanced 2.5mm? If so would you get the full benefit of the balanced connection's extra power?

Just wondering because I have a Grado SR325e which has an undetachable single ended cable. While it sounds pretty decent out of the X7 3.5mm, I'd like to see if I could get a bit more out of it using the balanced without having to purchase the AM5 module. Would the 2.5 mm male (balanced) to 3.5 mm female (SE) extension do the trick?

Dec 9, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,276 of 6,207
Question about the balanced out. I noticed there are quite a few 2.5mm male to 3.5 mm female adapters out there. Will these allow using a single ended 3.5 mm connection with the balanced 2.5mm? If so would you get the full benefit of the balanced connection's extra power?

Just wondering because I have a Grado SR325e which has an undetachable single ended cable. While it sounds pretty decent out of the X7 3.5mm, I'd like to see if I could get a bit more out of it using the balanced without having to purchase the AM5 module. Would the 2.5 mm male (balanced) to 3.5 mm female (SE) extension do the trick?

Don’t EVER plug single ended headphones in to a balanced output. You’ll likely short the connection and damage something.

You can go the other way and get an adaptor to plug in balanced headphones to a SE output because the ground would be wired correctly for SE with the proper wired adaptor (mostly for convenience rather than changing cables).

Edit: is the adaptor you saw for 2.5mm (A&K) balanced to 3.5mm balanced (HiFiMan)?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,277 of 6,207

Don'y connect anything that is SE to a balanced output, you could fry both.

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,278 of 6,207
Don’t EVER plug single ended headphones in to a balanced output. You’ll likely short the connection and damage something.

You can go the other way and get an adaptor to plug in balanced headphones to a SE output because the ground would be wired correctly for SE with the proper wired adaptor (mostly for convenience rather than changing cables).

Edit: is the adaptor you saw for 2.5mm (A&K) balanced to 3.5mm balanced (HiFiMan)?

Thanks for the responses. I’m talking about this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A....5+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=4153cEEOXKL&ref=plSrch

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #3,279 of 6,207

I wouldn’t touch it. YMMV.

You need to understand the wiring. The A&K 2.5mm balanced pins are R-, R+, L-, L+ with no ground wire. SE TRS is L-, R+, ground.

Edit: reading the Amazon reviews it seems that people are happy with the adaptor, but again, I wouldn’t use it.

Edit2: this 2 star review sums up what the adaptor is:

2.0 out of 5 starsKnow what you are buying
ByWarpon April 15, 2017

This may be a great "adapter" but that is all it is. Due to the nature and construction of a balanced circuit, this is all this is - an adapter. It does not make your non-balanced headphones balanced. Any perceived sound improvement is in your head. This is a plug adapter - not a headphone enhancer. Save your money and buy a $2.99 headphone Y adapter if you want to use two pair of headphones. If all you have on your player is a balanced output, then this will allow you to use your non-balanced headphones. It is simply 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,280 of 6,207
I wouldn’t touch it. YMMV.

You need to understand the wiring. The A&K 2.5mm balanced pins are R-, R+, L-, L+ with no ground wire. SE TRS is L-, R+, ground.

Edit: reading the Amazon reviews it seems that people are happy with the adaptor, but again, I wouldn’t use it.

Edit2: this 2 star review sums up what the adaptor is:

2.0 out of 5 starsKnow what you are buying
ByWarpon April 15, 2017

This may be a great "adapter" but that is all it is. Due to the nature and construction of a balanced circuit, this is all this is - an adapter. It does not make your non-balanced headphones balanced. Any perceived sound improvement is in your head. This is a plug adapter - not a headphone enhancer. Save your money and buy a $2.99 headphone Y adapter if you want to use two pair of headphones. If all you have on your player is a balanced output, then this will allow you to use your non-balanced headphones. It is simply 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Awesome. I greatly appreciate the reply.

I'm assuming that balanced to balanced (on say an Elear with a balanced cable) with an adapter will not be a problem. This would be a balanced XLR connection via adapter to the 2.5mm balanced. I'm also assuming it would work vice versa - a 2.5mm balanced to an XLR connection via an adapter?

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #3,281 of 6,207
Awesome. I greatly appreciate the reply.

I'm assuming that balanced to balanced (on say an Elear with a balanced cable) with an adapter will not be a problem. This would be a balanced XLR connection via adapter to the 2.5mm balanced. I'm also assuming it would work vice versa - a 2.5mm balanced to an XLR connection via an adapter?

Yes, a 4pin XLR can easily be adapted to 2.5mm and vice versa.

Dec 9, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #3,282 of 6,207
Woah

I haven't had a single bug with DX200 actually... Strange thing to happen to someone.

Re: Burn-in - iBasso DX200 comes with a burn-in cable which is Balanced. Just for the peace of mind, I run all devices through it. No idea if it is real or not, but better just go ahead with it than arguing. I don't know whether I really heard burn-in on a DAP before, but I do this just to be sure.

Hello George, I wonder how long did u burn in your X7 MK2 and how did u burn in? Would like to burn in mine.. I share the same view with u, not sure if it’s true but better go ahead than arguing.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #3,283 of 6,207
Hello George, I wonder how long did u burn in your X7 MK2 and how did u burn in? Would like to burn in mine.. I share the same view with u, not sure if it’s true but better go ahead than arguing.

I'm supposed to do those things, to eliminate any kind of questions and after thoughts.

I burned it for about 100 hours or so, using the Burn-In cable provided in the package with iBasso DX200.

You can simply listen to music and consider that its burn-in though, this is absolutely possible, and it is what most people do.

There is only one thing to keep in mind, don't leave them loud enough to explode, and if it gets annoying, you can keep in mind that it does burn-in while you use it - so there is really no reason to stress this thing!

I really really have only heard burn-in with one thing thus far - Edifier S1000DB. Those were an adventure, and Brother @ryanjsoo can probably tell stories of it :smile_phones:

Those speakers did burn-in massively, they went from really poor, compressed and flat speakers to a pair of speakers I really enjoy right now!

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #3,284 of 6,207
I really really have only heard burn-in with one thing thus far - Edifier S1000DB. Those were an adventure, and Brother @ryanjsoo can probably tell stories of it :smile_phones:

Those speakers did burn-in massively, they went from really poor, compressed and flat speakers to a pair of speakers I really enjoy right now!

And the reason for that is that they are actually speakers - with a mechanical Spider - which flexes and physically changes. So yes - they can break-in. The problem is the people who automatically assume the same is true for headphones, DD IEMs and BA IEMs (none of which actually have a Spider) :wink:

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,285 of 6,207
Trying this weekend with my new FiiO X7 MKII with my Senheisser HD800 with balanced cable and this are the results testing with Rock, Pop, Techno, Classical, etc. in PCM at different frequencies (44,1 to 352,8 kHz) and DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 :
  1. Trying with different filters and really don't hear any difference.
  2. Trying with AM3 and really don't hear more high volume than AM3A even though AM3 has more power.
  3. I think that AM3 is a little more warmer than AM3A (maybe a perception of my brain).
  4. Compared with FiiO X7 (1st version) i think that maybe X7 is a very little more warmer and has a very little more bass than X7 MKII, but MKII has very little more treble, very little more space and very little more separation. Differences are very subtle.
  5. I have a problem with treble (maybe HD800), I am very sensitive to them and is very easily to squeak in my ears. I think that X7 sound best with AM3A and X7 MKII with AM3, but again, maybe a perception of my brain.
  6. I don't have any problems with microSD card slot 2, slot 1 or USB OTG. I use my X7 MK II with 2 x 400 GB microSD (not fully filled) card and a 2 TB. SSD Samsung T5 drive via OTG (filled with 1 TB. of music files), maybe the largest storage capacity that can be put to Fiio X7 MKII today.
In summary, i think that there are practically no sound differences or very little between AM3 and AM3A (i don't apreciate the more power on AM3) and very, very, very little differences between X7 and X7 MKII. Basically i bought MKII because has DSD256, two microSD card slots, volume wheel and more power to run FiiO Music and play very high res files smoothless and more fluid. I think before buying that X7 MKII has much more sound quality and differences with X7, but sound quality is basically the same, great and impressive sound for both. If someone own a X7 and are thinking to bought and X7 MKII only for the sound quality i recommend to stick with X7, unless you have the money left.

I think that my main problem is that I only need a new headphones with a little more warmer sound and a little more bass.

Clearly the best sound quality format is DSD in all genres.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back