FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,296 of 6,207
Hi All

I have a couple of questions about connecting a Chord Mojo to the X7ii.

Firstly, which is the best way to connect it and secondly, what improvements should I expect?

Regards

Darren
Phone and Mojo would be a lot smarter than a dap and Mojo.

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,297 of 6,207
The A5 is really quite different from both the E12 and E12A. I've owned all three and can honestly say the A5 is a huge improvement on an already competent series. You may not like the E12 which is fine, but that's a preference rather than an indictment on the product.

As for your last part about not sounding better than a smartphone... Wuuuuut?

Am talking about x5 classic i own. I prefer my htc one hp out over x5 hp.

Also i quiet enjoy e12 i own and listen to it on daily basis. But i know x5 line out can give much better than what i get out of e12. Needless to say i will never pair it with line out of x7.

Oct 1, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #2,298 of 6,207
i have pha3 and i am thinking about getting x7 mk2 as a storage brick :)

imho personal audio is subjective.

i borrowed pha3 from time to time since 2016 and recently managed get a new one for around 570$~. can't be more happy.

i tried x7 mk2 locally (yeah, we have local fiio resellers) and result is good but i still could hear 'background noise/static noise/call it something' with sensitive IEMs (yeah, probably will be better if i get amp which specific to iems) which drove me nuts.

but again. software issues? i could not make demo x7 mk2 (older firmware) pair with pha3 over usb. i mean i could not pair x7 mk2 demo with any device over usb.

that is one of the reasons i would want to use it with pha3.
other one is that it sounds different from sony's full fledged amp. would prefer sony amp any day. i like their implementations and how they sound.

i would still prefer to use it with pha3 due to versatility and being dead silent.

Sure, nothing beats personal preference. I was just wondering if you had listened to X7 II.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,299 of 6,207
The A5 is really quite different from both the E12 and E12A. I've owned all three and can honestly say the A5 is a huge improvement on an already competent series. You may not like the E12 which is fine, but that's a preference rather than an indictment on the product.

As for your last part about not sounding better than a smartphone... Wuuuuut?

Yes I agree with you, I used both and E12 added a touch warmness to the sound while A5 was dead neutral for me. I would say that is really an upgrade.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #2,301 of 6,207
shure 846, fiio ex1(not sure why, they not as sensitive) and westone w60.
I can hear background hiss clearly ;(

I have the SE846 and can also hear the noise floor, especially on the balanced output. (I hear it with some of my other IEMs too, but SE846 is the worst.) I'm curious as to why it should be such a big deal to create a low noise floor. I can't post this on the Hugo 2 thread, or I'd be banned from headfi, but even the Hugo 2 - as excellent as it is - also has a small noise floor with the SE846. I know that FiiO knows how to solve this problem, because the X5ii (2nd gen, not 3rd gen) had the blackest background I've ever heard. Hoping for that in the X7iii... :wink:

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,303 of 6,207
For anybody considering purchasing and X7ii from the next batch in the UK I would suggest thinking twice. The price has gone up to £599, I was told this is due to the drop in the value of the £. This is a poor excuse to increase the price of a device that was released after the biggest drop in currency value had already occurred. If we don't buy it at this new 9% increased price, Fiio will have to reconsider their position regarding the price.

I'm sceptical, could the reason for the new price be that they saw how quickly the first batch sold out and so now want to maximise profit.

Signed:A disgruntled customer that was going to buy an X7ii before the price went up.

The greedy dealers who have bounced the price up by £50, will regret it once they see the review in this months
What Hi-Fi.

They give it a rather bad review, mainly based on the fact they think it's overpriced, but there are other criticisms which I think are totally unfair. It finishes up with 3 stars out of 5. They always give the overpriced A&K range 5 stars, but I often had my suspicions about the motives of the ratings of this magazine. Draw your own conclusions.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #2,304 of 6,207
I cannot tell for sure if the latest -03 update has any change in sound, but if it has, I actually prefer what was before this last update :)

I"m just wondering whether I"m deaf or whether there"s a fault with the headphone or cable I am using today.

Can someone check for me, whether he or she hears any difference when switching between the digital filters using firmware 1.0.3 on the FiiO and the latest version of the Tidal app to play music?
Somehow today I cannot make out any difference when switching between filter settings.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,305 of 6,207
The greedy dealers who have bounced the price up by £50, will regret it once they see the review in this months
What Hi-Fi.

They give it a rather bad review, mainly based on the fact they think it's overpriced, but there are other criticisms which I think are totally unfair. It finishes up with 3 stars out of 5. They always give the overpriced A&K range 5 stars, but I often had my suspicions about the motives of the ratings of this magazine. Draw your own conclusions.

I don't care what the name of the magazine or site is, X7mkii is a 4.5 to 5 stars out of 5, there just isn't much to fault with it, especially with its awesome sound. Considering all the other DAPs around, I don't feel that X7mkii is overpriced at all.

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,306 of 6,207
I"m just wondering whether I"m deaf or whether there"s a fault with the headphone or cable I am using today.

Can someone check for me, whether he or she hears any difference when switching between the digital filters using firmware 1.0.3 on the FiiO and the latest version of the Tidal app to play music?
Somehow today I cannot make out any difference when switching between filter settings.

Most of times, the differences between filters are quite small. I wouldn't worry about it too much :darthsmile:

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,307 of 6,207
What Hi-Fi.

The Chord products, being British, always receive great reviews from What Hifi. So do the British designed Cambridge Audio products.
Perhaps there is also a small correlation between stars and whether the company is British, whether the reviewer personally knows the designer of the product and/or advertising spending?

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,310 of 6,207
Most of times, the differences between filters are quite small. I wouldn't worry about it too much :darthsmile:

To my ears (and measuring rig), they're very, very small. All seven filter options here:

X7ii_Filters.png

A couple of possible explanations:

1) The filters somehow have zero effect when the X7ii is used as a USB DAC (see the mains glitch in the above!). I had some communications with Paul (from iBasso) about this and there was some suggestion this might be the case. Not sure why USB DAC mode would disable the effect of these filters, but that's a possibility I heard from a DAP manufacturer that uses the same DAC chip as the X7ii.
2) These filters aren't supposed to have much/any effect on FR, but rather on the pre-/post-ringing from an impulse response.

In either case, the differences are just a bit too subtle for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back