FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 4, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #541 of 6,207
While there is absolutely nothing new in implementing DSD gain compensation and software gain switch (FiiO's DAPs have all these already), the BIAS CONTROL setting is most likely connected to Questyle's proprietary amp technology/circuitry (current amplifier as an intermediate amplification stage followed by a standard "voltage" amplifier, as it was with the QP1R). As the FiiO X7 II has a different internal design and circuitry, implementing this feature is both impossible and useless for FiiO's DAPs:)

Investing in Linux based firmware implies overcoming the inherent Linux issues, problems, limitations and complexity of adapting it to your hardware:) IMHO, you just trade one set of tasks and problems for another. There is no silver bullet or a magic solution to technical problems.

Thanks for the info. I am quite ignorant in these subjects like amps, bias control, etc. Also I'm not expert on Android or Linux development issues, problems, limitations and complexity. Simply is the info that i read in the Questyle's page. Also with Linux there are no apps like Spotify, Tidal, etc. that some people uses, need and want.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #542 of 6,207
Thanks for the info. I am quite ignorant in these subjects like amps, bias control, etc. Also I'm not expert on Android or Linux development issues, problems, limitations and complexity. Simply is the info that i read in the Questyle's page. Also with Linux there are no apps like Spotify, Tidal, etc. that some people uses, need and want.

At the moment, editing Android is the best solution out there.

If people don't like the original music app, using a third party music app should generally be a good middle ground, although some folks prefer the sonic performance of the default app.

In my experience, every single APP changes the signature a bit, but most of them have a fairly minor impact and you shoulld be fine, expecially if you use EQ.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #543 of 6,207
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #545 of 6,207
I also find myself in the need to boost the treble on almost half of my headphones / IEMs, but haven't found one that doesn't make a difference yet. What do you mean by that? All DAPs I tried so far do change the sound, although we can agree that some have the EQ implemented less aggressively than others.

Hi there,

I have a lowly Sony nw-a25 currently and EQ changes make a a big difference. I then tried the AK70 and changes to the EQ didn't do much at all, it's well documented on the forum, then I tried the quest style qpr1 and it was very much the same, any changes were so subtle it was hard to tell the difference.

So hoping that someone can confirm the EQ here actually makes a difference. From what I could see on the x5 mk3 forum it looks like it might as the EQ on that dap is noted.

Cheers,

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #546 of 6,207
Hi there,

I have a lowly Sony nw-a25 currently and EQ changes make a a big difference. I then tried the AK70 and changes to the EQ didn't do much at all, it's well documented on the forum, then I tried the quest style qpr1 and it was very much the same, any changes were so subtle it was hard to tell the difference.

So hoping that someone can confirm the EQ here actually makes a difference. From what I could see on the x5 mk3 forum it looks like it might as the EQ on that dap is noted.

Cheers,

Oh, it does make quite a difference. You can also install PowerAMP or Neutron if you want even more of a difference, those have way larger sway both ways.

FiiO DAPs tend to be quite good in their EQ implementation. I'm playing with Opus #3 nowadays and it has a finer control, and even using max controls either way yields in a more subtle result, but it is still quite noticeable. Not sure if it would be enough for nw-a25 for example, but with x7 mkii you can install apps and such while with Opus #3 you can sideload apps to alleviate this problem.

The default EQ function in X7 should have a sway of 16 bdB although I'm talking about X5ii, as I forgot how it was exactly on X5-3

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #547 of 6,207
Maybe FiiO can invest on Linux to avoid Android issues, problems, limitations and complexity.

They already have. It's in the X1, X3ii, X5ii. Ironically, I was able to open the firmware for the QP1R using the firmware extraction tool from FiiO. They're basically the same platform with different code for each device.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #548 of 6,207
20170805_171325_001.jpg

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #549 of 6,207
What are your early impressions on the F9? Is it worthy of the X5iii or X7ii?

I was looking for an F5 yesterday in the EU and couldn't find anyone with stock, let alone the F9. I might end up getting a Fidue A83, as I've always liked them on quite a few different DAPs.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #550 of 6,207
What are your early impressions on the F9? Is it worthy of the X5iii or X7ii?

I was looking for an F5 yesterday in the EU and couldn't find anyone with stock, let alone the F9. I might end up getting a Fidue A83, as I've always liked them on quite a few different DAPs.

They should be slowly getting to stocks in Europe, it looks like they're just arriving to Romania as well, I guess that if you're in a rush, you should order from FiiO's Aliexpress and such.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #551 of 6,207
Just picked up my X7ii. Using the same IEMs as I'm using on my iBasso DX200, the iBasso IT03. The sound is smoother with the treble rolled off in comparison. Sounds like the X5iii to me, but I haven't got one to compare at the moment.

I'm quite treble sensitive, but I'm missing that bit of sparkle the DX200 & IT03 combination gives. Detail seems about the same.

Probably not a fair comparison at this stage, with an X7ii straight out of the box against a fully burnt-in DX200.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #552 of 6,207
Just picked up my X7ii. Using the same IEMs as I'm using on my iBasso DX200, the iBasso IT03. The sound is smoother with the treble rolled off in comparison. Sounds like the X5iii to me, but I haven't got one to compare at the moment.

I'm quite treble sensitive, but I'm missing that bit of sparkle the DX200 & IT03 combination gives. Detail seems about the same.

Probably not a fair comparison at this stage, with an X7ii straight out of the box against a fully burnt-in DX200.

I have both Daps. Not same driver but ex1000 can bring the sparkle. Can you tell me which track is giving you sparkle on one but not the other?
I'm curious.

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #553 of 6,207
Yello's greatest hits, "Friday Smile". The sparkle seems to be improving slightly after an hour or so. I think it does have a smoother presentation than the DX200. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

I asked you on Youtube what IEMs you used for the X5iii review and you mentioned the Sony MDR-EX1000. I've just done a quick search and I can't find them anywhere other than Amazon UK, and they would come from Japan.

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #554 of 6,207
Yello's greatest hits, "Friday Smile". The sparkle seems to be improving slightly after an hour or so. I think it does have a smoother presentation than the DX200. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

I asked you on Youtube what IEMs you used for the X5iii review and you mentioned the Sony MDR-EX1000. I've just done a quick search and I can't find them anywhere other than Amazon UK, and they would come from Japan.

I was just curious. Whatever makes us happy is what is good. What is good? Whatever makes us happy :)

Yeah, think the ex series are only here in Japan unless a 3rd party vendor (pain in the aaaazz) is used.

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #555 of 6,207

Have you had a chance to try to play with the filter settings? I wonder if that improves the treble response :darthsmile:+

I was just curious. Whatever makes us happy is what is good. What is good? Whatever makes us happy :)

Yeah, think the ex series are only here in Japan unless a 3rd party vendor (pain in the aaaazz) is used.

Ex1000 seems to be a Japan exclusive indeed, no idea why. Since they are said to have a good treble, I was pretty curious about them as well, but literally nowhere to find them in EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back