FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #3,736 of 6,207
Nah, everything I have ever tried to listen to is very quiet. When I see people listen at say 9 o'clock on a POT, I'm like how in the hell can you hear that? The only places I have been that are too loud are Metal concerts. And only a few out of the hundreds I've been to needed hearing protection or wish I'd had hearing protection.

I have never met a headphone that is too loud...

I am also a fan of live Metal concerts :darthsmile:

After three or so, I started wearing cotton in my ears to protect my hearing, a live metal concert can be really loud. It was beautiful to see some of the greatest artists out there live, right in my hometown, and a big part of this hobby has been about trying to reproduce the amazing feeling of a raw live concert.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,738 of 6,207
Subjective comparison:

Hi all, I finally have my X7ii somewhat ready. I am now able to do some side-by-side comparisons. I will be writing this post as I listen. The IEM's will remain the constant, V-MODA Zn. I wear them cord down. I will play the same song on two different devices. My iPod Classic plays mp3 320Kbps files through a FiiO E12A, while my X7ii will be playing FLAC directly from the DAP. I understand this isn't the most even test, nor the most scientific. However, it's the best I can do while at work. Also, I will adjust the volume to my listening level and report for each device.

IPOM3wh.jpg

1. Opeth - Sorceress. This song is a good representation of what I like to listen to. The opening is a funky, jazzy tune morphing into a dual-guitar chug fest.

iPod - Volume 11 o'clock on the E12A. Vocals a bit more forward. Bass a little sloppier.

X7ii - Volume 90/120. A little more controlled. A little more clarity on the guitar and effects.

2. Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods. Typical viking Metal. Not too technical.

iPod - Volume 12 o'clock on the E12A. Slightly more bass, but not as tight.

X7ii - Volume 95/120. Tighter, more controlled. Harsher upper mids.

3. Fleshgod Apocalypse - The Deceipt. Great song. It starts out brutally fast. But goes into this hypnotizing, slow heavy riff at 1:54 that blows my mind. They played this song live and I about lost my schiit.

iPod - Volume 11 o'clock on the E12A. Slightly more bass.

X7ii - Volume 90/120. Slightly more clear, instrument separation.

4. Gojira - Stranded. Good metal recording. Lots of bass.

iPod - Volume 11 o'clock on the E12A. Deep bass, kick drum hitting hard. Slightly muddy.

X7ii - Volume 95/120. Tighter, more controlled. A little better instrument separation.

5. Cosmic Fall - Overhead Intelligence. Psychedelic Space Rock. Groovy bass lines and guitar jams.

iPod - Volume 11 o'clock on the E12A. Lots of bass.Bass is loose.

X7ii - Volume 95/120. Clearer, not as muddy. Bass is tighter.

6. Shylmagoghnar - Emergence. Progressive Black Metal. It's got fast, double kick drums yet recorded really well.

iPod - Volume 11 o'clock on the E12A. Thick sound, kick drum slightly recessed.

X7ii - Volume 100/120. Mids and highs a little more pronounced. Kick drum still slightly recessed.

7. Wo Fat - There's Something Sinister in the Wind. Phat Stoner Doom!

iPod - Volume 11 o'clock on the E12A. Thick and sludgy.

X7ii - Volume 95/120. Less harsh, more controlled.

Overall, there's not a huge difference. It's not day and night. However, the difference was definitely audible to my ears. And I'm not sure how much the file format comes into play versus the DAP. The end result is what I wanted. I wanted a quality DAP to play FLAC files. The FiiO X7 Mark II does this amazingly well. I am very pleased with the audio fidelity.
Wow how loud is that, i never would go over 50(only for pink floyd dsotm mfsl rip, most of my music is played back at 35-42 on my JVC FW01 which are 16ohm, with balanced i have never gone above 40 normal listening volume for me in balanced is 28. My question is how are you all able to turn it up that much with 16ohm headphones?

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,739 of 6,207
Wow how loud is that, i never would go over 50(only for pink floyd dsotm mfsl rip, most of my music is played back at 35-42 on my JVC FW01 which are 16ohm, with balanced i have never gone above 40 normal listening volume for me in balanced is 28. My question is how are you all able to turn it up that much with 16ohm headphones?

I go loud with ie800 and Beyer Amiron as well, with Amiron, around 100 - 105 on HG with no EQ.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,740 of 6,207

28 in balanced? Even at FiiO's default of 60 isn't enough for my F9. I know some albums are mastered lower than others, Roger Water's Amused To Death is probably the lowest I have, but 75 to 85 is about right for me on most stuff.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3,741 of 6,207
28 in balanced? Even at FiiO's default of 60 isn't enough for my F9. I know some albums are mastered lower than others, Roger Water's Amused To Death is probably the lowest I have, but 75 to 85 is about right for me on most stuff.

I can't check right now since I'm working, but that sounds fair, in single ended. I don't know how loud it would be in balanced, but it sounds fairly fair.

I listen to albums that are mastered extremely loud, metal and aggressive music, but I do go loud with it

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #3,743 of 6,207
I have the F9 and the X7 Mkii. If you guys tell me what track and what album (including year), I can measure it with an SPL meter - and let you know how loud it is.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,744 of 6,207

Because I can't hear it? At 50 it sounds like a whisper. I don't listen to metal at a whisper. I need to be kicked in the balls with the bass drum... Then, maybe then it's loud enough.

I'm also retired military whose first shop was directly under the Harrier landing spot on a LHD.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #3,746 of 6,207
With my Alclair RSM CIEMs my volume is never over 60 on high gain and that is the "fun" loud, usually around 50 though.

Dunu DK-3001 is very sensitive and requires very little volume to get loud, I don't know the technical specs of Alclair RSM, but maybe they are also very sensitive.

I go by experience and by how it sounds, DK-3001 can get loud easily.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #3,748 of 6,207
Can anyone explain the lowpass filter modes? I couldn't find any information on how they change the sound, precisely.
Dear friend,

So far we haven't heard about the feedback from ESS, so we failed to provide a proper answer as well.
Here's a chart a user shared before, not sure if it helps the same. :sweat_smile:
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 26, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #3,750 of 6,207
Here is the specs for the RSMs.
  • Four Drivers
  • 3-Way Crossover
  • Dual Bore
  • -26dB Noise Reduction
  • 36 Ohm Impedance
  • 110 dB SPL Input Sensitivity (@100mV)
  • 22 Ohm DC Resistance
Dunu DK-3001 is very sensitive and requires very little volume to get loud, I don't know the technical specs of Alclair RSM, but maybe they are also very sensitive.

I go by experience and by how it sounds, DK-3001 can get loud easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back