FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Sep 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #17,566 of 18,019
When you connect the player to your computer, does it show up as removable storage, like other Fiio DAPs? I understand that there are two modes: Android mode and Pure Music mode. Will the device be seen as removable storage in both modes? I'm seriously considering this player, but I have some questions I need answered first.

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #17,567 of 18,019
Hi Richard. I have never noticed any lag between play and playing, nor any lack of sound when the VU meter is active. You will see from previous threads above, that there are numerous complaints rearing the software "team", who seem to introduce new bugs every time they release an update. Some people think they are more concerned with inventing new "features" rather than squashing the bugs. It never used to be the case when "Joe Bloggs" was part of the team, as he used to make sure that complaints were dealt with promptly. It was very much against FiiO's interest when they released him and the software/firmware side has produced more complaints since that time.

I presume you are aware that the VU meter will go off to a different screen, if you touch it with your finger. You shouldn't lose the sound when pausing it. I have never experienced the symptoms which you describe, nor any freezing that I can recall.

Regarding the tendency to get hot, they do tend to run hot, especially if you leave the case on, or use it in your shirt pocket. The new mark 2 model runs even hotter. It may be worth trying switching the settings from low to high, where it could be run at a lower volume.

Regards, Dave

PS I haven't heard the name "DickyMint" since I was a kid, many years ago.
Cheers David, what I did find was that one of my SD cards is dicky and that was causing the freezing but somehow it has gotten locked and no matter what I do, it will not unlock! Tell you what though, the Trinity's sound better through this than anything else I have tried them with, might not sell the lot now! Well, maybe, need a clear out badly.

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #17,568 of 18,019
Wow, upgrading from the previous Android version to the next (depending on whether you have the beta firmware or not) is so confusing to say the least. If I decide to acquire this, I may just rely on OTA updates alone. I do hope that newer X7s on the market have the newer version of Android already on board, but who's to say?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #17,569 of 18,019
Wow, upgrading from the previous Android version to the next (depending on whether you have the beta firmware or not) is so confusing to say the least. If I decide to acquire this, I may just rely on OTA updates alone. I do hope that newer X7s on the market have the newer version of Android already on board, but who's to say?
it is not confusing at all once you start do everything within complete step-by-step instruction provided by Fiio. I have never had device with Android and keep updating all firmwares since 1.8 including all betas - through OTA, computer, without tool and with tool. Just be a man and empower your intellect))) Own it for a year and can't complain on it.

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #17,570 of 18,019
Cheers David, what I did find was that one of my SD cards is dicky and that was causing the freezing but somehow it has gotten locked and no matter what I do, it will not unlock! Tell you what though, the Trinity's sound better through this than anything else I have tried them with, might not sell the lot now! Well, maybe, need a clear out badly.

Hi Richard

Sandisk cards work very well, but you have to make sure they are not fakes. I always buy from Amazon (not Amazon Marketplace), or My Memory. Amazon UK are doing the 200GB car for £65.99 at present. (The 256GB is a bit expensive at £125)

Re it being locked, is it stuck on a particular screen? Will it switch on/off? The following may help:-

What to try if the FiiO players cannot be turned on or freeze?

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40697&page=1&extra=#pid108982

=========================

Regarding Key-lock settings

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42608&extra=page=1

Re your previous queries/observations, have a read of the following:-
From X7ii User Guide

Why does the X7 get a little hot in operation?

A: The X7 utilizes an SoC with high clock speed, a separate DAC, and (also separately) a high power
headphone amplifier and independent analog volume control in the amplification stage, thus
dissipating way more power than consumer DAPs typically performing computation, DAC and
amplification all on the SoC. Apart from outputting more power to your headphones, a lot of this
power is also dissipated as heat, thus causing the X7 to heat up slightly in operation; but this does
not endanger the X7 or the listener in any way.

============================
Why is the X7 a bit sluggish in responding at times?

A: a) High bitrate lossless tracks, particularly 384k/24bit APEs or DSD files, take more hardware
resources to decode, possibly causing slowdowns in the player UI. You may convert such APEs to
FLACs or uncompressed WAVs using programs such as foobar2000 on the computer first to make it
easier on the player. The sound quality will be the same.
b) Massive songs stored in the micro SD card might also result in operation delay.
c) Massive files of non-music formats like photos, videos stored in the Micro SD card might cost
extra time on identification.
d) Playing high bitrate files or DSD files from slow micro SD card might cause stuttering. Class 10 or
above genuine micro SD cards are recommended.
e) Disordered files (such as various APE albums and CUE files all put into one folder) might slow
down the loading speed. It's recommended to create folders in this method: first create folder of
different artists then create subfolders of different albums under the artist folder.
f) Different formats or bit rate files stored together might increase processing time. It's
recommended to create different folders to store different format files and choose playback by
folders to avoid X7 switching decoder frequently

===========================

Regards, Dave

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #17,571 of 18,019
Hi Richard

Sandisk cards work very well, but you have to make sure they are not fakes. I always buy from Amazon (not Amazon Marketplace), or My Memory. Amazon UK are doing the 200GB car for £65.99 at present. (The 256GB is a bit expensive at £125)

Re it being locked, is it stuck on a particular screen? Will it switch on/off? The following may help:-

What to try if the FiiO players cannot be turned on or freeze?

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40697&page=1&extra=#pid108982

Regarding Key-lock settings

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42608&extra=page=1

Re your previous queries/observations, have a read of the following:-
From X7ii User Guide

Why does the X7 get a little hot in operation?

A: The X7 utilizes an SoC with high clock speed, a separate DAC, and (also separately) a high power
headphone amplifier and independent analog volume control in the amplification stage, thus
dissipating way more power than consumer DAPs typically performing computation, DAC and
amplification all on the SoC. Apart from outputting more power to your headphones, a lot of this
power is also dissipated as heat, thus causing the X7 to heat up slightly in operation; but this does
not endanger the X7 or the listener in any way.

============================
Why is the X7 a bit sluggish in responding at times?

A: a) High bitrate lossless tracks, particularly 384k/24bit APEs or DSD files, take more hardware
resources to decode, possibly causing slowdowns in the player UI. You may convert such APEs to
FLACs or uncompressed WAVs using programs such as foobar2000 on the computer first to make it
easier on the player. The sound quality will be the same.
b) Massive songs stored in the micro SD card might also result in operation delay.
c) Massive files of non-music formats like photos, videos stored in the Micro SD card might cost
extra time on identification.
d) Playing high bitrate files or DSD files from slow micro SD card might cause stuttering. Class 10 or
above genuine micro SD cards are recommended.
e) Disordered files (such as various APE albums and CUE files all put into one folder) might slow
down the loading speed. It's recommended to create folders in this method: first create folder of
different artists then create subfolders of different albums under the artist folder.
f) Different formats or bit rate files stored together might increase processing time. It's
recommended to create different folders to store different format files and choose playback by
folders to avoid X7 switching decoder frequently

===========================

Regards, Dave
Cheers Dave, thanks for the info. When I said it was locked, I meant the SD card, it locked itself for some reason and I cannot format it, nor can I add anything to it, stupid thing.. 64Gb too! Strangely enough, last night I used the X7 for an hour or so and it didn't get as hot as before, it just mosy-ed along. Need to get time to play with it some more. Did I see somewhere a petition to get the TRRS connector standardised, if so sign me up, why so many variations? Personally I think it should be R+, L+, R- and L-, that way you can still use it in a standard 3 pin connection, no doubt there are other methods and reasons that abound!

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #17,573 of 18,019
upload_2017-9-10_9-46-38.png

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #17,576 of 18,019
Dear friend,

Thank you for your kind report and we will have a test about that first.
But I tried the artwork in FiiO Music main screen you mentioned. The artwork is visable. Or am I wrong?

Best regards
Try in the original blue theme with FLAC files stored in an external device by OTG.

When i click on it and open the playing screen and going back, the artwork is updated, but when song changes, artwork is not updated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back