FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 19, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #5,627 of 18,019
The human ear is extremely sensitive to timing artifacts. Though one may not be able to pinpoint the exact reason for degradation in sound quality you will certainly be able to tell the clarity differences when comparing a good with a poor performing device where jitter is concerned.

One great problem that I feel hasn't been considered about A-B testing is the Nervousness Factor. Please consider this: when people are tested, the testing itself can easily make the average person nervous. One may experience an actual mental block that will strongly and psychologically an accurate reception of sonic differences.
I am implying here that this nervousness, though somewhat subtle... or not, can verily impede one's ability to know the subtle differences, say, between one product or another. I feel rather strongly that A-B testing should be investigated in this regard.

Perhaps subjects such as  jitter can be seen in this light, as in comparing say, the AK240 and, say, the Fiio X7, etc.
What do you headfiers think about this. I believe this is an important consideration.

I would further wager to say that an earlier report I did on another thread on this site attempted to inform people about the diabolical act perpetrated by none other than Joseph Goebles, Propaganda Minister of the Third Reich, to successfully change the fundemental frequency to the worst one that could possibly be picked, the 440 tone, which de-emphasizes the 532 hertz love frequency! And Furthermore, emphasizes the tone known for its violence, 741hertz!!! This is, to this day, the fundamental and standard used to record, play and perform the music we listen to on a daily basis. Now, I don't know this for certain, but, given this attack on our health through govt. activities, I wouldn't at all be surprised if this standard is also used in broadcasting what people in America are listening to daily.

Now I propose that this musical scale, though subtle, I'll give that, even more because of its subtlety, is able to slip deeper into the mind and heart of the listener and... over time and daily use, may even cause a subtle listening fatique and maybe even a push towards discomfort and disease! It may even push people towards a more violent and hateful attitude.  I would like to say, I am reporting this on the X7 thread, mainly because I frequent this site often, but because I believe it effects everyone, no matter what thread they are on. Please forgive me if I am not directly addressing issues on this thread that have been brought up by my fellow obviously enthusiastic members. I do believe this subject is too important to leave out and let go untransformed.
Cheers to you all!

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #5,628 of 18,019
Another gem:

You are obviously wanting to spread Tera, lol
wink_face.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #5,629 of 18,019
Oct 19, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #5,630 of 18,019
Oct 19, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,631 of 18,019

Do you have X5ii or N6 for comparison?  I do recall you have PAW5k and AP100, so would you be able to offer your impression on that comparison?

I enjoy the PAW5000 as well as AP100, both feature smooth sound and punch well above their weight.  The X5II is a great power hitter with sheer volume being its strength, holding so much music via dual cards... but the X7 delineates music very differently, separating instruments and the rendering is very specific.  I've cited this before, but you can literally hear the number of strings in "Eleanor Rigby" and that's stellar.  (I also think an amp tailored for IEMs could be a factor in this.)  This is the best vocals have ever sounded on any FiiO DAP.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #5,632 of 18,019

I enjoy the PAW5000 as well as AP100, both feature smooth sound and punch well above their weight.  The X5II is a great power hitter with sheer volume being its strength, holding so much music via dual cards... but the X7 delineates music very differently, separating instruments and the rendering is very specific.  I've cited this before, but you can literally hear the number of strings in "Eleanor Rigby" and that's stellar.  (I also think an amp tailored for IEMs could be a factor in this.)  This is the best vocals have ever sounded on any FiiO DAP.

Your impressions are in line with a chinese reviews which I came across earlier today. They reiterated that the X7 is quite transparent and detailed while being non fatiguing. Granted, I was using the help of google translate, but the sentiment was clear, the X7 is a fantastic DAP, not only for the price, but in terms of absolute performance! 

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #5,633 of 18,019

Your impressions are in line with a chinese reviews which I came across earlier today. They reiterated that the X7 is quite transparent and detailed while being non fatiguing. Granted, I was using the help of google translate, but the sentiment was clear, the X7 is a fantastic DAP, not only for the price, but in terms of absolute performance! 

This is a significant step up for FiiO without traversing into the grotesque costs of Astell & Kern's high end merchandise.  Merely saying the price of some Astell & Kern DAPs can give your ears tinnitus.  FiiO is raising their game without raising their prices by as much.  "Detailed" is apropos when talking about the sound.  I've been using mostly full on headphones, but X7 makes IEMs sound much more dimensional.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,634 of 18,019

This is a significant step up for FiiO without traversing into the grotesque costs of Astell & Kern's high end merchandise.  Merely saying the price of some Astell & Kern DAPs can give your ears tinnitus.  FiiO is raising their game without raising their prices by as much.  "Detailed" is apropos when talking about the sound.  I've been using mostly full on headphones, but X7 makes IEMs sound much more dimensional.

Lucky its just tinnitus for you, I get heart palpitations after hearing some of the prices 
tongue.gif

This is one of the reviews I was referring to: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4111578241?qq-pf-to=pcqq.group
See what you think of it using google translate :)

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,635 of 18,019
  Whats the point of stacking another amp when the HM901S does it all. I do not care much about the UI. I do not stare at the album art.. i only go for the SQ.. Thus although i know the X7 with the desktop sabre DAC is coming out, i do not believe the amp section is as powerful and better then 4x OPA627.. thus i got the HM901S. Unless the Fiio come out an amp module with OPA627 i might be seriously interested in the player. However i dun think so cause HM901s is using 7.4V battery.

I think what was meant was "another amp module". The X7 has thus far shipped only the IEM module.

As for the HM901s Minibox amp card, since OPA627 is a single-channel opamp (and a single OPA627 chip wouldn't do much other than frying itself), this means that their 4x OPA627 effectively reduces to 2x OPA627. If it were a dual-channel opamp, there'd be only two equivalent chips. But since they only mention 2 opamp chips for the Minibox: "(2) OPA627 OP-AMPS and (4) BUF634 Buffer", and looking a the amp card photo:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/minibox-amplifier-card.html

it's clear that they have only one dual-channel equivalent opamp in the Minibox amp card. Whereas the Balanced Amplifier Card,
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/balanced-amplifier-card.html

boasting (4) OPA627 OP-AMPS and (4) OPA634 buffers, has only two dual-channel equivalents.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #5,637 of 18,019

Do you have X5ii or N6 for comparison?  I do recall you have PAW5k and AP100, so would you be able to offer your impression on that comparison?

There is a hope after all!!!  I'm cheering for X7 to cross that mid-fi threshold and to get into summit-fi level of transparency, layering, and separation like what you're describing.  Anxiously waiting for the review sample of X7.  And probably will be getting QP1R as well.  Busy review time ahead
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #5,639 of 18,019

Neither do I, I’m usually watching a bikini clad girl who gyrates in a cage while holding my DAP as I shine psychedelic lights on her.

Wow really?  Me too!  On what deserted skull-shaped volcanic island do you have YOUR lair, sir?  Mine is in the South Pacific, of course :)  Oh and how many minions have you got?  I've got a few thousand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back