FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Sep 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #826 of 18,019
can't wait toooooo long though, i hope its a musical dap and not one of those neutral flat sound signatures 

hifiman hm601 if it had just more features and amp power, it would be one of the best, but it lacks many things but they got the sound sig right which is warm musical and spot on in enjoying music.

I really hope for a dap we also should have the ability to be able to adjust eq and to have it done properly not like in fiio x5 the eq was a joke

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #827 of 18,019
It is hard to tell at this point... which would you prefer it be, analog or digital?
biggrin.gif

A well designed / implemented analog volume control would definitely be preferable to digital volume control!
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #829 of 18,019
Yea looks good.
The only thing that puts me off of DAPs like that (except the price) is size, I carry a (big)phone with me already and a wallet full of coins and that's why I stick to my Sansa Zip.
Rockbox? Well they would have to pay rockbox team to make one for that device, the company that is gonna do it is a winner for me (and many other ppl).

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #831 of 18,019
I would like to know how the selling price of the X7 can be decided before the specifications/components of the unit are known. Do companies just pick a number out of the air that they think we will be willing/gullible to pay no matter what the unit actually costs to produce?

The people who make these things know the price on the possible components (among other things before people get hung up on that example) and what they are aiming to make which is why they set a general price range before hand (and nothing more, You know they have more specifics in mind than they divulge at first. plus testing the waters a little too) 

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #832 of 18,019
I would like to know how the selling price of the X7 can be decided before the specifications/components of the unit are known. Do companies just pick a number out of the air that they think we will be willing/gullible to pay no matter what the unit actually costs to produce?

You could be cynical about if you wish, but I think that it's a target to shoot for, how about that?

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #833 of 18,019
I have just read that ibasso will be releasing a successor of their flagship DX100 mid-2015.... it seems they are competing heads on again?
This bodes well for customers who are looking for a reasonably priced flagship DAP!

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #834 of 18,019

Battery: For a 700$USD player coming out in 2015, 10 houres of battery life is totaly unacceptable... hell it should be minimum 15 houres and idealy 20 houres. If you have to make it heavier then be it!

Data Transfer: What still USB 2.0!? Its got to be a joke again at such price and by today's standard. You can already have USB 3.0 on a 15$ flash drive but at least since 90% of the music will be anyway on the external TF cards then I guess it doesn't matter much if it can help lower the cost as most people will prolly be using USB 3.0 SD card reader to make their transfer. Also why the heck have wifi?! It's totaly useless and will raise the complexity and price of the product to isolate it even further from the radio frequencies. It's really not necessary! Same thing for Bluetooth, seriously... no one is ever gonna use a cheap bluetooth earbuds on their 700$ DAP.

Memory: I wouldn't mind no onboard memory if it can lower the cost and create extra room inside the X7 to finaly have some real external memory and by that I mean BIG SD CARDS ***! Not stupid Micro-SD cards... notice how the Micro-SD is slower and much more expensive?! There is only 1 company doing 128Gb yet so that card cost 2.4x the price of a 64Gb Micro-SD card which is really outrageous. SD cards are so thin anyway that you definitely can make a dual-SD slot.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In my opinion I shouldn't have to pay more for my DAP than my high-end headphones. I currently use (Beyerdynamic T90) which are worth 650$ though I paid 500$ and I would never pay more than 350-400$ for a very very high-end DAP. If it cost more then it's either because the company is overcharging or wasting money on marketing, useless features, etc. I only want to listen to music, it's not a cellphone damnit so skip the blutooth crap, wireless, any apps, videos, HD screen, Touch screen, blablabla... and reduce the overall price.

In fact I would even say, scrap the amp completly so we can then only pay for the DSP mainly as you gotta be dumb anyway to use a 700$ DAP with the cheap built-in amp for your 650$+ 250Ohm headphone. Anybody with a serious mind will be strapping it to a Fiio E12 so I don't want to pay for unnecessary features!

That's what product mix for. You have X1, X3, X5. to match the customers budget. If you want more, you gotta pay more.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #838 of 18,019
Where did you read about this? If true, then that's very exciting!

Local head fi forum as a local member went up to the Guangzhou hifi show which ibasso had a booth in. Iems were displayed as well.

So next year, we will see these two companies releasing flagship DAPs at around the same time.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #839 of 18,019
Local head fi forum as a local member went up to the Guangzhou hifi show which ibasso had a booth in. Iems were displayed as well.

So next year, we will see these two companies releasing flagship DAPs at around the same time.

Ohhh 2015 will be an exciting year for sure.
FiiO X7 vs iBasso "DX200" vs Light Harmonic Geek Wave XD 128
popcorn.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #840 of 18,019
That should be interesting to say the least.

Is there any chance of fiio releasing a rev2 of the X5? It would be nice to have one that is cleaned up a little like the X1? No micro sd slot covers at a minimum would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back