FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jul 12, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #13,156 of 18,019
It happens with cellular phones, and it's not just the X7. Heck, my powered subwoofer freaks out when my cel phone tries to aquire a signal from 3 ft away. That's the world we live in and you can't change physics. The only solution is to go in to airplane mode when using external devices around a cell phone, or move the cell phone even further away.

http://blog.rfvenue.com/how-to-prevent-cell-phones-from-interfering-with-audio-equipment/

you could try a ferrite ring around your headphone cable...

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #13,157 of 18,019
It happens with cellular phones, and it's not just the X7. Heck, my powered subwoofer freaks out when my cel phone tries to aquire a signal from 3 ft away. That's the world we live in and you can't change physics. The only solution is to go in to airplane mode when using external devices around a cell phone, or move the cell phone even further away.

Isn't there any kind of case with isolation to RF interference? (Didn't google it...)

I don't notice any background noise on AM3 with my IEMS, I do clearly hear the normal background hiss from tracks, varying from the virtual dark to some very noticeable on vinyl rips or mastering - maybe some lower impedance IEMS are more sensible? ... FiiO advertised AM3 balanced with Shure SE846 which is 9 ohms @1khz ...

My 2 cents

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #13,158 of 18,019
Isn't there any kind of case with isolation to RF interference? (Didn't google it...)

I don't notice any background noise on AM3 with my IEMS, I do clearly hear the normal background hiss from tracks, varying from the virtual dark to some very noticeable on vinyl rips or mastering - maybe some lower impedance IEMS are more sensible? ... FiiO advertised AM3 balanced with Shure SE846 which is 9 ohms @1khz ...

My 2 cents

with my ref1 i do not get the interference 

but with my empire ears its like transference on crack

to put things on persepctive with ref1 i listen with am3 at 45 on x7 while with empire ears i get the same loudness at 23 on x7

i would have understood it if i had wifi and bluetooth on, but they are off

i wish there is a solution to this as i love my empire ears iem

i guess it would good if fiio can make a case that prevents such interference pick up

i wonder if am2 is like am3 

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #13,159 of 18,019

The thing is the user's description was interference picked up with the cel phone near the rig, not directly attached. That tells me a radius of EMI not specifically in the audio path. Not sure a ferrite choke would help in this case, but may be worth a shot. At what point on the cable would the choke work best would be my first thought. Also, the ferrite choke would be uncomfortably heavy from an IEM cable.

I've done some small experiments and I found the headphone cable to basically be an antennae for picking up EMI/RF from a cel phone. These things put out A LOT of radiation/EMI/RF, whatever, especially when trying to aquire a signal.

Edit: By the way, depending on the network used there may be more or less interference. 2G is incredibly noisy for my location and LTE is relatively quiet.

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #13,160 of 18,019
The thing is the user's description was interference picked up with the cel phone near the rig, not directly attached. That tells me a radius of EMI not specifically in the audio path. Not sure a ferrite choke would help in this case, but may be worth a shot. At what point on the cable would the choke work best would be my first thought. Also, the ferrite choke would be uncomfortably heavy from an IEM cable.

I've done some small experiments and I found the headphone cable to basically be an antennae for picking up EMI/RF from a cel phone. These things put out A LOT of radiation/EMI/RF, whatever, especially when trying to aquire a signal.

Edit: By the way, depending on the network used there may be more or less interference. 2G is incredibly noisy for my location and LTE is relatively quiet.

how about buying an all new cable , could that help and which one

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #13,161 of 18,019
Jul 12, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #13,163 of 18,019
stand by time isnt so great, in approximately 12 hours it loses almost 10%.

That's pretty standard for any Android device. 

Its easier to wake it up than to turn it on, it takes time. Just like ipod.

IOS works differently to Android, and as a rule of thumb, will have much longer standby time than any Android device. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #13,165 of 18,019
The thing is the user's description was interference picked up with the cel phone near the rig¹, not directly attached. That tells me a radius of EMI not specifically in the audio path. Not sure a ferrite choke would help in this case, but may be worth a shot. At what point on the cable would the choke work best would be my first thought. Also, the ferrite choke would be uncomfortably heavy from an IEM cable.²

I've done some small experiments and I found the headphone cable to basically be an antennae for picking up EMI/RF from a cel phone.¹ These things put out A LOT of radiation/EMI/RF, whatever, especially when trying to aquire a signal.

¹: that's exactly what i had in mind, and i have no clue what good it would do to have a ferrite ring around an antenna, it couldn't hurt trying. :)

²: i agree this could be an issue, but i'm sure people can mcguyver something together to make it work (if the ring helps, that is)

how about buying an all new cable , could that help and which one

i think you'd need to have a fully insulated cable, so that's in layers from inside to outside:

2 copper wires(or strand of wires) per ear
rubber/plastic, or carbon sleeve
aluminium/iron shielding

and the aluminium/iron shielding needs to be in contact with a common ground (the audio player)

so that's unlikely to be comfortable as a whole.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #13,166 of 18,019
I dont think so, in only stand by mode even my phone with cellular on(mobile data off and wifi off), it only consumes almost 4% overnight. And it is android

For stand by time i know android is less than ios, and i dont think fiio isnt capable to improve it

The difference between 4% and 10% loss is completely negligible when you look into how battery percentages are displayed on smartphones. The percentage displayed is not always 100% accurate.

Honestly, I think we should reserve our feedback and requests to FiiO for the issues that truly need addressing. Losing ~10% battery in 12 hours of standby, in my opinion, is not something that requires a fix.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #13,167 of 18,019
The difference between 4% and 10% loss is completely negligible when you look into how battery percentages are displayed on smartphones. The percentage displayed is not always 100% accurate.

Honestly, I think we should reserve our feedback and requests to FiiO for the issues that truly need addressing. Losing ~10% battery in 12 hours of standby, in my opinion, is not something that requires a fix.

Yeah i agree, its not something to be fixed but it'll be nice if they improve it :D

And btw, i looked into your inventory and you have lcd 2.2. Does x7 able to drive it directly?? Last meet up with my friends i tried he500 direct from x7+am2, and he said it kinda lacks power

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #13,168 of 18,019
  ¹: that's exactly what i had in mind, and i have no clue what good it would do to have a ferrite ring around an antenna, it couldn't hurt trying. :)

²: i agree this could be an issue, but i'm sure people can mcguyver something together to make it work (if the ring helps, that is)

i think you'd need to have a fully insulated cable, so that's in layers from inside to outside:

2 copper wires(or strand of wires) per ear
aluminium/iron shielding

and the aluminium/iron shielding needs to be in contact with a common ground (the audio player)

so that's unlikely to be comfortable as a whole.

i think finding such a cable and to guarantee it will solve this problem is impossible

maybe fiio will release a future balanced amp that does not pick so much signals and friendly with sensitive iems

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #13,170 of 18,019
Have you tried putting the leather case on?? In opus thread there are people who had RF interference, use the leather case seems solved the problem

i ordered one which will arrive in a week, as for now my empire ears iem seems useless with am3, as for sound it sounds good, honestly if there was no RF interference this would be one of the best setups i had. 

I guess for my empire ears iem I have to stick to the am1 

while with ref1 iem the am3 is fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back