FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 27, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #9,947 of 18,019
I wonder how that is? Anyone know why 256 apple lossy sound better than 320 Mp3?

No thats not my point, when u said mp3 360 i was like :"there really is a mp3 360kbps ?!?!?!  Ive just heard ppl talk about stuff like this off head fi !"(but i didnt really believe it)

so im assuming tht it was a typo so nvm. tot it was a new mp3 version supporting higher max bitrates.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #9,948 of 18,019
If you say so...:/

I do, and publically. It is closer than you would expect. Most good amps and DACs are quite capable of high quality sound. I'm not saying they are equal, just closer than you would think.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #9,949 of 18,019
This has me wondering how much longer we can continue to make better quality audio gear, especially the portable kind. Even if a specialized device like the X7 currently sounds better than a standard smartphone, how much longer will that last? Smartphones are getting better at audio quality too, and you see that with the LG V10 and G5.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #9,950 of 18,019
  This has me wondering how much longer we can continue to make better quality audio gear, especially the portable kind. Even if a specialized device like the X7 currently sounds better than a standard smartphone, how much longer will that last? Smartphones are getting better at audio quality too, and you see that with the LG V10 and G5.

It won't be long before the differences are rather small, if they aren't in all practicality already rather small. Beyond having bigger amps to drive larger headphones I really think people don't realize just how good a phone really can sound. Both of those phones you mentioned are likely amazing, and the push to one device is definitely moving forward. There will always be those who prefer and will pay for a dedicated audio player, but unless the reasons are rather compelling, that market is likely to stay the same or shrink.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #9,951 of 18,019

It won't be long before the differences are rather small, if they aren't in all practicality already rather small. Beyond having bigger amps to drive larger headphones I really think people don't realize just how good a phone really can sound. Both of those phones you mentioned are likely amazing, and the push to one device is definitely moving forward. There will always be those who prefer and will pay for a dedicated audio player, but unless the reasons are rather compelling, that market is likely to stay the same or shrink.

I have to say my wolfson S4 isnt that far off in SQ when compared to my X1 .

Even then, phone sq will never reach mid-high tier gear SQ. DAPs are thick for a reason.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #9,952 of 18,019
I have to say my wolfson S4 isnt that far off in SQ when compared to my X1 .

Even then, phone sq will never reach mid-high tier gear SQ. DAPs are thick for a reason.

Yup. Lol, daps are thick for a reason, that seems to be totally missed by some on this thread.

Imo, the x1 sq is a far cry from x7 sq. To someone that doesn't listen to quality stuff regularly it might not be immediately obvious. But to those of us used to high sq it is.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #9,953 of 18,019
Imo, the x1 sq is a far cry from x7 sq. To someone that doesn't listen to quality stuff regularly it might not be immediately obvious. But to those of us used to high sq it is.

You dont say ...... :\

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #9,954 of 18,019
I wonder how that is? Anyone know why 256 apple lossy sound better than 320 Mp3?

By being based on the new AAC lossy audio codec, which in its specification had learned from the mistakes made by the mp3 codec which limited its fidelity in the high treble no matter how you fine-tuned the psychoacoustic model, unless you went crazy with the bitrate (at which point you might as well use lossless compression)

No thats not my point, when u said mp3 360 i was like :"there really is a mp3 360kbps ?!?!?!  Ive just heard ppl talk about stuff like this off head fi !"(but i didnt really believe it)

so im assuming tht it was a typo so nvm. tot it was a new mp3 version supporting higher max bitrates.

That 360 was a typo, but LAME can encode mp3s at up to 640kbps if you use the --freeformat command line option. Not that this was part of the mp3 standard, and I'm sure the X7 would barf all over it :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 28, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #9,955 of 18,019
I'm sure the X7 would barf all over it
tongue.gif

Why? Crash?

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #9,956 of 18,019
does anybody know the pinout one would need for the balanced module?

TRRS
+R-R+L-L
+R-R-L+L
-R+R+L-L
-R+R-L+L
+R+L-R-L
+R+L-L-R
-R-L

etcetera

Do you mean the composite output port on the top? It's only got pins for L, R, ground and the coaxial signal I'm afraid. No balanced line out there :xf_eek: You would just have to wait for the balanced module or the K5 which takes balanced output from the 11-pin "USB" port at the bottom of the X7.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #9,957 of 18,019

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #9,958 of 18,019
Do you mean the composite output port on the top? It's only got pins for L, R, ground and the coaxial signal I'm afraid. No balanced line out there
redface.gif
You would just have to wait for the balanced module or the K5 which takes balanced output from the 11-pin "USB" port at the bottom of the X7.

i meant in general, there must be a standard, right?

i'm waiting for the balanced module, and as i am in the middle of purchasing new IEMs, i might get them balanced.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #9,959 of 18,019

i meant in general, there must be a standard, right?

i'm waiting for the balanced module, and as i am in the middle of purchasing new IEMs, i might get them balanced.

No, we don't actually have a standard that everyone follows.

However, there are two common ways of wiring a balanced connection with TRRS plug - the A&K version uses R- / R+ / L+ / L- for TRRS, while the Hifiman version use L+ / R+ / L- / R- for TRRS. I believe the current plan for the balanced module is to have a 2.5mm balanced with A&K standard and a normal 3.5mm TRS (single ended) output. The reason of choosing A&K is purely because, well, they are more popular.
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #9,960 of 18,019
No, we don't actually have a standard that everyone follows.

However, there are two common ways of wiring a balanced connection with TRRS plug - the A&K version uses R- / R+ / L+ / L- for TRRS, while the Hifiman version use L+ / R+ / L- / R- for TRRS. I believe the current plan for the balanced module is to have a 2.5mm balanced with A&K standard and a normal 3.5mm TRS (single ended) output. The reason of choosing A&K is purely because, well, they are more popular. :frowning2:

Lovely

appendix:

i just discovered that FAD makes another type of the FI-BA-SS for astrel&kern, and currently there is a question going to them if they can do a balanced termination on their normal FI-BA-SS. if they do it will probably be that version by default.

fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back