Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Dec 10, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #526 of 575
@Firedrops (and anyone else this pertains to)
Looks like version/build 911 of PowerAmp will be the last version compatible with our player. Something about the target SDK mandated by Google and VPF4 instruction set (?) not being supported by the X5iii's older SoC. I tried installing beta build 912 (now it's 914 that is latest) and the app crashes shortly after being started up.

I'd given up on using USB Audio Player Pro once its more recent updates mandated google play services be active at all times to start the app. I used to be able to freeze google play store and services once the license was cached. UAPP is targeting much more capable hardware, so use of the app is too sluggish for my liking, especially with the google play services handicap.

Now that PowerAmp won't see any further updates, Neutron Music Player stands as the only remaining Hi-Res-capable 3rd party player seeing active development/fixes available to X5iii.

Dec 11, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #527 of 575
@Firedrops (and anyone else this pertains to)
Looks like version/build 911 of PowerAmp will be the last version compatible with our player. Something about the target SDK mandated by Google and VPF4 instruction set (?) not being supported by the X5iii's older SoC. I tried installing beta build 912 (now it's 914 that is latest) and the app crashes shortly after being started up.

I'd given up on using USB Audio Player Pro once its more recent updates mandated google play services be active at all times to start the app. I used to be able to freeze google play store and services once the license was cached. UAPP is targeting much more capable hardware, so use of the app is too sluggish for my liking, especially with the google play services handicap.

Now that PowerAmp won't see any further updates, Neutron Music Player stands as the only remaining Hi-Res-capable 3rd party player seeing active development/fixes available to X5iii.

That's unfortunate... existing installs will simply stop auto-updating, right? Will it still be possible to install this final version (from the Play store?) in the future?

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #528 of 575
That's unfortunate... existing installs will simply stop auto-updating, right? Will it still be possible to install this final version (from the Play store?) in the future?
Yes that should be the case. I was able to download it through beta channel on Google Play so it kinda slipped through. So there won't be any accidental updates if you're using Google Play.
Per PowerAmp dev:
Yes, the new builds will be excluded for particular devices (old ARM A9 CPUs), but unfortunately these rules do not apply for the beta channel

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #529 of 575
I should note (for anyone still reading this topic), the latest few PowerAmp builds (since build 918) DO work on our player again. I guess support for the older ARM A9 CPU's was added back in. Hurrah! Current build is 923 939 and still works just as before.

One other thing, for anyone with root/superuser rights and a file explorer, by changing the following folders' permissions:
/data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/cache
/data/data/com.android.providers.downloads/files
from 771 (-rwxrwx--x) to 551 (-r-xr-x--x), Google Play store and Google Play services can be forced to NOT update themselves. To download any application updates from Play store you need to change these back momentarily to 771 (and then back to 551 before it gets wise and tries to download Play store updates). The stock GP Store and Services are far more lightweight compared to the updated ones.

Note with those folder's permissions set to 551 you can still download files from any other browser application.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #530 of 575
Hi,
I installed the 3.4 kernel on my fiio X5 from the 1.2.5 stock firmware.

Previous to the kernel installation I had purchased poweramp. Now I redownloaded it but when I download the app that certificates the purchase, the license is not recognized. I dont know if it's something ablut the google olay version running on this kernel or the fact that the device is rooted but I cant get the licence to work.

Any fix for using the poweramp full version or any recommendation on alternative apps?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #531 of 575
Previous to the kernel installation I had purchased poweramp. Now I redownloaded it but when I download the app that certificates the purchase, the license is not recognized. I don't know if it's something about the google play version running on this kernel or the fact that the device is rooted but I can't get the license to work.
Base versions of the Google Apps found on the player are here. Play Store and Services are sometimes updated automatically, or manually by doing the following:

How to update the Google Play Store

1. Open the Google Play Store app
    Google Play
  2. At the top right, tap the profile icon.
  3. Tap Settings
    and then
    About
    and then
    Play Store version.
  4. You’ll get a message that tells you if the Play Store is up to date. Tap Got it.
    • If an update is available, it will automatically download and install in a few minutes.
You can revert Play Store apps to their factory versions by going to the settings App -> tap Apps -> All Apps -> find Google Play Store (or Google Play Services) -> Tap Disable -> Tap Uninstall Updates. You may have to untick administrator access for these apps if prompted when trying to disable them or uninstall the updates.

You can restrict Play Store apps' ability to auto-update themselves by following the instructions in my post above.
The business of updating or reverting Play Store apps is entirely separate from the custom kernel, so there is no "google play version running on this kernel".

Custom kernel installer only has the ability to wipe play store apps (putting them in the directory of /system/app/X-Backup/ until manually deleted or by using the custom kernel installer's "delete system backups" function).

Rooting the X5iii, done with SuperSU zip in TWRP, doesn't stop license checks from happening as intended. Poweramp has either the full version unlocker app or a direct website purchaseID to input in the app. 24 hours after initial installation with an active internet connection, the license should then be cached and the unlocker app can be un-installed.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #532 of 575
Base versions of the Google Apps found on the player are here. Play Store and Services are sometimes updated automatically, or manually by doing the following:

How to update the Google Play Store

1. Open the Google Play Store app
    Google Play
  2. At the top right, tap the profile icon.
  3. Tap Settings
    and then
    About
    and then
    Play Store version.
  4. You’ll get a message that tells you if the Play Store is up to date. Tap Got it.
    • If an update is available, it will automatically download and install in a few minutes.
You can revert Play Store apps to their factory versions by going to the settings App -> tap Apps -> All Apps -> find Google Play Store (or Google Play Services) -> Tap Disable -> Tap Uninstall Updates. You may have to untick administrator access for these apps if prompted when trying to disable them or uninstall the updates.

You can restrict Play Store apps' ability to auto-update themselves by following the instructions in my post above.
The business of updating or reverting Play Store apps is entirely separate from the custom kernel, so there is no "google play version running on this kernel".

Custom kernel installer only has the ability to wipe play store apps (putting them in the directory of /system/app/X-Backup/ until manually deleted or by using the custom kernel installer's "delete system backups" function).

Rooting the X5iii, done with SuperSU zip in TWRP, doesn't stop license checks from happening as intended. Poweramp has either the full version unlocker app or a direct website purchaseID to input in the app. 24 hours after initial installation with an active internet connection, the license should then be cached and the unlocker app can be un-installed.
Thanks!
I've been trying to fix it but currently the X5 with the new kernel gets constantly hang, specifically when installing or downloading new apps like spotify or poweramp.

I have re ran the whole process a few times and I dont know if there is any step that could be failing or configuration that could help. At first it works fine and is way more responsive than stock X5 but then it hangs at opening, downloading or installing apps. Is there any probable fix for this?

I'll give a few more tries but I might just go back to the regular X5.

UPDATE: I reviewed older posts on this thread and realized a probable cause was that sd card was not on exfat. So far, with SD card out, it is working fine so I'm backing up all music on an HDD to format SD. Hopefully that should work (without sd, with playstore working smoothly, I even could validate poweramp properly)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #533 of 575
Hola buenas tardes tengo una consulta por favor si pudieran ayudar, deseo instalar el nuevo kernel, solo he podido completar la siguiente acción:

FiiO GPL Instrucciones de instalación:

1) Usuarios de Windows y/o primerizos

Hasta el momento es lo único que he podido hacer sobre fiio firmware 1.2.3
Por favor ayuda.
¿Cuál es el siguiente paso?
Cuál kernel recomiendan instalar?
La verdad no conozco de esto, por favor si pudieran ayudar

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #534 of 575
Hola buenas tardes tengo una consulta por favor si pudieran ayudar, deseo instalar el nuevo kernel, solo he podido completar la siguiente acción:

FiiO GPL Instrucciones de instalación:

1) Usuarios de Windows y/o primerizos

Hasta el momento es lo único que he podido hacer sobre fiio firmware 1.2.3
Por favor ayuda.
¿Cuál es el siguiente paso?
Cuál kernel recomiendan instalar?
La verdad no conozco de esto, por favor si pudieran ayudar
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...s-android-dual-card-slot.828402/post-14769688

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #537 of 575
About to buy a second hand x5 mk3. Depends on whether it really supports 512Gb microsds or higher capacity. Does it?

Consulted to FIIO they insist that I refer to the manual: only 256GB cards.

Thanks

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #538 of 575
About to buy a second hand x5 mk3. Depends on whether it really supports 512Gb microsds or higher capacity. Does it?

Consulted to FIIO they insist that I refer to the manual: only 256GB cards.

Thanks
1TB card works fine, happily ignore the manual.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #539 of 575
Hello! I've done a very stupid thing with this and seem to have bricked my X5. I posted on the big thread too but have a bit more info now.

I stupidly dived in before reading anything properly (now feeling incredibly foolish), and tried to flash the custom kernel from the stock recovery. Realising my error, I then proceeded to flash TWRP and the stock boot.img using rkflashtool/adb on Mac (as per the instructions). Of course this has corrupted my X5 quite badly...

I can boot into Android (stock firmware v1.2.3 currently), and according to the settings it thinks it is running the jkbuha kernel. The device seems to function sort of normally, but it is not rooted, and I can't boot into any sort of recovery mode (stock or TWRP, I have tried flashing both from adb bootloader to no avail). When I try and boot into recovery to fix anything, either from a terminal command or with device buttons, I just get a blank screen and blue light. No access to recovery at all.

I think basically I need to find a way of completely resetting the kernel through adb somehow. Please tell me this is possible and I haven't ruined my X5 completely? Would it help if I was able to install SuperSU somehow?

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #540 of 575
@dandandaaan ~ I see you're on macOS, which I was able to use to successfully get TWRP recovery working on my end (at one point in time). The link in my signature should point to a post...that has a link to macOS specific guidance.

(I'm not at home at the moment, and nor do I have the apple device I did before. . . but I'll still try and offer help where possible!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back