Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Sep 23, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #241 of 575
Thanks for the feedback (and for those of you who've already donated, thanks again). It is much appreciated, and to be honest keeps me working on this player to push it to its (hardware) limits.

A quick update for everyone. The last few weeks of development have been busy focussing on updating prehistoric parts of the FiiO code (ie: 2010) and enabling a whole new set of performance-related features that frankly wasn't worth tagging onto 3.4 as a release, so it's looking highly likely that 4.0 will be the next release. In case anyone's interested in the specifics head over to https://kernelmods.com or https://github.com/jkbuha/FiiO_Kernel_Android for more details.

Seeing as we're still able to increase the overall computing power and enhanced user experience by at least 2x when compared to v3.32, it clearly outlines the importance of fast, optimised software on top of any hardware. The results are frankly astounding to say the least, but you'll all see this when v4 is released.

Will reach out to the community in the coming days for beta testers. Watch this space :)
Kernelmods website is great, just wish that black backgrounds offered a toggle to white option for people like me who can't stare at the black for very long. I've tried some plug ins for my browser but they don't work very well. Can't wait for the additional magic of version 4.

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #242 of 575
Jkbuha: Watch this Space :)

Me (& be honest probably You too): 86DADAF6-B97B-4E5F-B792-33931DD2A9D6.gif

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #243 of 575
Kernelmods website is great, just wish that black backgrounds offered a toggle to white option for people like me who can't stare at the black for very long. I've tried some plug ins for my browser but they don't work very well. Can't wait for the additional magic of version 4.

Personally I prefer black as practically all my workspace is in dark mode - it works very well with OLED displays as the pixels don't light on, so... yeah I'm doing my bit for (what's left of) the rainforests. But I'll have a chat with prispewnic to see what can be done about a black/white toggle.

Sep 28, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #244 of 575
Morning everyone - latest version of the custom kernel is now officially in beta test.

This is a special invite to those in the community who have some time this weekend to give it a full performance and features service test - send me a private message and you’ll get the special build.

For the rest, stay tuned... release imminent :)

Sep 30, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #245 of 575
upload_2019-9-30_20-32-28.png

As requested... :)

All credit goes to prispewnic. He's the web and scripting genius. I'm just the kernel guy...

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #247 of 575
Morning everyone - latest version of the custom kernel is now officially in beta test.

This is a special invite to those in the community who have some time this weekend to give it a full performance and features service test - send me a private message and you’ll get the special build.

For the rest, stay tuned... release imminent :)

Update? Still in testing?

Powderphinger

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #248 of 575
Yes still in testing actually. Thanks to @WitzyZed's in depth testing I've discovered a nasty bug in beta1 that affects some specific players. Working on a fix that will be deployed in beta2.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #250 of 575
Won't happen today unfortunately. Still have one final bug to be fixed then will internally release beta2 to testers...

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #251 of 575
Anyone else have the issue of seeing the Welcome screen and then no boot beyond that? I'd say it happens to me one out of every 10 or so boot attempts. Requires a long (20 second) press to get it to boot correctly. Not really a big deal but would be nice to know why? Possibly need to drop down to mid speed?

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #252 of 575
Ah. So this bug appeared on <3.32 then...

Long story short, this happens when the player is (usually) connected in usb mode and boots up on a software race condition. It’s harmless but needs to be physically restarted.

V3.4 fixes this issue, but took me a good few months to fix.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #253 of 575
Ah. So this bug appeared on <3.32 then...

Long story short, this happens when the player is (usually) connected in usb mode and boots up on a software race condition. It’s harmless but needs to be physically restarted.

V3.4 fixes this issue, but took me a good few months to fix.
Just for the record, I never use USB mode.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #254 of 575
I meant connected to usb cable sorry...

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #255 of 575
Dear Head-Fi community

After almost 4 months of intensive development and testing, prispewnic and I are proud to announce the launch of Version 3.4 of the modded kernel for the FiiO X5iii. Contrary to previous versions, (and the main reason why this release has taken so long) version 3.4 has been developed using a bottom-up approach, as a lot of new code and commits were needed to implement modern day features such as the anxiety scheduler. As a result this codebase has over 700 new commits when compared with FiiO’s original source code.

As a result the new kernel feels much smoother and more responsive when compared with previous versions. Benchmarking app performance is always a sensitive subject given the specific focus/bias of each specific app, however with careful tuning the raw tests have shown to be same or better than v3.32, in addition to all the memory and UI optimisations on top.

Changelog

Version 3.4
New: Anxiety I/O scheduler (faster, more responsive UI)
New: Added dynamic fsync adjustment
New: Google services drain fix
New: Block scheduler code for more concurrent device communication
New: Kernel workqueue functionality for more efficient requests handling
Enhanced: Code Refactoring
Enhanced: Updating the kernel scheduler codebase
Enhanced: Updated hosts file - 170615 exceptions for no spamware, faster browsing
Enhanced: Improved tweaks and kernel settings
Enhanced: Optimized suspend code (better deep sleep)
Enhanced: Reduced device operating temperature
Enhanced: CPU frequencies redesigned
Enhanced: updated sqlite3 and zipalign
Enhanced: Faster boot time
Enhanced: Elevator code for future scheduler support
Enhanced: Added new Rockchip code for faster throughput
Fix: Removed occasional freeze on player boot if connected to USB
AROMA: Added option for enabling Interface Boost function

Thanks to all the testers who have supported this over the last few weeks, and especially prispewnic who has been daily testing every new build for the last three months. We hope you will enjoy using this release as much as we enjoyed building it.

Release Specific Notes

There may be a residual race-condition with certain players just hanging on the boot-up welcome screen if the usb power cable is connected. This issue should have been completely fixed, but if this still happens randomly, just remove the cable and reboot, and please PM me with your specific player details (speed, SD config etc).

Feedback and Next Steps

The next versions will be code optimisation and additional bug fixing. There’s a lot of newly-introduced Rockchip code that can benefit the RK3188 chipset (which is found in the X5/X7) and v3.x will be focussed on minor but performance-based releases. Version 4.0 will hopefully contain a newer version of Linux (3.10/3.18) which will automatically enable new features, but as it stands some of the existing code base is simply too old to accommodate newer features, as we saw when implementing the Anxiety scheduler.

Importantly, as of the time of writing, this is still the only FiiO player whose full source code has been released, and thus the only FiiO player for which a custom kernel can be developed. In other words, no custom kernels can be developed for the X7, M7, M9, M11 or any android-based FiiO players. Whilst there is a (minor) argument to be made for any specific kernel code that may have been developed in-house, withholding such data prevents the creation and support of a custom-driven community such as this one, and given that there are more than 1000+ downloads of the latest version to date; it definitely increases the number of such devices sold. Not to mention that the hardware vendors themselves benefit as a whole thanks to new code and design techniques which can form part of future players.

Download

Head over to https://kernelmods.com to download the latest release :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back