Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
May 29, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #61 of 575
how do you think I got the kernel working for myself months and months ago ? lol
of course it works. obviously as tools came out to speed up the process with access to windows, there’s an easy choice if you have it.

I couldn't find a link who tried flash firmware, only kernel. Fiio once speculated to produce a player without audio output, but unfortunately it was rejected. This is the first model from a competitive prize,
2 SD cards, and so on. My hand hurts again ..
Not surprisingly, it is sold out, even for a month canceled the offer
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_54399954.pic_0

May 29, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #62 of 575
Dear Head-Fi Community

After weeks of testing, prispewnic and I are pleased to announce Version 3.2 of the X5iii modded kernel. This release introduces additional new features and enhancements, including power-saving states (S0/s2idle) and RCU module enhancements as well as additional 2016MHz voltage optimisation, together with the round of improvements for the AROMA installer.

Changelog

Version 3.2
New : Added RCU Synchronization Mechanism (much faster)
New : Optimised RCU Settings
New : Added s2idle S0 state (better battery lifetime)
Enhanced: Voltage optimisation for 2016MHz kernel
Enhanced: Updated hosts file - 135385 exceptions for no spamware, faster browsing
Fix: Minor Bugfixes
AROMA: Added "Restore" section
AROMA: Added "Support the Project" section
AROMA: Reworked logic and scripts

Download

http://bit.ly/FiiOiiiV32

Installation

Install via TWRP as per usual. The installer is quite intuitive, but do read all the selection options as you go through the choices.

Enjoy :)

Thanks and Rants

Again, massive thanks to prispewnic's product features, suggestions and testing, and the great community of beta testers on Head-Fi and 4PDA.

Thanks again to @FiiO for releasing the first GPL of the source code back in June. If it weren’t for you we wouldn’t have this modded kernel, but please do release full source code for the X7ii, M6, M11 and all other kernels developed under the GPLv2, as you have for the X5iii. That way you'll have a happier, more engaged user community :)

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #63 of 575
Great performance, I managed to restore Google play and all Google services for UAPP. Just sign in to your account again. Very useful news !!

May 29, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #64 of 575
I'm not sure what I am looking for with the latest round of updates as far as faster performance. It goes pretty fast now, except for the slow Android boot up. I'd like to have a talk with Mr. Android about that.

One question, does the auto launch set ups do anything to configurations for each player or is it just a time saver for users. Only reason I ask is because I've switched to mostly using Foobar, but I'm willing to move on to one of the supported apps you have on the install.

Thanks again.

May 29, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #65 of 575
Thanks for the new kernel! Your work has been amazing. I’m enjoying my device a lot more now. One question, what is your favorite sound from the audioflinger options? I was using 1.1.8 option but I remember I read about 1.1.0 was the best firmware sound (I think the creator of Fidelizer said that). What is your preferred option?

May 30, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #66 of 575
I'm not sure what I am looking for with the latest round of updates as far as faster performance. It goes pretty fast now, except for the slow Android boot up. I'd like to have a talk with Mr. Android about that.

One question, does the auto launch set ups do anything to configurations for each player or is it just a time saver for users. Only reason I ask is because I've switched to mostly using Foobar, but I'm willing to move on to one of the supported apps you have on the install.

Thanks again.

Just a time saver really, until I figure out how to replace the Pure Music mode with the player of choice (which could be impossible, but you won't know until you try...)
I can put Foobar on the list as well, just need to know what its exact process name is (ie com.foobar.... etc) so I can give it to prispewnic to add to the script.

May 30, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #67 of 575
Thanks for the new kernel! Your work has been amazing. I’m enjoying my device a lot more now. One question, what is your favorite sound from the audioflinger options? I was using 1.1.8 option but I remember I read about 1.1.0 was the best firmware sound (I think the creator of Fidelizer said that). What is your preferred option?

Unfortunately it's a bit like asking what's the best vintage bordeaux (1985/2001) or best single malt (nikka). They're all a bit subjective, and it depends what's connected to the output.

My preference is 1.2.1 as it's the most natural sounding, but please do experiment with all envelopes to suit your listening pleasure.

May 30, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #68 of 575
I only tested the soundFx from M11 for 2 days. First a wow effect, after a long review, flew out of the libreverbwrapper.so player, and finally the entire soundfx directory. Terrible highlighted reverb - up ringing in the ears, without libreverbwrapper a little better. Younger ears will certainly distinguish it sooner. I think the authors are trying to improve the slightly dull sound of AK4493 (On my Topping DX3 is also AK4493). Now I enjoy the natural delicious sound and the soundfx directory remains soundfx.bak. Even my BD DT 880 says I'm the only right way. And Airplay finally works under Mac OS Mojave !!

TiborG, can you kindly outline how to install those packages?

May 30, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #69 of 575
Just a time saver really, until I figure out how to replace the Pure Music mode with the player of choice (which could be impossible, but you won't know until you try...)
I can put Foobar on the list as well, just need to know what its exact process name is (ie com.foobar.... etc) so I can give it to prispewnic to add to the script.

The actual application names for autostart are in the root/data/app directory. For example, foobar is com.foobar2000.foobar2000-2. This is updated by foobar today, so check it out. I also had to change the sleep value to 50 in 60Main, UAPP or Foobar collided with each media at the start of the mediascanner and SD 2 was not readable.

monkey -p com.foobar2000.foobar2000 -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER

Update - best path: root/data/data
Foobar name.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #70 of 575
TiborG, can you kindly outline how to install those packages?

I only tried SoundFx from M11. It is not possible without Superuser. ES or Solid Explorer - already unzipped SoundFx directory into the root / system / lib directory - back up the originals to a safe place or give the extension .bak, and restart. SoundFx for other players contains additional directories, and SoundFx files with other names that are not identical to those in FiiO X5 and M11. I haven't found any progress on Ibasso or others on 4PDA. Neither views on the results. Just like I got - the best SoundFx is none or Soundfx.bak and audio-effects.conf.bak. It is easier and more efficient to test libaudioflinger from Fiio firmware.
I have no idea what DAC and OPAmp has Echobox and Ibasso, if it's ESS SABRE so it's probably not even worth trying this tuning sound.
M11 was without reverbwrapper OK. But from ear to ear for everyone it sounds different

It makes no sense to test the sound of Diana Krall or the like. This also sounds good from a plastic cassette player. Soundgarden or Gov't Mule will show you the right light.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #71 of 575
I wouldn't advise mixing sound envelopes made for other DAC families. Sabre (X7ii et al) is notoriously different in sound performance to AKM (X5ii/M6//M11).

Also remember that multi stage processing in Android (libaudio+soundfx/musictx) does introduce a good deal of distortion as the pcm data gets passed around through the various libraries. Audio degradation in principle would be similar to Viper4Android (but nowhere as bad, given the outdated 16-bit handling of audio).

If it's purity you're after, disable everything apart from the libaudioflinger of choice and let your soundstage do the rest. If, as they say, you're after more colour, then mix away :)

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #72 of 575
20190603_081252.jpg So I finally got around to getting this installed, but have been having problems pushing 3.2 (I think?). The zip file is in the internal sd, but I think I'm stuck at 3.1, I've run the installer a few times, screen cap attached. Running Fidelizer 1.2.1

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #74 of 575
@lookingforowls

I don’t know know what i’m doing but I five;lay figured it out

Did you get.a setup wizard during the install?

If it helps. I rooted through TWRP

I installed the zip file from here.

/sdcard/FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V3.2-TWRP-Multi.zip

This I\was on internal sdcard

It finally ran it

There was a prompt asking me is I wanted to root my device at some point and I said no, maybe that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back