Fiio X5 Scroll Wheel Issues, Anyone Experiencing Them?
Jan 4, 2015 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

searchy

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I purchased my Fiio X5 from around March this year. They worked perfectly I would say for the first 3 months. After that, the scroll wheel started experiencing issues. Mind you, I used the device lightly during that time, less than 200 listening hours I'd reckon. Over the past couple of months, the problem has gotten progressively worse. Now, I can't seem to control the wheel at all, much less navigate to my music. Has anyone else been experiencing a degredation of their scroll wheel on the Fiio X5? I feared as much that the mechanical scroll wheel would start wearing out from the very beginning. 

I've posted a video demonstrating the quirks of the scroll wheel in action. 
http://youtu.be/cDIbG4UT4N4

Should I be shipping my device back to China for a fix? I'd hate to ship the device back and have it returned to me with the problem still there. Any advice is appreciated, thanks! 

May 6, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 12
Yep same problem.  My X5 sat mostly unused for months but worked fine last time I used it.  A few weeks ago I started using it again and the scroll wheel is completely wonky.  I'm going to contact Fiio and hopefully get this fixed.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 12
I upgraded my Fiio X5 (first gen) with the latest firmware X5 2.5..

The upgrade did not fix the scroll wheel issue - it seemed to me a contact issue....

So... because its very irritating I walk out to my bench/lab - thought MG Chemicals Nu-trol
would be the best... didn't bother with De-Toxit R5 - its a bit too strong IMO

Used a thin OLFA blade to lift up the lower part of the wheel and gave a 0.5sec burst inside.

Wiped the mess with a towel and viola works perfect now.

Hope this helps others... if this didn't work I was going to get he version II

Ed (TooCas)

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #9 of 12
i have fiio x3 2nd generation,and it has the same problem.at the beginning it was minor but after few months ,it has very bad response and moves where it wants.
i am very unsatisfied from fiio.
waranty in my country do not respond to my emails.(iran-namdaran.co)
i will not buy any other fiio players in the future .there are better players with better construction like astell n kern.at least it will work for years not like fiio that dose not work longer than few months.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Welp, there goes $400 down the drain! I shipped my Fiio X5 back to China and it never got back to me. Safe to say, I am never purchasing a Fiio product again. What ever you do, DO NOT SHIP your Fiio to China for repairs. They will claim to never have received your shipment and sell your product as refurbished. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 12
  I upgraded my Fiio X5 (first gen) with the latest firmware X5 2.5..

The upgrade did not fix the scroll wheel issue - it seemed to me a contact issue....

So... because its very irritating I walk out to my bench/lab - thought MG Chemicals Nu-trol
would be the best... didn't bother with De-Toxit R5 - its a bit too strong IMO

Used a thin OLFA blade to lift up the lower part of the wheel and gave a 0.5sec burst inside.

Wiped the mess with a towel and viola works perfect now.

Hope this helps others... if this didn't work I was going to get he version II

Ed (TooCas)

Thank you Ed.  This worked for my 2 year old X5 great.  I thought it was firmware that broke it.  It no longer skips all over when scrolling.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 12
Thank you, Ed.

You made my day.

The Fiio Service Centre in my country advised me to junk my player as the costs of replacing the scroll wheel and shipping to and from China would apparently cost more than the player itself.

I did your hack and I am back in business!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back