FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Feb 16, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #1,246 of 1,895

You guys must have really abused your unit 
wink.gif
.  The wheel on ours definitely had some play - but I wouldn't call it "jiggly".  Mind you - didn't you have your one in pieces?

Forgot to mention.

Review units are meant to be abused 
evil_smiley.gif
 to an extent. 

It hurts me to say this, but I knew full well that most aren't going to scratch their X5's or do drop tests on theirs. I'm NOT going to do intentional ones. But if and when they happen(oh THEY WILL) while I'm using it. Then I'll accept it and report damage that I see and compare it to other DAP's and the X3.

It's a known issue and I do believe it was reported in the Bugzilla thing(?). The jiggle physics don't help with the user interface. XD

On that note, for people who haven't used the X5, when using an iPod-like scroll wheel, what direction would you move your finger (clockwise or counter-clockwise) to get to the folder icon here?

Haven't used a nano in a long time.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #1,247 of 1,895
It's a known issue and I do believe it was reported in the Bugzilla thing(?). The jiggle physics don't help with the user interface. XD

On that note, for people who haven't used the X5, when using an iPod-like scroll wheel, what direction would you move your finger (clockwise or counter-clockwise) to get to the folder icon here?
be300e57_500x1000px-LL-b89e70ea_669259025.jpeg

Yep very valid point, they would need to reverse the action, I was myself expecting the icons to move in the same direction than the wheel, just regular iPod habit plus it's counter intuitive when everything else moves in the same direction. For an iPod user they would classify this as a bug or sometimes referred to downgraded features. :wink:

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #1,249 of 1,895

Hi, goodvibes -

I've used dBpoweramp to transfer the content of my CDs directly to FLAC (compression level 8). I'll be sure to try a few .wav files.

Regards,
Brian

This may sound odd to you but try compression level 'O'  on flac encoding. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #1,250 of 1,895
I find the main screen graphic to be more pretty than friendly. A Rockbox-like list would be easier. But I'm okay with pretty. It works well enough.

Yeah, the user interface is fine other than the "inverted scrolling" on the home screen and the loose/somewhat unresponsive wheel. Having a the ability to integrated SD card file browsing would be nice to have in case I forgot that I have album X on SD card 2 instead of 1, but that's not a big problem for me (heck, I can't even fill my 64 GB card). I don't use the media library, so that isn't too much of a problem for me, but I would definitely recommend having Artist -> Album -> Song as suggested earlier.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #1,251 of 1,895
I loaded some high res files onto a 64gb Sandisk Ultra sdxc and I have to say that it does sound better than my initial impressions. Some of them are 24-96 vinyl rips and it shows how low the noise floor of the player is - I can hear an audible hiss with these. It isn't a bother once the music starts playing though. I have some stuff from hdtracks which sound terrific - Paper Airplanes by Alison Krauss sounds amazing - it has a very black background and is crystal clear - just stunning. That is an album that is going to sound good on almost any player, but I do think it's a good one to show what this player is capable of. I have the new Miles Davis Kind of Blue Legacy addition, too, but it actually has hiss present. Still sounds great, but it doesn't have a deep-space black background on the X5 - it actually sounds like a vinyl rip, though I'm sure this isn't the case. If they could somehow give this remaster a black background, I'd never put it down....This second session was with the Miracle, and for me, it has started to live up to its name a bit.

I still find the UI super easy to use and I haven't experienced any bugs, though I've kept gapless off until it's fixed. Okay, that's all for now. I'm going to load more stuff on it tonight and spend more time with it.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,252 of 1,895
Hmm I really didn't play high resolution music on it but was still amazed at the micro-detailing of the player. It took me a little while to warm up to it. I'd say within 30 minutes I was hooked though. I was in the garage with my Aunt (it was turned into a theater), and was like, "I am so buying this when it comes out" lol.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,255 of 1,895
cattlethief has posted his impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/10511

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,259 of 1,895
I loaded some high res files onto a 64gb Sandisk Ultra sdxc and I have to say that it does sound better than my initial impressions. Some of them are 24-96 vinyl rips and it shows how low the noise floor of the player is - I can hear an audible hiss with these. It isn't a bother once the music starts playing though. I have some stuff from hdtracks which sound terrific - Paper Airplanes by Alison Krauss sounds amazing - it has a very black background and is crystal clear - just stunning. That is an album that is going to sound good on almost any player, but I do think it's a good one to show what this player is capable of. I have the new Miles Davis Kind of Blue Legacy addition, too, but it actually has hiss present. Still sounds great, but it doesn't have a deep-space black background on the X5 - it actually sounds like a vinyl rip, though I'm sure this isn't the case. If they could somehow give this remaster a black background, I'd never put it down....This second session was with the Miracle, and for me, it has started to live up to its name a bit.

I still find the UI super easy to use and I haven't experienced any bugs, though I've kept gapless off until it's fixed. Okay, that's all for now. I'm going to load more stuff on it tonight and spend more time with it.

You mentioned high res file first, and then 24/96 vinyl rips, make me wonder, when you say high res, are you referring to loseless 16/44.1? or 24/96? or something in between (e.g., 24/48)??

I have a friend who own a huge vinyl library, and I have heard some of his vinyl rips, in both high bit PCM and DSD format. One thing I notice that the rips are not necessarily dead quiet to start with, so maybe that is not a good starting point to show how low the noise floor of the player is.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,260 of 1,895
You mentioned high res file first, and then 24/96 vinyl rips, make me wonder, when you say high res, are you referring to loseless 16/44.1? or 24/96? or something in between (e.g., 24/48)??

I have a friend who own a huge vinyl library, and I have heard some of his vinyl rips, in both high bit PCM and DSD format. One thing I notice that the rips are not necessarily dead quiet to start with, so maybe that is not a good starting point to show how low the noise floor of the player is.

I think he means being able to hear the hiss of the vinyl itself distinctly from any hiss the player may generate? He did mention that some tracks have a very black background whereas others have hiss.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back